Rachel in the studio

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
No
What great eyes and I think the poses make the most of them, really draw you in. Not sure about the crease in the neck on the first, love the third

Nice, number 4 is a cracker :)

Pretty model and lovely eyes but as said the neck crease in the 1st and last is very unflattering ... not so much in the 2nd which is a nice take :)

Love the lighting Graham. I think posing her side on and getting her to turn her head so much hasn't given totally flattering shots because of the neck, if she's like Lorna she won't like to see herself like this, in 1 and 4. Number 3 is my pick, great idea and well executed and is flattering to the model. She has some nose hair (?) in 4 which I'd clone out. Just my thoughts, Lorna helps me see things from a female perspective.

Bright. crisp and well rendered.
Great face and expressions!
Right, the neck crease and the collar in 1 and 4…
otherwise each shot offers something different!

Oh my gosh! Number 3 is also my pick, that is just gorgeous! Such emotion as well as an absolutely impeccably lit and composed image!

Thanks all (y)

I'm running out the door now and will have a proper look at comments and reply later on... Nose hairs (well spotted @Morbid), neck crease and collar - duly noted :(

Love the lighting Graham. I think posing her side on and getting her to turn her head so much hasn't given totally flattering shots because of the neck, I think she won't like to see herself like this in 1 and 4. Number 3 is my pick, great idea and well executed and is flattering to the model.

I've edited Morbid's post to remove his personal comments and to save me writing my own as I agree with what he has written.

Nice lighting and composition, love 3.

Oh my gosh! Number 3 is also my pick, that is just gorgeous! Such emotion as well as an absolutely impeccably lit and composed image!

:plus1: To those comments Graham, but overall a very nice set apart from what has already been mentioned.(y)

George.

#3 Is stunning, very well done. #1 Looks like her head is on the wrong way around!

I rather think her neck problem is largely her own. A head scarf nicely tied would be a solution.
live the lighting and expressions, the quality is right up there....

What great eyes and I think the poses make the most of them, really draw you in. Not sure about the crease in the neck on the first, love the third

Thanks. I winced a bit at the crease when I saw it and mentioned it to Rachel, but she seemed nonplussed. I know why it is not desired and I probably would not have submitted it if she hadn't already seen the proof and wanted it.I think the eyes draw you in 1st and foremost and the crease becomes a distant distraction... well, that's my story anyway ;)

Nice, number 4 is a cracker :)

Pretty model and lovely eyes but as said the neck crease in the 1st and last is very unflattering ... not so much in the 2nd which is a nice take :)

Thanks Roger, see above for crease :D

Love the lighting Graham. I think posing her side on and getting her to turn her head so much hasn't given totally flattering shots because of the neck, if she's like Lorna she won't like to see herself like this, in 1 and 4. Number 3 is my pick, great idea and well executed and is flattering to the model. She has some nose hair (?) in 4 which I'd clone out. Just my thoughts, Lorna helps me see things from a female perspective.

Thanks Ian, well spotted on the nose hairs. I zapped them in the others, but the conversion had a different process so I didn't remember to zap them. See above for neck/crease... Thanks for kind comments on reflection image (y)

Bright. crisp and well rendered.
Great face and expressions!
Right, the neck crease and the collar in 1 and 4…
otherwise each shot offers something different!

Thanks Kokiak :)

Cheers Bethy (y)

Great 3 obviously stunning :)

Gaz

Thanks Gaz :D

Thanks!

I've edited Morbid's post to remove his personal comments and to save me writing my own as I agree with what he has written.

Cheers. no worries about the nose hair comment - I should have seen and zapped :(

Nice lighting and composition, love 3.

:plus1: To those comments Graham, but overall a very nice set apart from what has already been mentioned.(y)

George.

Cheers George :)

#3 Is stunning, very well done. #1 Looks like her head is on the wrong way around!

Thanks and haha for weird neck!

3 is stunning, and I really like number 4 also, great work

Cheers :D

Another vote for 3 and wow what eyes.

Yeah, thanks, her eyes are great!

I rather think her neck problem is largely her own. A head scarf nicely tied would be a solution.
live the lighting and expressions, the quality is right up there....

Thanks Terry :D

Lovely lovely set. Number 3 though, wowzer. I do like that.

Cheers Carl (y)

Just to echo what everyone has said above Graham, wonderful portraits.
I was immediately drawn to number one, the lighting in this is lovely. If it hadn't been for the title of your thread, on first look I thought this was naturally lit.

Do you have any BTS of your lighting set up?

Number 3 gets my vote

Thanks Simon :D

Now I look again on a big screen.. 3 is still stunning but the skin processing on it and the others is slightly odd, made worse by flickr over-sharpening as it resizes for embedding here.

It looks like the pores have been oversharpened, especially on the forehead, but there are some smooth patches too. And then the deepest shadows have been removed. I'm guessing that you've overdone the frequency separation a bit, maybe used too large a radius for the blur layer and perhaps 'fixed' colours by blurring further rather than sampling and painting.

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong..

Very nice set there, but if I only had number three from the set I would be very pleased with myself, just lovely!

Thanks all for the comments :) really appreciate the crit as it helps me continue to refine things, even when I think I'm doing an OK job... (y)

@juggler I'll have another look at the 3rd image but I'm pretty sure the specular highlights on the forehead are very pronounced in the original image too. Not to say I shouldn't have sorted it, but I was trying not to overcook things, so may have not paid enough attention to that part when editing.

I've chatted to Rachel about the neck creases and although she really liked the 1st image, we've agreed that less crease is more flattering, so she's gone with the below image as an alternative :)

RachelMarquez-138-Edit
by Graham Mayers, on Flickr

Just to echo what everyone has said above Graham, wonderful portraits.
I was immediately drawn to number one, the lighting in this is lovely. If it hadn't been for the title of your thread, on first look I thought this was naturally lit.

Do you have any BTS of your lighting set up?

No pull back shot this time, but it was really simple lighting in all of them.

#1 was a 100x100 softbox to camera left blasting light at her while she was leaning against the wall.
#2 was a 70cm beauty dish key with a triflector (white panels) underneath.
#3 was a 100x100 softbox camera left, high shooting through a pane of glass, clamped to a light stand and supported underneath by a white foam board on chairs.
#4 was a 100x100 softbox to camera left blasting light at her while she was leaning against the wall.
#5 was a 100x100 softbox to camera left blasting light at her while she was leaning against the wall.

She almost looks like she has cat eyes in the first. My favorite of the set is the third but all top notch. You said "Had the pleasure of working with..." Does that mean she was a paid professional model?

She almost looks like she has cat eyes in the first. My favorite of the set is the third but all top notch. You said "Had the pleasure of working with..." Does that mean she was a paid professional model?

Thanks for commenting :)

Yes, she is a paid professional model and actress. Her website is here - linky.

Great set, 3 for me as well.

Brilliant
3 is AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks Shaheed (y)
:plus1:
... and those eyes!

Lol, yes, those eyes are great and no 'popping' needed at all ;)

excellent images and one beautiful lady..stunning images very well captured ..

Cant stop looking at number 3. One of the most stunning photos i've seen for a while. Almost reminds me of a scene out of a film.

Thank you very much (y)

Back