Radio Triggers

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, Ive got a couple of SB28's I would like to fire off camera from a D300, am I right in thinking that the Elinchrom Skyports are the next best thing from PW's and a big step up from eBay efforts?

I'll need to pick up a set (trigger and receiver) and an extra receiver right?
Are there any other cables Im going to need to hook them up to my strobes?

How do the receivers attach to the strobes, or do you just leave them hanging/tape them to a tripod?

Thanks for your help

In answer to your first three questions yes is the very simple answer.

Cherryrig will be along very shortly to answer your last question and sing their praises. I think they'll be my next photography purchase. Or maybe a 50mm 1.4:shrug:

In answer to your first three questions yes is the very simple answer.

Cherryrig will be along very shortly to answer your last question and sing their praises. I think they'll be my next photography purchase. Or maybe a 50mm 1.4:shrug:

I'm here :LOL: :D

Depending on how many SB's you have depends on how many receivers you need. I have three flashes so I have three receivers.

The cable you would need to hook up the receiver to the flash is this one. Also while your on that site you can also buy the Skyports from there as well. Here and here.

The receivers come with a strap so I just hook it round the flash head like this
2201645699_d1efe1f1a0.jpg

Hope that has helped you out

I tell you what, cherry rig should be looking at some commision for the effort he is going through to sell these things!!!:D

Yea I know :LOL: I should be a sales man for them as I must of made so many sales for these things!!!

:D

I won't be surprised if one of these days I see cherryrig wearing Elinchrom badged t-shirt :LOL::LOL::LOL:

I won't be surprised if one of these days I see cherryrig wearing Elinchrom badged t-shirt :LOL::LOL::LOL:

to go witht he fleece, cap, and y fronts he has already got???

imagine the self portrait :confused:

I'm here :LOL: :D

Depending on how many SB's you have depends on how many receivers you need. I have three flashes so I have three receivers.

The cable you would need to hook up the receiver to the flash is this one. Also while your on that site you can also buy the Skyports from there as well. Here and here.

The receivers come with a strap so I just hook it round the flash head like this
2201645699_d1efe1f1a0.jpg

Hope that has helped you out
Thanks for that cherryrig.
I have 2 SB28's so will I need to get 2 of those cables or does one come with the receiver/transmitter set?
How would I attach my strobes to a tripod and/or lightstand?
Thanks for your help

In that photo I posted I use these. It has a hot shoe flash mount on the top and can tilt up and down then on the bottom it has a 1/4" thread on the bottom (normall tripod and lightstand mount size)

That's great, thanks.
So with the cable, will I need to buy one extra or another 2?

Depending on the amount of flash you have depends on the amount of cables you need to buy. Basically the same for the receivers as the Uni kit does not come with one of those cables.

I have three flashes which means I have three receivers and three cables.

Your transmitter does not need one as it just fits on the hot shoe.

Hope thats helps you out?

i bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack from maplins and used the cable(the one supposedly to connect to the transmitter if you dont have a hotshoe) for my 580ex11, seemed like a cheap option to get my flash off camera:). it was only bout £1.89

i bought a 2.5mm to 3.5mm jack from maplins and used the cable(the one supposedly to connect to the transmitter if you dont have a hotshoe) for my 580ex11, seemed like a cheap option to get my flash off camera:). it was only bout £1.89

Or you could do that if you only have one flash at the moment. That cable is a bit small thou. Depends what you want to do. I would say just get that extra cable.

Have now done some reading up. There is one tiny detail that puts me off the Skyports and it not having a battery indicator. Other than that they look the job.

Depending on the amount of flash you have depends on the amount of cables you need to buy. Basically the same for the receivers as the Uni kit does not come with one of those cables.

I have three flashes which means I have three receivers and three cables.

Your transmitter does not need one as it just fits on the hot shoe.

Hope thats helps you out?

It sure does. What are they like for battery life?

I've only had to charge my Skyports four or five times since I've had the first one way back in July last year. So very good with battery life I say but it would be nice if they had a thing to save the battery life.

OK, After the shoot at Herts II today I am sold on the ...... pocket wizards!
I know they are more expensive but they are the only gizmo's that will allow all of the functions I want, speedlites to be triggered off camera, trigger the bowens and trigger the camera.

I know they are more expensive but they are the only gizmo's that will allow all of the functions I want, speedlites to be triggered off camera, trigger the bowens and trigger the camera.

You know to trigger the camera you will need Pocket Wizard MultiMax's??? Which are soooooo much more!!! I don't see the reason why??:thinking:

would it not be cheaper to get the skyports then a seperate remote trigger for the camera?:shrug:

can the skyports trigger the camera if you had the right lead?

I feel like a politician.. swinging one way then the other! Good idea, now why didn't I think of that:thinking:
On a plus side I was suprised at how small the Skyport is and have to admit the one I used fired every time. Decisions, decisions....:clap:

so having read that, i would assume, unless you have the switch set to on, or fully manual (inc auto focus) it wont fire?

they are small arent they!!
havent managed to use mine much yet, but not had any probs yet

I had a call from a supplier of Skyports yesterday who says they only really work with studio ligting and not speedlites?! I want remote shuttering for some occasions where even a tiny amount of shake is unforgiving.

Hmm, following this with interest as I fancy a trio of receivers and one transmitter to fire 3 Canon 580 EX II's from the body. Getting damned confused with all the options though LOL

wel, cherryrig has got a few nikon flashguns and they work them, and i got it to flash my 580ex11, but not tried it much with mine yet.

I had a call from a supplier of Skyports yesterday who says they only really work with studio ligting and not speedlites?! I want remote shuttering for some occasions where even a tiny amount of shake is unforgiving.

If you don't want shake, then a cable release and mirror lockup would be a good solution.

As for doing both, I currently use a Canon ST-E2 (not much use to you if you shooting something other then Canon) for firing monoblocks, and speedlights. I have not had much problems outdoors with it either. The only anoying thing is having to tape off the pins for studio use, and then removing the tapes for speedlights.

If you need non-line of sight, you can also add radiopoppers to the ST-E2 and also get iTTL and high speed sync for speedlights.

Hmm, following this with interest as I fancy a trio of receivers and one transmitter to fire 3 Canon 580 EX II's from the body. Getting damned confused with all the options though LOL

if your going skyports, you will need

1 universal skyport kit(not RX version)
2 universal recievers
3 off leads http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=15349&1=PocketWizard++PC+Plug+to+WizardPlug (link stole from cherryrigs message above)

that will give you a case to hold all your skyports(1 transmitter, 3 recievers)
and the 3 leads to connect to your 580ex flashes.

if your going skyports, you will need

1 universal skyport kit(not RX version)
2 universal recievers
3 off leads http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=15349&1=PocketWizard++PC+Plug+to+WizardPlug (link stole from cherryrigs message above)

that will give you a case to hold all your skyports(1 transmitter, 3 recievers)
and the 3 leads to connect to your 580ex flashes.

That is all correct :)

Who did you phone about the Skyports and saying that they only work with studio flashes?? If you get the RX set they will only work (as far as I know) with the RX studio flash heads. The Universal kit will work with ANY other flash, if you get the right cable ;)

sorry.
saw viewfinder at a trade show recently. i,m sure they do triggers for on camera type flash for using remotely. they also do snoots, reflectors and diffusers that you can use on camera type flash,s too. and theyre very reasonable.
give em a ring , as i cant find there camera flash triggers on site.
we just bought one of these for a try.
http://www.viewfinderphotography.co.uk/product_view.php?prod_id=235

Hello, apologies for the late arrival to the thread. Just joined.

Can anyone suggest any reliable wireless method for someone on a budget?

I have a Canon 5D, plus a Multiblitz flash trigger
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=6299&1=Kepcor+IR+Flash+Trigger

And a Sunpak Slave
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/prod.asp?i=17415&1=Sunpak+DSU-1+Digital+Slave+Trigger

These items work fine but if I'm shooting portraits for example, moving the flash to the left, right or behind me the signal is not being picked up by the flash as the Mulitblitz faces forwards.

And ideas?

PN

Back