Rain Covers

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
Afternoon TP

I currently have a rain cover bought from a group buy "Scoff" did a while back

it served me well and kept things nice and dry but find its alittle stretch with my Sigma 120-300 F2.8

does anyone recommend a good rain cover? something that could cover this and say a 70-200 at a later date when i get one

Thanks

Bought mine from here: http://fotosharp.com/
Best bit is .... you don't pay for it until you have tried it! This company are in the States and they post out their rain covers, you take a look and either pay for them or send them back. They are GOOD though.

Alan

Best bit is .... you don't pay for it until you have tried it! This company are in the States and they post out their rain covers, you take a look and either pay for them or send them back. They are GOOD though.

Alan

Got mine from there... absoloutly brilliant and cheap... couldnt believe it arrived and then asked for payment :)

I have been using freezer bags and a strong rubber band.Works perfectly and is fully customisable.
Pete.(y)

Amazes me when people have thousands of pounds of gear yet use a carrier bag and lacky bands to protect it :)

Alan

They look good, would be the Camo ones i would go for though, wish they had some in plain black.

Never really keen on just the plain see through ones

Amazes me when people have thousands of pounds of gear yet use a carrier bag and lacky bands to protect it :)

Believe it or not they work brilliantly and I have never had a problem with leakage.The big advantage is that the "system" is always with you and ready for action in your bag as it takes up so little space.
Pete.

these rain covers dont take up alot of space

its something i have had and want to get an improvment, looking at a Camo one now and will put up with it, prefer the darker ones but never mind

prefer the better safe than sorry idea when it comes to wet days out with camera.

I'm a plastic bag and elastic band user, works fine.

Zero space, 3p cost. No need for any more.

raincovers take up less space and is in one part.. not bag and band :) It ties up at both ends with just the eyepiece popping out.. controls are worked through the cover...

Each to his own but I will stick to the raincover.. would hate to get in touch with asda to complain there carrier bag didnt keep my 6 grand of equipment dry and what are they gonna do about it :)

going to get me one of those camo ones this week

Thanks for all the help folks, had a feeling it would make a slight split in thoughts

I use one for my 200-400 and my 600/4, both home made by a friend of mine out of fully waterproof, thick material thats 3 layers thick. The front has a bit of extra material with velcro on that I can wrap tight around the lens then fasten down to the main cover. The rear just has a simple drawstring but is long enough to provide penty of excess material. I'd not go the paper bag route for these lenses as I often lay them on the floor etc and wouldn't want to risk tearing the bag out in the field!

Mrs Frac makes mine out of army surplus store supplied gortex leggings.

Cheap as chips.

I ordered and I have now received a rain cover from photo sharp.
http://fotosharp.com/ Hopefully it will stay in the camera bag and I wont have to use it, but with the British weather that is not very likely! ;)

I ordered and I have now received a rain cover from photo sharp.
http://fotosharp.com/ Hopefully it will stay in the camera bag and I wont have to use it, but with the British weather that is not very likely! ;)

Whats you initial impression is it good quality?

Yes I would say its good quality! Others have bought this item I don't know what they think?
With the exchange rate it cost me inc. postage £22.35 GBP.
I got the cover which allows you to use the camera on a tripod or monopod.

Kelv

Come on people 22 quid...its a plastic bag,,so whos laughing:bonk::woot:

My old fishing brolly beats the lot, even my feets dry, and the flasks hot

Cheers

Ive tried plastic bags, and in one instance I used a Tesco carrier bag, only trouble is the printing transfers very easily. I was asked: "what is all that that blue and red paint on your face" ?

PS
Its not just a plastic bag, its got pull strings and velcro :D

Hmm I have ordered off them twice before and not had a custom charge... I ordered a 35 dollar cover a few days ago and am awaiting its arrival... hope I dont get stung...

I used rain covers for a couple of years, various manufacturers. Only problem I found was after about four hours shooting in abysmal weather, I would start to get fogging of the eyepiece. Stopped using the rain covers and had no further problems (D2Hs+70-200 VR mostly).
Only thing I have had a problem with, was an SB-800 I managed to fry quite spectacularly at a torrential race meet. (To the point, one of the competitors stopped and asked if I was alright. Singed eyebrows and fringe isn't a good look!)

Ordered a rain cover from Photosharp, in the US where they do an approval thing so I get it before I pay, just been hit with a customs charge for something I've not even paid for, has anyone else had this?

As mentioned this is the third one I have bought from them BUT I just got my card through the door and this is the first time I have to pay custom.. 11 quid on a 25 quid cover.. I paid for mine in advance as i already know the quality..

I have sent them an email to ask why the delivery system has changed.

If I remember correctly ggods up to the value of £118.00 are not subject to import duty but are subject to VAT. Whilst the VAT on £25.00 is quite small, the handling fee by the UK Postal Service to collect that VAT is about £8.00 and that is a fixed rate irrespective of the charges they are collecting.

the cover was only 25 quid and i gotta pay 11 quid import duty.. how does that work then?

the cover was only 25 quid and i gotta pay 11 quid import duty.. how does that work then?

Handling/Collection charge by PO £8.00 rest is VAT on the product cost.

Never happened before from them.. lesson learnt.. buy british from now on :(

Cheers guys :)

Hi, my first post on here.. so here goes!

I would seriously consider checking out "Camo Macs", just type Camo Rain Cover in ebay and you'll find 'em, from scotmoulds

I ordered a couple, one for my Sigma 120-400mm f/4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM and my mates using one on his 150-500.

They fit well, with enough 'overhang' at the back to protect the camera body.

I got fast, friendly service, and at the price, a bargain product.

Cheers

Darren

Nice ..and thanks for the tip mate... But would look a bit stupid at football :)

Back