Rajar No6

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I am in the process of sifting through my collection of film cameras that I have yet to try out with a roll of film so I may well be posting additional request of help!!

Having searched on the internet, I continue to have difficulties obtaining confirmation of the aperture and shutter speed for the Rajar No6.

I have calculated the aperture to be F/14 (ish) by didvidiing the distance from lens to film plain by the diameter of the Iris although I expect it is most probably F/16 taking the fact the camera settings, like many others were probably based on the sunny F/16 rule.

As for the shutter speed ....again a little unsure ...sounds along the lines of 1/50

Perhaps someone owns or has used a Rajar No6 and knows exactly what the settings are.

Any help appreciated

F/11 1/30th is a fairly standard collection of values for old box camera meniscus lenses, dunno about folders, or why it would make any difference

F/11 1/30th is a fairly standard collection of values for old box camera meniscus lenses, dunno about folders, or why it would make any difference

I'm doing my usual trick of comparing the shutter speed against another box camera which which has a 1/30 shutter .......the rajar defintely seems faster. Saying that after a while of trying the two shutters, they seem to mingle together lol !!

Oh the joys of vintage gear .....adds to the fun!

I usually go for 1/25th of a second unless i know what it is, most consumer film from around that time was ISO25 i believe so they were designed around that. I'm sure 1/30th is the correct number but i can do exposure calculations in my head much easier with 1/25th as the speed, mostly because i use ISO100 film in these cameras with a ND4 filter over the front if it's really bright out. Stick with B&W or C-41 and it should handle a 1 stop under/over if you're wrong.

This might not apply for you but i work out the aperture on these type of cameras by using other cameras that have marked apertures, so if it's 6x9 i'll use my Afga Billy Record II to work out the aperture, 6x6 i'll use a Kershaw 450 folder, very easy to work out this way.

I usually go for 1/25th of a second unless i know what it is, most consumer film from around that time was ISO25 i believe so they were designed around that. I'm sure 1/30th is the correct number but i can do exposure calculations in my head much easier with 1/25th as the speed, mostly because i use ISO100 film in these cameras with a ND4 filter over the front if it's really bright out. Stick with B&W or C-41 and it should handle a 1 stop under/over if you're wrong.

This might not apply for you but i work out the aperture on these type of cameras by using other cameras that have marked apertures, so if it's 6x9 i'll use my Afga Billy Record II to work out the aperture, 6x6 i'll use a Kershaw 450 folder, very easy to work out this way.

Thanks for the ideas....using a filter in bright light is one that I've used before with other cameras however your way for working out apertures is new to me ....does sound much easier than the measuring method that I presetly use.

Back