Rally photography tips

Stay warm and dry. Take food and warm drinks with you. Sounds daft but sensible footware

A plastic bag to keep the elements off your camera/lens. Helps obviously if it rains but can also help if it's very dusty

You generally don't need more than 200mm so a 70-200 2.8 is ideal. It can be dark under those trees

A 24-70 2.8 is handy for close up hairpin shots

What equipment do you currently have?

Here's a link that will give you some info on dates, venues etc
http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Ant

Make photography second place to your safety.

Find a spot and once you are happy with the angles check your escape routes. Us photographers like the bends, rally cars like falling off the track on the bends. If you are in the forest stages a couple of good sturdy trees nearby to get the other side of will help.

As above, warm glothes and good boots.

Oh, and photography... set your mode to shutter priority or if the light is not changing much manual - you want to aim for about 1/125th second or even slower to get good motion in the wheels. If you are not used to it start at 1/320th to get your eye in and head down as low as you are comfortable while still getting sharp shots.
AF should be continuous servo and a 70-200mm lens is the ideal range.

Hope this helps

As Richard said have somewhere to run !!!!
Corsa45roll.jpg

This was heading my way yesturday at Pembrey.

If it's special stage stuff (not tarmac) considering using a UV filter (if you don't already) it may just save the cost of a lens if you're lucky and unlucky enough to get a stray lump of gravel come your way - only seen it happen once and I didn't - put pay to the weekend. Although it was covered by insurance it took a couple of weeks to sort it out and get it replaced. If it is a gravel surface also learn to turn you're back on the car quickly, depending on where you stand.

As above really mate,

Rally cars do what you least expect them to do when they go off so make sure your happy with where your standing.:shake:

Get a damn good pair of walking boots as the last thing you want to do is fall, smash the kit on a great big rock and get a facefull of mud, not much fun:shake:

Listen to the marshal's suggestions, they are usually (but not always) a lot more experienced than yourself.

Just go out there to have fun and enjoy.(y)(y)

Take a seat, a flask and always work out where you are going to dive next. Don't be lulled in by loud bangy cars as the group n stuff is that quiet you may not hear it coming.
If you can get an entry list, its a great guide and use the course openers for practise, that perfect shot can be ruined by an unseen distraction. It gives you a few minutes to reposition.
Lastly, accidents do happen, and yes I suppose these are the money shots but please if your help is needed do not thrust the camera forward and say you are recording the event, dig in, you may save someone's life.

Lastly, accidents do happen, and yes I suppose these are the money shots but please if your help is needed do not thrust the camera forward and say you are recording the event, dig in, you may save someone's life.

Important tip this (y)

Don't stand next to or even near another photographer otherwise they will come on the forum and slag you off for having the same photo as them (but obviously not as good as their's)

Never taken any rally pics but saw some advice that i thought was kind of obvious but something I wouldn't of thought of which was to get a spot on the inside of the bend, then when the car goes round you won't have the gravel/dirt coming towards you :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratfighter

Important tip this

Bitter experience I'm afraid, Marshalling the Dukeries maybe a twenty years ago, Sierra cosworth, left the road flat in 5th after missing a double caution. Three of us on hand, car smouldering, one marshall had to go to the radio car, chap standing by with camera wouldn't help. Got the guys out, nearly got hit by the next two cars doing so. Very bitter memory

Bitter experience I'm afraid, Marshalling the Dukeries maybe a twenty years ago, Sierra cosworth, left the road flat in 5th after missing a double caution. Three of us on hand, car smouldering, one marshall had to go to the radio car, chap standing by with camera wouldn't help. Got the guys out, nearly got hit by the next two cars doing so. Very bitter memory

Sadly I saw the same thing last time I was at the Blidworth woods stage (Can't remember if it was dukeries or robin hood historics). Car left the road and tangled with a couple of folk - and I saw a similar thing to what you described. All we needed to do was move the car a few yards backwards to give everyone room to get out or get the first aid folk in.

Never taken any rally pics but saw some advice that i thought was kind of obvious but something I wouldn't of thought of which was to get a spot on the inside of the bend, then when the car goes round you won't have the gravel/dirt coming towards you :)

This is very true, but there are occasions, when standing on the inside doesn't get you the shot - when they swing the back end of the car round and slide the it round the outside of the bend. It is the more dangerous place to stand and has mentioned above always take the advice/direction from the marshals, they will probably know the site better then you and therefore know the really dangerous areas.

I agree with all the above safety advice, especially having a sturdy tree to get behind quickly. I have never done rally photography, but as an ex semi pro driver from the Roger Clark period (gee, thats a long time ago), I can also confirm that toggers (or anyone) on the outside of bends terrify drivers because we know where we are going if anything goes wrong, or we over cook it.
Many pictures were taken in the dark too, and a large enough notice at the side of the road stating 'FLASH' was well received, it gave the driver a warning of a flash, it still didnt help with the momentary loss of vision after the flash but at least we were prepared.
Good luck and be safe.

I agree with all the above safety advice, especially having a sturdy tree to get behind quickly. I have never done rally photography, but as an ex semi pro driver from the Roger Clark period (gee, thats a long time ago), I can also confirm that toggers (or anyone) on the outside of bends terrify drivers because we know where we are going if anything goes wrong, or we over cook it.
Many pictures were taken in the dark too, and a large enough notice at the side of the road stating 'FLASH' was well received, it gave the driver a warning of a flash, it still didnt help with the momentary loss of vision after the flash but at least we were prepared.
Good luck and be safe.

Have to agree, I often thought the only difference between me and those on the outside ofthe car was the £150 I was prepared to stump up to be in the rally. My lack of competance was never in question as long as the cheque cashed.

Have to agree, I often thought the only difference between me and those on the outside ofthe car was the £150 I was prepared to stump up to be in the rally. My lack of competance was never in question as long as the cheque cashed.

So true ... I've been on both sides of the fence on sprints and hills, while I might attend training days for marshalling, have undertaken a comprehensive observed training programme and attend MSA seminars when directed for my clerks licence (I'm one of them as well), all the competence I need to compete is to be financially solvent! :D

ratfighter and Richardthesane I know exactly what you mean, i marshal on a lot of events and coincidentaly even if i'm togging I wear a hi-vis coat.

I was out togging on an event this year with a couple of friends and a car went off but was on the edge of the road, I dropped the camera (not on the floor, neckstrap held it) as the car went off then went to help the marshals whilst my firend were comparing each other's shots of the crash. I was less than impressed.

Help the marshals and listen to them. Recently had to abseil about 40ft down a bank to help rescue crews recover a competitior and the rewarding feeling of doing so is more than worthwhile

Back