Rallying tips please.

Edit My Images
No
Bought the other half a 1/2 days rallying for Xmas.

Thought I'd take the camera along and take a few snaps. Apart from keeping my eyes closed :), any useful tips that you motorsport gurus can give me.

Lens wise, longest lens I've got is a 70-200 (2.8)

Cheers.

Dav

70-200 f/2.8 will be ideal I'd imagine for this sort of thing. hopefully you'll be able to get close enough to the action to get some really good shots.

As far as advice goes, just the usual good panning techniques and (using S priority) a slower shutter speed to give a sense of high speed. follow the line of the car into the bend, click, and follow it out again, as smooth as possible, you'll soon pick it up.
If there are other people there on the day, why not try and practice on them first so you don't miss the important shots ;)

move around the stage/circuit as much as possible to get the best vantage point, as low as you can get to the ground also works well.

on the outside of bends (if they will even let you stand there), a faster shutter speed (your f/2.8 should be perfect for this) and closeups through the windscreen for the grin on the face of your other half, and the face of horror from the instructor :LOL:

With your camera and lens you should have no problem with cropping-in tighter on the computer afterwards if you need to, but a Low ISO will help keep the quality if you think you need to do this, depending on how the light/weather is. and RAW is the way forward for this type of thing, you'll probably want to tweak some Exposure/WB afterwards. (i'm probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, arn't I?). anyway..

Good luck, Dav! please post your results here and you can get some good c+c from people far more experienced than me.

Last edited:
James. Thanks for taking the time to reply in depth. I've taken all that on board :)

Biggest tip I can offer is to try and get there a day early and walk the stages making notes (including checking a compass for sun position).

You get very little out of any motorsport from a new circuit/stage without some recon, which either means that you potentially have a wasted day and come back next season/event/year or you spend a day getting in some intel.

Far harder with rally though, more miles to walk... you could always cheat though and go with someone who has done it before and use their leg work.

Certainly you have to walk, lots... and lots. Make sure you have decent outdoor clothing and food and drink... I'm no rally expert, but the number of numpties you see with white trainers and no rain gear miles out in the woods and hills is mental.

If its a rally experience then chances are it will be run on the same small circuit with limited access to spectators. What company is it? It might be a place other members have photographed.

Last edited:
How about having a chat with the school, they may know some good spots for you. Looking at the wenbsite you should have plenty of opportunity for practise.

How about having a chat with the school, they may know some good spots for you. Looking at the wenbsite you should have plenty of opportunity for practise.

Thanks Richard - I certainly will be calling to have a chat. Probably offer to throw some images their way IF (big IF) I can get anything good. Car photography is not my thing!

Cheers.

Dav

70-200 is a perfect lens for Rallying from ordinary spectator vantage points - on the outside of a corner far enough away so that you're not in danger.
A better shot is the inside of a corner with a UWA. This should be safe but you'll often not be allowed there.
It might be that you'll get there with your other half in the passenger seat, as obviously the instructors are inch perfect.

Back