RAM alam a question

Name
Melvyn
Edit My Images
No
4 months ago I bought a new HP laptop with windows home 64bit and 4GB of ram. I was told this would be enough to run Elements 15. It worked ok for about 3 months. Then it started saying.Not enough RAM to perform this task when converting DNG file to Jpeg. I checked the RAM and it showed 2gb being used by a commpresed file. I went through all the files and apps. Uninstalling one at a time. Non of them made a differance to the RAM. My question is . Should windows 10 take up 2gb of ram. I have returned the computer and got a refund. So this is an academic question.

W10 needs minimum 1GB for 32bit version and 2GB for the 64bit version......but these are minimums.

Plus Adobe say minimum 4GB ram for element 15

IMO that laptop is very much under "powered" especially if the ram is also shared to run the graphics !!!

Last edited:

I know nothing of window but…

My late 2017 iMac was ordered with the base RAW of 8GB — now 32GB.

My problem was a lack of memory too… alone Mac OS 11.13.4 is taking
1.56GB. Add to that a RAW converter fed with 300+ files and a pixel editor,
+ Mail + browser +, +, +… really had to up the RAM, now all is ok!

yeah minimums are just that.

8gb for w10 with a few progs running

I really don't get why manufacturers think that 4GB of ram is enough for Win10, even my 400 quid HP laptop came with 8GB and Win 8.1 and that was a few years ago.

It is an absolute joke that PC`s are still sold with 4GB RAM.

It is a pathetic amount and I'm sure I had more than that in cheap laptops 10 years ago.

Then RAM prices rocketed and people are trying to say 4 and 8 is great, well its not

Back