Rangefinder brightness fix

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
The rangefinder image in my Olympus 35 RC wasn't quite a bright as I'd have liked, so I tried the "black tape" fix that I'd seen online. It makes a huge difference! The image is much brighter now and I can easily focus on things that would've been quite indistinct before.

The process basically involves sticking a small piece of black electrical tape on the front of the viewfinder. This increases contrast. It took me a bit of faffing to get the piece of tape to the right size (and it still might be slightly too big), but it's been a worthwhile exercise.

This webpage gives some details in case anyone else is interested: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs BTW. :)

Last edited:
I tried this on one of my Voigtlander Vitomatics and in some cases it does make things easier, I did find though that in some lighting situations (and I honestly cant remember whether it was bright light or darker places) it made it very difficult so I eventually took it off.

I coloured the entire round window on my Fed 1 red using a sharpie. While the view is red, it does seem to improve the contrast in lower light. The rangefinder on the Fed is like looking through a peephole anyway so any improvement is a bonus!

Back