Rant!!!

New plan - getting divorced instead :D

With the money saved on not paying a huge mortgage, I will:
get the aircon on the Mondy sorted and put on a twin zorst (keeping standard bodykit as you don't see many twin zorst non-ST cars around).
Do the 3.0l conversion on the Cougie - 350 bhp target :D

lol! mines got 164k on the clock and still(just)running!

The Mondy's on 105k with a 55k engine put in back in the summer (HG failure!).
The Cougie's still on 42K, so the engine should be good for a while yet, til I can afford the £6k for the engine conversion.

i remember owning a mondeo once.......it was quite nice to, ask matty ,

MyPix

Arkady said:
Do the 3.0l conversion on the Cougie - 350 bhp target :D

Surely you can't get that down through the front wheels :shock: . Must admit the Probe 24V I had years ago had a cracking engine, but I blew the gearbox :( Still one of the best drives out.....I tried Audi's, beemers etc at the time & couldn't find anything that was as good as an overall package.

Apparently you can. One of the guys on the Cougar Forums has done it (a year ago and still going very strong). He was worried about the very same thing, but he says it's very civilised, even in the wet. Needs a Quaife LSD though. He's supercharged his to get the quoted 350Bhp, so un-charged, mine won't get anywhere near. 250-80 would be reasonable though.

I think all the mods have cost him in the region of £12k.
Considering you can pick up a Cougie for £4.5K it works out cheap for something that will kill an M3 stone dead.

The engine in the V6 Cougar is the same as the Probe and most people regard the Cougar as the Probes successor.

the Probe was a mondeo in a fancy coat, thats why it drives so well...

As is the Cougar - with the ST suspension though.

The company that does the engine mods used a Mondeo as the test bed for the process - Autocraft down near Salisbury.
Here's a link to the relevant thread on the 'Other Place'...

http://cougarforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=4674

*splutter* why not the Cougar Enthusiast Group?????? or does that still only have a few members

I go on both - but there's only about 4 peeps on CEG, all of whom are on the other site anyway.
I keep popping back to see if there's anything new, but posts I made 6 months ago are still unchanged.

Matty said:
the Probe was a mondeo in a fancy coat, thats why it drives so well...

Are you sure ? I thought it had the same chassis/running gear as Mazda 626 .

Nope - it's a Mk2 Mondeo ST underneath. About 70% of the car is interchangeable - engine, transmission, suspension, brakes, electrics etc.

DJW said:
Are you sure ? I thought it had the same chassis/running gear as Mazda 626 .

I thought so too.:smilenod: My 24 valve Probe was the first new car I ever bought. I kept it nearly 3 years and only had to replace an interior light bulb in that time. I enjoyed the car, couldn't really fault it except it was prone to torque steer which could catch you out sometimes.

Didn't the Probe use the Mazda V6 lump? I thought it was only when the Mondeo V6 came out that they used the Duratecs...?

(Not that this thread has disappeared off-topic at all... lol)

I win !!!! Taken from the UK Ford Probe owners club here :- http://www.ukpoc.co.uk/history.htm

"For the 1993 model year, the Ford and Mazda design teams merged once again to give the Probe a complete restyling and the second generation Probe was born. Again the new Probe was to share it's understructure with Mazda's MX-6 and 626. Ford concentrated on the interior and exterior styling, while Mazda engineered the engine and chassis."

i think the probe was developed as a replacement for the Mustang originally, but the mustang stayed put, it was developed by Mazda and Ford jointly, but used the Contour as its base, which is of course a mondeo, but in american

Yes - that was the Probe - the Mondeo and Cougar had a different engine, designed in part by Terry Haines at Cosworth USA from '95 onwards.

Once again for Matty ;)

"In 1982, as gas prices soared, Ford began work on what was to be the new fourth generation Mustang, replacing the old, bulky rear wheel drive muscle car design with a sleek, fuel efficient front wheel drive design of tomorrow, and like previous models, designed, engineered, and built by Ford. It was also an attempt to counter General Motors' GM80 plan, which was to offer a front wheel drive Firebird/Camaro platform by 1990.

The new design was coded the SN8 and was lead by Barry Johnson. In early 1983, Ford got outof the engineering side of the equation when it struck a deal with Mazda, of whom Ford owned 25%, giving Johnson and his team the Mazda 626 as a platform to build their new car on. The 626 platform was exactly what Ford was looking for, small with front-wheel drive"

The Probe was a fairly big flop by Ford sales standards both here and in the US, (they sold less than 100,000 in the whole of the UK IIRC) and they depreciate horrendously, so are a great 2nd hand buy.

no DJW is right, *shudders*

the cougar is directly related to the mondeo, and the probe the mazda..

answers.com = all knowing

i hate being wrong

going to ban you all now

I must be wearing my Harry Potter Invisibilty Cape again...:suspect1:

Thats's cuz your always right on the Photography stuff, so we can't let you answer other subjects also ;)

sorry Rob, i got so wrapped up in being wrong i completely forgot about you....

Or maybe like in "a few good men" in JN's voice....." YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" ;) lol

DJW said:
Or maybe like in "a few good men" in JN's voice....." YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH" ;) lol

heh, yeah..i really hate being wrong...:suspect1:

Back