Rapeseed field location?

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I really want to photograph a rapeseed field and although there are plenty in my area. A lot of them are hard to get to without the farmer chasing me out.

Does anyone have any good locations for rapeseed fields somewhere in the Hertfordshire vicinity?

Alternatively you could talk to the farmer first and explain what you want to do. Most of them are reasonable people and then you wouldn't get chased out.

I did a shoot in a rapeseed field last week, beides almost loosing my exhurst pipe going down the farmers track, the 2 models and myself were covered in yellow pollen.

And Waynes sugestion about a crop circle would be great...........just make your own as we all know ALL crop circles are man made. (might the accused of being Alienist now)

And thanks to Matt from Oxford for suggesting the location.............the invoice for a new exhurst will be in the post to you ASAP LOL

Last edited:
Come over here to Cambridgeshire, seems like every field is full of the disgusting yellow stuff, not the best thing for hay fever and asthma sufferers.

Must be a lot of money in rapeseed oil, hope it tastes nicer than the vile plants smell

I did a shoot in a rapeseed field last week, beides almost loosing my exhurst pipe going down the farmers track, the 2 models and myself were covered in yellow pollen.

And Waynes sugestion about a crop circle would be great...........just make your own as we all know ALL crop circles are man made. (might the accused of being Alienist now)

And thanks to Matt from Oxford for suggesting the location.............the invoice for a new exhurst will be in the post to you ASAP LOL

I won't be the aliens probing you if farmer Palmer catches you doing that ;)

I really want to photograph a rapeseed field and although there are plenty in my area. A lot of them are hard to get to without the farmer chasing me out.

Does anyone have any good locations for rapeseed fields somewhere in the Hertfordshire vicinity?

Whilst I can not help you out with locations. Are you serious about being chased out for taking photos of Osr? I often see folk photographing my crops. I take it as a huge compliment.

If you could get a hold of an OS map for your area, you may find that there are public rights of way that run through or around some places that you want to photograph. There's a rapeseed field near me with one running right by the side of it that I used for this shot

Loughborough Outwoods - Sea of Yellow by philipJvernon, on Flickr

There are a couple of rapeseed fields in Shenley, Hertfordshire (WD7)and there is a public rights of way through one of the fields.

Can't wait for our Linseed fields to ripen beautiful seas of blue and white (y)

Huge areas of Salisbury Plain are bright, horrible yellow at the moment. One of our customers farms 10,000 acres on the Plain so some of it must be his; I expect I can get the OP an introduction if needed. I suspect crop circles will be off the menu though. I know one local farmer who allows crop circles in one of his fields each year and he's a bit ****ed off with the amount of damage caused.

Last edited:
I just drove around until I found some next to the road.

Took these last week....

5684980382_79c44594e3_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5690684325_d69f2fc85b_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5692932654_48808e0842_z.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Whereabouts in Oxfordshire was the location? I'd be very grateful if you could please let me know!

That was 8 years ago...:)

:ROFLMAO: I was reading through it thinking 'are they in flower already?' - I guess they probably are, keep forgetting it's April, but I thought May was when they were in full bloom?

I love the colour of the fields, but rapeseed oil is muck, s***ty veg oil ... All about Olive oil me.

Every bloody where, stinking vile stuff.
Allergies are ten times worse since this disgusting stuff is grown in every available field.
Even more smelly after rain, not surprising given its a member of the cabbage family.
Sorry, now what was the question?

Just realised I repeated last years rant, didn't know it was a thread resurrection
Apparently it's the mainstay of bio fuel, buses here run on it, no danger of running out then.

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I drove past one today (with my camera bag next to me) and thought to myself 'Ooh! Lovely colour, let's stop and take a pic'. Then I remembered how much it stinks and carried on driving . . . :puke:

That's interesting. I had believed that rapeseed oil compared very favourably with olive oil.

Can you expand.

You'll have to look into it as I can't explain the ins-and-outs very well, but in layman's terms most vegetable oils are extracted unnaturally with the use of petroleum solvents , this is often after they have been genetically modied with chemical sprays in the field [to speed growth and preserve - the reason why so many of these grops withstand all sorts and look so perfect] it is the extraction methods that are unfavorable. Unlike most Coconut or Olive oils that are cold pressed, organic, nothing added or involved just, well, pressing :D

Reactions: Sky
I have thought about moving to Shropshire, not so sure now :)
If you suffer hay fever ot asthma I can think of better counties to live :LOL: it’s a beautiful county though!

If you suffer hay fever ot asthma I can think of better counties to live :LOL: it’s a beautiful county though!

It certainly is a lovely county, particularly like Bridgnorth.

I love the sight and smell of rapeseed and can't wait for it to be in full flower around my patch, a bit slow to bloom considering the mild winter we've had. The best thing you can do is scout locations in your area and see if there's any public footpaths running through the fields. For fields that don't have access rights you can often make something from the field edges depending on what you want to do, and personally I'm willing to venture in but only if there are clear tractor tracks to follow and I'm not in danger of damaging the crop. Unfortunately farmers in my area have proven to be mostly unfriendly and I haven't had many granting permission, though there has been the odd one or two that were very accommodating. If you offer a print you never know, but most I've met aren't interested. They're usually more tolerant of photographers during harvest when most of the fields are stubble.

*I've just noticed how old this thread is - oh well the advice is still valid!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nod
I like the sight and smell too. I am a hayfever sufferer but oilseed rape flowers don't set me off. Lots of fields of it down here (Devon) but that's not much use to the OP!

I am a hayfever sufferer but oilseed rape flowers don't set me off.

Same here - it's grass pollen for me. I think oilseed rape gets a bad press, a lot of people think they're allergic but it could be a number of other things responsible!

Rape is insect pollenated so there isn't much of their pollen in the air to cause an allergic reaction. Lots of trees and grasses (which are wind/air pollenated) are in flower at the same time but their flowers are far less visible so the visible flowers get the blame. I know some people find the scent of OSR flowers sickly sweet but I like it!

Rape is insect pollenated so there isn't much of their pollen in the air to cause an allergic reaction. Lots of trees and grasses (which are wind/air pollenated) are in flower at the same time but their flowers are far less visible so the visible flowers get the blame. I know some people find the scent of OSR flowers sickly sweet but I like it!
This. This. This. Finally somebody actually realises that it's not in an insect pollinators best interest to release great airborne clouds of pollen. I think it gets the blame a lot because it's so visible but it's flowering happens to coincide with a lot of other pollen producers, trees in particular. I remember having a discussion with a woman who was adamant her hayfever and asthma was caused by osr and her main "proof" as to how bad the stuff was seemed to be that there was none growing within 10miles and it still caused her grief :thinking:

Not as late as the one-post-wonder who woke this thread from an eight year sleep.....

Back