Raptor tag

Name
walter
Edit My Images
Yes
On a recent trip to a nature reserve, I took pic of raptor.
When put pic on computer I noticed what looked like numbers folded over each of the birds wings,I have seen ringed birds but never this before, anyone come across this before.

When put pic on computer I noticed what looked like numbers folded over each of the birds wings,I have seen ringed birds but never this before, anyone come across this before.

Red Kites have wing tags. The colours of the tags show the location and year of birth. I don't know about other species

http://www.hyelms.com/Kites Web/wingtagspage.htm

Last edited:
Hugh

wing tags ok, but Walter mentioned about the wing feathers being stamped which is different to what you are referring to

Hugh

wing tags ok, but Walter mentioned about the wing feathers being stamped which is different to what you are referring to

I have to admit I'd read it differently. But happy to be wrong. I'm surprised people stamp feathers as a method of ID though. Aren't they too fragile or easilyshed ?

We had a racing pigeon land thinking our cattery was its loft when we had the kennels and cattery. So we put it in our holding pen, on spreading out the wings each feather had a phone number on it. Contacted the owner who live locally and he got his pigeon back.

The cattery we owned , pigeon thought it was his loft. Bird brain comes to mind

Last edited:
Hugh

Where does he mention 'stamped'?

wings fold together and only when spread out will reveal ident markings, or that is how I took it to read

So how do they stamp the wings? never heard of that before..............I think he means wing tags which are quite common on kites and sea eagles

Until recently they were wing tagging red kites and buzzards up my way. I think they have given up with the buzzards though and not sure if the kits still get them now.
According to link BFD gave the tag is midlands, this raptor was in Kent, tag was white. Do they travel that far.

Last edited:

If it has been done properly there should be a site with recorded "tagging" - what bird was it?

Back