Raptor

Edit My Images
Yes
RAPTOR.jpg

First attempt at posting for comment/advice(y)

Nice shot although the eyes are a little soft, could have done with a tad more DOF. The beak is razor sharp photographically and in reality no doubt.

Nice Jim - but unfortunately one eye is more in focus than the other, and it looks as though the DoF is on the nose part of the beak.

As for the colours though... well... wow... what a lovely yellow. I assume this is a crop?

Great shot Jim, couple of pointers, its usually a slightly better angle if they are side on, and also the focus point seems to be its beak, if you can get the eyes as the main focus point its far more pleasing :)

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Image Date: 2007:08:26 13:45:34
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 300.0mm
CCD Width: 3.85mm
Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Looking at the above, can see why the depth of field is quite small as you had to use F5.6, if you could have used a smaller aperture the DoF would have been greater and could have had the beak and eyes in focus :)

Very good attempt though, keep it up :)

Thanks for all the above,any advice most welcome as still a novice. I took the shot in a busy tent with loads of boisterous kids,i suppose i should get there early. jim

:agree: with Ian ... :thinking: ... generally best as a side on take as then you don't experience the problems with part/all of their beaks being oof ... :shrug:

The focus here certainly does appear to be on its cere and just in front of rather than on the eyes ... :shrug: ... perhaps because you used centre/spot focus and didn't set it on the eye first and then re-compose ... :cautious:

But overall not a bad image as your first post Jim ... (y)

:p

For a 300mm lens and an exposure of 1/30, that's not bad. You must have steady hands.

Probably would have been good to raise the iso to 400 or so to get a faster shutter and more DOF - I find noise levels at 400 quite acceptable :)

Back