Ratfighter's Photo52 Wk 3 chopped

Name
Aidey
Edit My Images
Yes
4268886282_398ac241c3.jpg

poor start here, The weather conspired to make me work too hard. I had wanted to get a sunset shot from the disused power station for a while and kind of shoehorned the subject.

Last edited:
Nice sky and colours, the post in the middle sort of spoils the composition ?

Should have knocked it down, sure they would not have minded.......

I think the post was the only thing they want to keep .hehehe
i thought of photoshopping but my meagre talents would have probably done more damage than good
Thanks for the comments, I must try to get a good look at what is spoiling the shot before i go home in future

I wouldn't worry too much about shoehorning it in.
It looks extremely curved to me!

The sizing means that I'm having to scroll up and down to see the whole image on my lappy screen, which is a shame because it looks great and I'd love to see it in its entirety. :(
Also makes commenting a bit difficult when I can only view it in bits.

However, I'm not sure that I agree about the post spoiling it.
I like the crisscross fence at the bottom (it adds a bit more interest and depth to the silhouetting) and I think the post almost needs to be there to put the fence in context. :shrug:

The sizing means that I'm having to scroll up and down to see the whole image on my lappy screen, which is a shame because it looks great and I'd love to see it in its entirety. :(
Also makes commenting a bit difficult when I can only view it in bits.

Point taken and edited accordingly. Thanks for the help, I'll get there I'm sure:)

Aidey, I like it, it's clearly curved and love the colours. I'm sitting on the fence about the fence... I thought at first glance there was some odd processing effect going on...

I love taking shots of Urban Decay. I suppose it sums up where I am, where the country and the world is for me right now.
This is an abandoned factory in Birmingham about a mile from where I work. It always reminded me of Whitby Abbey, as it stands defiantly, above the city, a reminder of days gone by. So I tried to "Whitby Abbey",the photo.

4276360190_a8cdd20a72_b.jpg

Last edited:
Love the processing on this, it suits the subject perfectly and the poem is ideal for it. Well done.

Subject really suits B&W treatment. Could maybe do with slight rotatation to straighten up the left hand side a bit.

Amazing that buildings like this are just left to decay. Love to see a shot of this when the light is coming through the windows.

I was going to take photos of Royal Doultons factory as it's being knocked down for my poetry attempt (needed to find a poem about pot banks) so this has really struck a chord with me.

I would have liked to see the ground floor as well though. I guess you could not get the right angle when you were there.

Black and white works well and the poem fits perfectly.

Love this shot, dark, moody - and a poignant sign of the times too

arthur

Hi,

I like both pictures. With week 1 I really like the composition and how the image centres on the space between the towers, and it fits the theme well :) I quite like the fence too, it gives an interesting effect :)

The poem and image go together well for Week 2 (y)

Beautiful building Aidey . . . and shot in such a way to really get the feel and atmosphere of it.
The PP works brilliantly.

It would have been nice if you could have got all the ground floor in and a bit of foreground, but other than that I think you've framed it perfectly.

My only niggle is the angle that you've shown the text at. I can see what you were trying to achieve but I think I would have preferred it lined up to the side of the frame.

:shake: It's such a shame to see a building like that left to rot, but it does make for a stunning image.

Ok I almost admitted defeat here. I had a great idea but the weather beat me on my only available day. This is my first attempt at a "still life" composition. I really need to get to grips with it so please comment away, because I'm not sure about it. Ideally I would love to repose this with the benefit of advice. However, I hope to get a few points for making the bread slices; well it was raining!!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4295658390_9239bda632_o.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules.
Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

I like the lighting on this. Really warm. (y)

I think I would have thrown the toaster and breadbin out of focus though.

Would agree about removing the toaster and bread bin, and possibly giving more light onto the knife handle as you lose it from the photo. With the theme being chopped I think the focal point should be the knife.

I think using the cardboard cut-out bread has given the photo some originality that may have been lacking with normal white bread - so great imagination!!

10/10 for imagination on this one.
Great idea with the cut out bread (y)

If you do reshoot, try giving a bit more attention to the background. The toaster and bread bin work as props in the context of the image, but they draw the eye away from the main focal point.
Have a play with the DOF . . . I think you need more focus on the board and knife and less on the toaster. Although IMO you could afford lose the bread bin and toaster completely and still get the message across, so that's another composition to try.

The mirror background works to give a bit more depth, but it feels like it's been chopped off halfway across the image. Maybe try to compose it with the mirror running all the way across the width of the shot or just lose the mirror.

The other thing to watch out for is dust. There seem to be some crumbs / dust on the edge of the toaster and some crumbs on the worktop. They really stand out in a still life image, so give everything a wipe down first even if it looks sparkling to the naked eye.

Hope this gives you some ideas to try out for a second attempt.

10/10 for imagination on this one.
Great idea with the cut out bread (y)

If you do reshoot, try giving a bit more attention to the background. The toaster and bread bin work as props in the context of the image, but they draw the eye away from the main focal point.
Have a play with the DOF . . . I think you need more focus on the board and knife and less on the toaster. Although IMO you could afford lose the bread bin and toaster completely and still get the message across, so that's another composition to try.

The mirror background works to give a bit more depth, but it feels like it's been chopped off halfway across the image. Maybe try to compose it with the mirror running all the way across the width of the shot or just lose the mirror.

The other thing to watch out for is dust. There seem to be some crumbs / dust on the edge of the toaster and some crumbs on the worktop. They really stand out in a still life image, so give everything a wipe down first even if it looks sparkling to the naked eye.

Hope this gives you some ideas to try out for a second attempt.

Oh crumbs
and I had just cleaned up:shake:
I'll give it all the suggestions a go, as this is an area of photography Ihave never tried and really should
Thanks for the comments
Aidey

Back