ratio sizes?

Name
ben
Edit My Images
No
hi all and thanks for reading.

I was looking at the thread for online printers, and was wondering, How do you know what ratio print size to use?
sorry if it is a really stupid question, and feel free to tell me so!!!!

Ben.

Most dSLR cameras use a 3:2 ratio for their image sizes. Some use 4:3. Some allow different ratios to be taken by cropping some of the pixels out.

Basically I shoot in 3:2 format but if I want a different ratio I will frame perhaps a little wider to allow for cropping in Lightroom or Photoshop.

So you control what ratio you want to print in post production really.

3:2 format cameras will allow for prints in that ratio, therefore:

6x4, 9x6, 12x8, 15x10, 18x12, 24x16, 20x30 etc without any loss of the image around the sides.

There are times when a less rectangular crop is suited - perhaps a studio shot which has some dead space on the top of the image, or a crop to take out detail not required. At that point, assess the long and short edges and try and get to a near format (5:4 or 4:3) for good print sizes.

Then there are times when you need something whacky - i.e. a 12in x 60in pano of a load of shots stitched together. There's no right or wrong in this :)

If you are doing a mix of print ratios and want to print a 5x4 ratio with 6x4 ratios you may need to convert the 5x4 into a 6x4 using photoshop or whatever by adding a band of empty picture. I just use an action in PS to do this when putting together a set for printing.

thanks for the replies so far, and sorry if this sounds dumb as well, but how do I find out what ratio my camera uses?

thanks bob.

looked through all the spec's in the manual but could'nt see them anywhere.

Ben.

thanks for the replies so far, and sorry if this sounds dumb as well, but how do I find out what ratio my camera uses?

What's the pixel size of a picture straight out the camera?

i.e. 4800px x 3600px = 4 :3

As stated most are 3:2 ratio and that includes all Nikons and Canons.

If you want a 5:4 (10x8) image then you either have to crop some info off the original or add some dead space to it to make it up.

If shooting a white/black (or other plain) background in a studio shot, It's very simple to make space around the image without ruining the look. Anything else and it's ht or miss.

Cropping works well so when you compose your shot don't zoom in too close if you know you may want a 5:4 or 4:3 or other ratio image

hi lee.

according to the website bob lead me to its a 3:2 ratio.
pixel size in the book is 4288 x 2848, which is the largest file size I can have.

hi lee.

according to the website bob lead me to its a 3:2 ratio.
pixel size in the book is 4288 x 2848, which is the largest file size I can have.

You're too late ;)

Back