weekly Ratman's 52 week challange 2012 Week 10 'Win' Added MONEY NOW ADDED :)

Name
Roly
Edit My Images
Yes
After rather disappointly not being able to take part last year due to personal issues I am commited to giving it a shot this year.

To be honest I seem to end up taking photos of the same things over and over again and I am hoping that this challange will open my eyes to other area's of photography and help me develop myself mentally and technically..:)

Good luck to every one else taking part :help:

I am going to give myself 5 Jokers but hoping not to use any and hopefully I will do a reshoot and the new theme :bonk:

Jokers Remaining = 5

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear Version 1 and Fear Version 2
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure
Week 6 : Industry
Week 7 : Root
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 : Money
Week 10 : Win
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
By doing this challenge I'm hoping for similar results, good luck with yours (y)

Good luck to you also Andrew, I have an idea for this week I'm just not sure about it yet. Going to have a test tonight before drawing up a new idea.

good luck :)

Hiya Roly,

Good on you for trying again this year ...... I remember you starting last year and I thought it best I pop along here to give you a polite kick up the derriere to encourage you to see this year through.

If, during the project, you lose motivation, inspiration or have no clue what to do ..... please don't hesitate to send me a PM and I will try my best to offer advice/help.

Please don't give up on another year ..... believe me at the end of the year you will feel such a sense of achievement (yes you may feel mentally exhausted, but that all fades with that last 52 post [or as in our 2011 case 53 :LOL:])

I know there are a couple of us from 2011 who are here to encourage the new year's team (and some even partaking in same again :wacky::nuts:) :LOL:

Best of luck to you and I will pop past to view your progress.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Thank all, I promise I will give it a shot.

Dawn is their any chance of getting a picture of you politely kicking me up the derriere, it wouldn't be bad for this week, as in Giving Direction..Thanks for your offer and I will certainly PM you should the need arise :)

Last year was a terrible one on just about every level and I kinda lost my mojo, but Ratman is back and one of my resolutions this year is to get out and shoot more and try to take photos of something other than motorbikes.

Thanks again :)

Good luck! I would do a 52 myself but I only got my camera for Chistmas so I'm probably a bit too new :) Have you got your first photo up yet? :p

Thank all, I promise I will give it a shot.

Dawn is their any chance of getting a picture of you politely kicking me up the derriere, it wouldn't be bad for this week, as in Giving Direction..Thanks for your offer and I will certainly PM you should the need arise :)

Last year was a terrible one on just about every level and I kinda lost my mojo, but Ratman is back and one of my resolutions this year is to get out and shoot more and try to take photos of something other than motorbikes.

Thanks again :)

Hiya Roly,

:LOL: if my leg could extend as far as where you are .... you could just capture your shot you need, but heyho, I am only 5ft tall and I doubt my leg will extend that far :LOL:

But you know what I mean, and if you can get a pic of someone kicking your but .... I reckon that would suffice for a great start to your project (believe me I am full of creative ideas .... and if ever you are lost for same .... let me know I and I may be able to guide you in a direction). On reflection, that was what I most enjoyed about the 52 ..... coming up with something unique and creative and then applying the photography skills and knowledge to same.

I will be keeping a keen eye on you babes .... especially as you copped out last year ..... YOU MUST SUCCEED THIS YEAR!!!! Otherwise I will have to come down south to kick your butt to high hell :bat:

:LOL: Good luck babes, and believe me you are not alone on this quest.

Happy New Year and I will see you till the end of this year!!!

Dx

Good luck! I would do a 52 myself but I only got my camera for Chistmas so I'm probably a bit too new :) Have you got your first photo up yet? :p

Josh ..... I've already told you off on a previous thread. Now stop pussy footing around and get your 'direction' .... you know which way you want to go ..... ;)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Joshwain said:

Well Josh come and do it with us, you will notice a massive difference in your photography over the next year, promise :)

You will probably show me up because unless it has two wheels or 7 spots im no good and I'm not that good at those subjects either.

In fact I will only get something decent if the topic pulled out of the hat is over exposed, under exposed or noisy lol

I will expect to see your 52 post some point this evening ;)

I haven't taken my first shot yet but I am going to have a try tonight when I get home.

Well Josh come and do it with us, you will notice a massive difference in your photography over the next year, promise :)

You will probably show me up because unless it has two wheels or 7 spots im no good and I'm not that good at those subjects either.

In fact I will only get something decent if the topic pulled out of the hat is over exposed, under exposed or noisy lol

I will expect to see your 52 post some point this evening ;)

I haven't taken my first shot yet but I am going to have a try tonight when I get home.

I'm up and making progress already ;)

I doubt I'll show you up but you never know :naughty:

I'm up and making progress already ;)

I doubt I'll show you up but you never know :naughty:

:LOL: that is the spirit .....

I am going to visit your thread now!

Teeeeheee I will ralley last years Photo52'ers to support you all this year, and who knows .... at the end of the year we will have a full on meet :D

Dx

Hi ya Roly....I'm one the loonies come back for more this year......c'mon , get out there & start shooting ( I'm generally not as subtle as Dawn:LOL: )

Bikes n 7 spots ? Yup...was there myself at the start of last year...bikes n animals...my god did last years 52 widen my horizons _ can't say my photo's are any better but it's now a much broader range of mediocre stuff :LOL:

As per Dawn...if you're struggling or stumped gimme a pm...it's a blast , a giggle & great fun....plus the added bonus of a meet at least once this year if we can organise same (y)

:LOL: that is the spirit .....

I am going to visit your thread now!

Teeeeheee I will ralley last years Photo52'ers to support you all this year, and who knows .... at the end of the year we will have a full on meet :D

Dx

I'll try my best to attend if it happens. I might have learnt to drive by then :p

I'll try my best to attend if it happens. I might have learnt to drive by then :p
Hey you are full of excuses ..... you don't need to be able to drive to tog (although it is handy at times).. What you need to do is pick up the ****ing camera and get shooting!!!

What can be more difficult than that?

Right ...... I want to see your first submission tomorrow :bat:

D!

Hey you are full of excuses ..... you don't need to be able to drive to tog (although it is handy at times).. What you need to do is pick up the ****ing camera and get shooting!!!

What can be more difficult than that?

Right ...... I want to see your first submission tomorrow :bat:

D!

You're a bit slow ;) ;)

:LOL:

CLICKYYY!!

(New) Direction by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

Well I have made a start....(y)

This image symbolises a new direction that I am trying to take my life on this year, giving up smoking and loosing weight being the main objectives.

It shows the two of the things that have damaged me most in the past and the two things that are going to help me through it.

I now realise that I'm going to need a black sheet at some point though....:)

Last edited:
Great start, and an excellent (personal) take on the theme. I wish you every success with your new lifestyle. I gave up smoking approximately 9 months ago, and its been one of the best things ive ever done.

I recognise the Jack Daniels shot glass as I have some myself, but for me, the shot would be improved a lot if the detail on the glass were more visable. Did you just use the light available or a flash?

Cheers

Nick

Yes - I like the idea and execution of this shot, but the background wanted more light or sharpness to make it easier to view.

Phil

Thanks for the comments Nick & Phil, i didnt use any flash just the light in the room. I did take a few shots including ones with the Jack Daniels logo more visable but I though that it became too prominent and seemed more like a JD advert, thinking about it I should of opted for a clear glass maybe.

My intention was to fade out the old and focus on the new, guess the idea got lost somewhere in the execution :)

I will probably have another go at this when I have better natural lighting and use something other than my sofa as a background.

Thanks again for the comments, everydays a school day for me :):)

A very good take of the theme.

I gave up a few years ago and my will is weak. You have my full support!

Thanks guys, I must admit so far so good. Every day I am putting the money I would of spent smoking into my tin to buy a new lens :)

Thanks again all for the encouragement and CC, got a feeling I'm going to learn plenty this year :)

The quit smoking going well also, now have £37 in the equipment fund :)

Last edited:
Hi, there and welcome (y)

It's quite a busy photograph and the elements seem far to separate, if you know what I mean.

Bit more depth would be good to get some detail in the glass and cigarette packet.

Was the knot on the table deliberate?

Cheers and good luck with your project and new year resolutions.

The knot was actually deliberate as was most things in the picture, the actual idea was to have the things that are bad from the past fading into the background but the bright new, good things sharp in the foreground.

I did do a few different versions of the same idea, which funny enough address most of the comments made. I do think that I may need to invest in a flash though.

I just felt that having the JD logo more in focus made the image more about the drink than what I was trying to say with the image.

Version 2

I did also wonder about the knot and covered it up at one point but I left it in for no other reason than I liked it but looking at it now I think it's distracting.

With hindsight I think I should of maybe selected one of the other versions which also had a slightly different lay out.

Version 3

I have posted links to the other versions I took at the same time as to not clutter this thread with too many similar images.

Lesson one learnt, dont be in a rush. If I have more than one image take my time and think it through a bit more.

Once again thank you for all the feedback recieved so far.....:)

I like your personal take on the theme and I wish you luck with going up smoking.
I gave up 17 months ago after 17 years smoking and it is the hardest but most rewarding thing to do!

Great composition, I too like the way the old and the new are separated by DOF. A great way of looking at the theme, and what a great incentive to see the money mounting up for a decent bit of kit. Good luck!!!

Thanks again for the comment, I am finding them all interesting and useful :)

Here is another that I took at the same time which meets the feedback more, I just thought that it was better with the bad things fading into the dark :thinking:

direction3 by o RATMAN o, on Flickr

Roll on week 2, I think I'm going to enjoy this (y)

I must admit, I prefer and really really like the original. It's more moody (technical term) :)

Like the idea of a very personal take on the theme... Good luck with the giving up smoking and heres to a growing equipment fund ;)

I must admit, I prefer and really really like the original. It's more moody (technical term) :)

Thanks Mark, I must admit I still prefer the first one myself and after rattling off about 20 shots all at different angles and DOF it had the moodiness that I was trying to show :)

Thank you Helen, Still not had a proper cigarette and have nearly £50 towards my next new lens (y)

Back