RAW and JPEG

Name
wayne clarke
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm courious just how many people shoot RAW and JPEG rather than one or the other? also do the ones who shoot both, actually select RAW+JPEG or do you extract the embedded JPEG from the RAW file??
Just courious. Wayne

I shoot RAW plus JPEG. I do this merely because when downloaded to my PC the jpeg is represented by a thumbnail image beside the parent RAW file and that permits to select some files for immediate deletion if they are clearly unsuitable for what I have in mind (e.g. if I failed to capture all of the subject).

I used to shoot RAW & JPEG for the same reasons arclight mentioned, but since I moved over to using Lightroom, I now shoot RAW only - no need for the separate preview.

I shoot RAW only, and have done for a few years. It's for more control after the image is taken. If for nothing else it has saved some pics which have been taken with the wrong WB. :confused: :LOL:

As for seeing images on the PC, I don't have Lightroom, but I use a free program off the internet called Preview Extractor which extracts the embedded Jpeg out of the RAW file. Saves a bit of memory on the memory card whilst out shooting.

I used to shoot both but now only shoot RAW. I do it to save space on the card. And as above, I view them on the software that came with the camera. I've got Canon and the software is called Zoom Browser. I've never used anything else, so I can't compare it with anything else, but it seems very good to me and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks for the replies everybody, I mostly use RAW but on odd occasions when a client requests I shoot jpeg, I never bother shooting both, I just extract the embedded JPEG if I need one.
Wayne

Raw everytime except when Lea wants to take a few shots, she puts it into full auto which shoots jpg's anyway. :shrug:

I shoot raw then process it, after that i convert to jpg and resize for the web (here & Flickr)

RAW or JPEG depending on the circumstances.
Never RAW+JPEG.

I used to shoot RAW+JPEG but then read that for Nikon at least RAW actually contains basic quality JPEG anyway so it seems a bit of a spacewaster. Now only do RAW. Lightroom is able to use those embedded JPEGs as initial previews so there is no gains really.

I would not use those embedded JPEGs for anything other than previews though - with the basic quality they really make JPEG compression artefacts quite visible...

I used to shoot RAW+JPEG but then read that for Nikon at least RAW actually contains basic quality JPEG anyway so it seems a bit of a spacewaster. Now only do RAW. Lightroom is able to use those embedded JPEGs as initial previews so there is no gains really.

I would not use those embedded JPEGs for anything other than previews though - with the basic quality they really make JPEG compression artefacts quite visible...

Fully agree with the above, But remember the Raw files are BIG so you will only get about 80 shots per 2gb card, So have plenty of spares.
I have only recently started using Lightroom but do try it, you will be surprised. Any good tips on using it let me know.
Cheers

I shoot only RAW and convert in DNG for back-up (is like you keep the old film negatives).

JPEG is really useless when it comes to post-processing.

Fully agree with the above, But remember the Raw files are BIG so you will only get about 80 shots per 2gb card, So have plenty of spares.
I have only recently started using Lightroom but do try it, you will be surprised. Any good tips on using it let me know.
Cheers
My RAW files are saved at about 7.1MB - about 130 shots on a 1GB card.

size of files depends on the cam. I shoot RAW only but I always import into lightroom (was bridge prev)

I occasionally shoot jpeg but generally to save space when I won't have ability to upload to pc quickly.
Never liked RAW+Jpeg as it takes up unnecessary amounts of space, and I have no need for it.

When I first bought a DSLR it was jpeg only, then I learnt about RAW and shot in both RAW & jpeg, last week I decided why waste precious space on both the CF card and on my hard drive, I now shoot only RAW.

I shoot RAW plus JPEG. I do this merely because when downloaded to my PC the jpeg is represented by a thumbnail image beside the parent RAW file and that permits to select some files for immediate deletion if they are clearly unsuitable for what I have in mind (e.g. if I failed to capture all of the subject).

Same here, I can look through the JPEGs and then delete the ones I don't want (as no trawling through the files on Photoshop to find the right ones)

Magic!

If you are with Canon then DPP shows the thumbnails for you for RAWs and jpgs when you download so you can delete them immediately without going into Photoshop.

I haven't had my DSLR long and have only just started shooting RAW. The last shoot I went on I shot both as I was a bit scared of the RAW files to be honest! But once I got them on the computer I deleted the jpgs anyway because if you're going to be tweaking the white balance or whatever you'll be making another jpg... so I don't see the point of having both. (If you're not going to be tweaking anything you might as well just shoot in jpg!) So from now on I'm just going to shoot RAW.

Ditto!

Exactly. And especially if I'm on holiday and I'm downloading to someone else's computer for storage. Don't know if they'll be able to open up RAW or much less have the processing power to do it efficiently.

I used to shoot RAW & JPEG for the same reasons arclight mentioned, but since I moved over to using Lightroom, I now shoot RAW only - no need for the separate preview.

I've started doing this when I know ultimately the pictures will be coming down into the main computer. But when I'm putting them into my laptop I like to have jpeg's to the load off the pc.

RAW only. i have a mindset that equates to film so I take the highest quality possible in order to extract what I'm after in 'development'.:bonk:

I shoot both for convenience. Memory cards are cheap, so I'm not bothered about filling them up.

I find that comparing the RAW and the jpg side by side in Bridge can show subtle light differences that are worth exploring when developing the RAW file.

I'm not the most artistic person in the world and these little changes can sometimes mean the difference between a keeper and the delete button for me.

I used to shoot both but now only shoot RAW. I do it to save space on the card. And as above, I view them on the software that came with the camera. I've got Canon and the software is called Zoom Browser. I've never used anything else, so I can't compare it with anything else, but it seems very good to me and I'm very happy with it.

I do the same, no need to do jpegs as well raws because zoombrowser is perfect for previewing and DPP is a really good raw converter

Always RAW for me. Shooting both just slows down the writing to the card and I always end up using the RAW rather than the jpeg in any case.

Cheers

What the hell? only 80 shots???

I get about 210 RAW per 2gb card - even more if I have blown highlights/crushed lowlights as it has less data to store

RAW all the way - download into Zoombrowser, delete any that have camera shake, missed composition, or if I took a couple of repeats then into Lightroom to quickly set WB etc

What the hell? only 80 shots???

I get about 210 RAW per 2gb card - even more if I have blown highlights/crushed lowlights as it has less data to store

RAW all the way - download into Zoombrowser, delete any that have camera shake, missed composition, or if I took a couple of repeats then into Lightroom to quickly set WB etc

I would imagine it depends on your camera's megapixels. Mine takes around 110 on a 2 gig card (12MP) so I would guess that 80 would fill a 14/15 MP card?

just to be different... I shoot jpeg for most of my weddings and jump to raw+jpeg in difficult light conditions. That way 85% or more of my workflow is highly rapid and the difficult shots get the time they deserve

I shoot both as I mainly use my camera on holidays and outings with the better half and friends, that way I've got the JPEG for the quick snapshots which I can't be bothered processing and the RAW file available for any that I decide I want to tweak for printing etc. Sure it fills up some memory cards but they are pretty cheap these days and my 30D isn't a 15mp monster with super giant raw files.

Back