Beginner Raw Editing Question

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
When people say raw is what the sensor records, without any in camera processing, does that also mean lens correction etc? If so, does most raw editing software come with the ability to fix things like barrel distortion?

There was a fuss a while ago when it was discovered that at least one Leica was applying lens corrections in raw. I can't recall if it's still the case.

Some cameras (I think) make a virtue of correcting chromatic aberration in camera, which to my mind implies auotmatic correction that will apply to to the raw files. Not being a camera tester I can't comment otherwise - but some sort of lens correction "behind the scenes" may be common.

Yes Fuji applies lens correction in camera.
I think Panasonic may do the same.

Does Fuji apply correction in camera with all the lenses, thought for example the 35 1.4 corrected in pp and the 35 f2 in camera

Happy to stand corrected though

Does Fuji apply correction in camera with all the lenses, thought for example the 35 1.4 corrected in pp and the 35 f2 in camera

Happy to stand corrected though
I thought so. Im pretty sure all lenses will give a similar message to this in PS and LR.
Like you though i am happy to stand corrected.
Screenshot_2017-05-03-17-08-22.png

I thought the RAW file had correction embedded in it and it's the software that applies it. In the case of LR it cannot be turned off, but programs like Photo Ninja can show it uncorrected.

Also some lenses are optically corrected and the newer WR models are corrected via software primarily so they can be made cheaper and more compact.

There again maybe I have it wrong, all rather confusing

Last edited:
I thought the RAW file had correction embedded in it and it's the software that applies it. In the case of LR it cannot be turned off, but programs like Photo Ninja can show it uncorrected.

Also some lenses are optically corrected and the newer WR models are corrected via software primarily so they can be made more compact.

There again maybe I have it wrong, all rather confusing
Maybe i have got it wrong so happy to be educated.
I just recall from my Fuji 18-55 days that when i opened a RAW in ACR the message came up to say the lens profile was already applied. I just assumed its the same for all fuji lenses.

I think correction is potentially written into all the files and applied via software, some programs can have it turned off.

Lenses such as the 14mm and 35 1.4 are optically corrected and would be usable without the correction not so for the newer WR lenses such as the 35 f2

Can somebody tell me the words used to form the acronym RAW? :)

Can somebody tell me the words used to form the acronym RAW? :)
RAW isnt an acronym its just a term that has been coined to describe the raw data that certain cameras can record and release as a certain file type e.g. Canon = CR2, Nikon = NEF etc

RAW isnt an acronym its just a term that has been coined to describe the raw data that certain cameras can record and release as a certain file type e.g. Canon = CR2, Nikon = NEF etc
Capital letter (like RAW) should only be used for acronyms, e.g. NATO, NASA, DNG. A raw file is called as such because it is just raw data, as you say, so why call them RAW. Sorry, I think my attempt at irony has been lost in transmission.

Capital letter (like RAW) should only be used for acronyms, e.g. NATO, NASA, DNG. A raw file is called as such because it is just raw data, as you say, so why call them RAW. Sorry, I think my attempt at irony has been lost in transmission.

It has been but I've seen countless threads on here where people have mentioned exactly that.

Generally accepted on this forum though that it can be RAW or raw :)

Back