RAW - Maximising Image Quality

Nice links, all of them, thanks :thumb:

Good read............. is it only me who goes partially blind after reading white text on a black background :dizzy:

Cheers Arkady

Mr THX said:
Good read............. is it only me who goes partially blind after reading white text on a black background :dizzy:

Cheers Arkady

I was thinking it was quite comfortable to read. When I clicked back here I got the 'after' effect :dizzy:

Very interesting read on the upper 5th of Histogram holding 50% the available tonal values of the camera. If true, you would have thought some DSLR's to have a sub setting when shooting raw to maximise Histogram to the right ?

Will have to give it a test

Out of interest Rob, have you tried & do you over expose as a result ?

Also found one of the sublinks off to Histograms interesting. Little did I know the spread of RAW for a single shot is about 5 stops, with high contrast scenery having a range of about 8 stops & the human eye having a 10 stop range. Fascinating stuff.

I now know that when I've taken widest range from a RAW shot to create a HDR image, I've bee possibly missing up to 3 stops worth of info. Will now autobracket to cover the full range in future.

Not yet - this was a new one to me as well - I always under-exposed slightly with the D1 and D1x.
Doing the same with the D2x I sometimes get what looks like film grain, but is 'noise' caused by slight underexposure. I don't often have time to 'finesse' the exposure - hard and fast is the general rule for my line of work.
Working in bright Iraqi sunshine is a chore as the SLR is so vast. But I'll be trying it out in Malawi next week as the clouds should be about three feet off the deck!!!

The FM plugin sounds nice & easy. Worth trying trial version of Photmatix also

Back