Raw Shooter Essentials Is No 1

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Just been reading that RSE is now voted No1 RAW software by leading photo mags in several countries including the UK and USA, and it's free... forever! :icon_cool

Pity it doesn't know what Fuji RAW.raf format is. :censored:

I too got the email ;)

This is the quote from it

RawShooter | essentials 2005 is currently ranked as the No.1 RAW converter by the photographic press.
August 2005 - Labtest RAW converters - PHOTO QUALITY AWARD - RawShooter | essentials 2005

Rating 86% out of 100% - Would have been voted no.1 RAW converter out of 9 tested if not for the lack of Fuji suport and curves

I think it's lack of Fuji support does let it down, but hey I'm a Canon man myself so I suppose I'm happy.

IanC_UK said:
I suspect that seeing the low score because of lack of Fuji support it will be being looked into ! :)

Should think so as well. If Fuji weren't a major manufacturer then I could understand the ommission.

Millions of potential customers lost.

I'm trying to get Corel to add Fuji RAW support to PaintShop Pro 9 also. .RAF format is included in the file filter in the OpenFile dialog, but whatever it is, it ain't Fuji .RAF.

Have you tried using S7RAW?

It supports Fujifilm finepix S7000/S5000/S20pro/S2pro/F810/F710/F700/E550/S5500/S5100 and S3pro

and produces better results than the Fuji software offers.

It'll also allow you to view the RAW files as thumbnails (just as you would JPG's etc.), I use it for my Fuji S7000 that I still have :)

Hi

I've installed RSE software today and tried to run it, it wont work, i am running an AMD processor and it says that i have to enable SSE extensions, can anybody point me in the right direction to do this??

Thanks Mike

Mike Aiken said:
Hi

I've installed RSE software today and tried to run it, it wont work, i am running an AMD processor and it says that i have to enable SSE extensions, can anybody point me in the right direction to do this??

Thanks Mike

You need WinXP with Service Pack 2, as far as I'm aware.

Are you running the latest version of RSE because I know that earlier versions definately did not work on AMD systems but they where working to rectify that? I have not checked recently (I run P4) but have not heard of that issue with the last two releases.

Have you checked the readme file for compatability with your spec?

GfK said:
You need WinXP with Service Pack 2, as far as I'm aware.

You might need WinXP but you certainly don't need service pack 2 ;)

Again check the readme file as that will stop us all guessing :)

From Rawshooter (latest edition)

PIII 800 processor or equivalent with SSE technology enabled
512mb ram
250mb of hard disc space
Windows XP Pro or Home edition or Windows 2000 (SP4)

Finally..from the Pixmantec Rawshooter forums

When will Rawshooter work with AMD processors?
answer
It does work with AMD processors that use SSE technology, nearly all the Athlons and Semprons will run fine with RSE, if you have an old T-Bird or Duron it's time to upgrade

Hopefully that will help?

I guess the next step if you have an Athlon or Sempron is to check that SSE is enabled, I am guessing but probably in your motherboard bios?

I'm not very techy but I do have an Athlon prtocessor. I'll have a look at the bios.

Nothing at all in the BIOS :icon_eek:

Again I am not 100% sure on this but I seem to remember there being a big deal about Windows XP being able to utilise SSE extentions on its release. Maybe its a OS specific issue?

What OS system are you running Mike?

Thanks guys,

This is the version i'm using "RawShooter essentials 2005 1.0"

I have contacted the Evesham Micros, but i expect they will take a while to get back to me.

I am running windows XP

This is the message that comes up when i try to launch the programme.

screenshot.jpg

Off to track down the motherboard manual.

Will let you know how i get on.

Mike

Mike google for and download a very small (and free) tool called CPUz.

Just double click it to run and it will show you a window with the exact processor you have in your machine, and which extensions it supports (if SSE is supported by your CPU then it will list it here).

Download the latest version and instal that, even if its not your problem the latest version does have some useful upgrades in it anyway.

CPUz as Marcel has said is also useful for finding out if the problem lies elsewhere. Give that a go too and report back :)

Hi Guys

Have downloaded the programme Marcel suggested and i'm afraid its time for an upgrade, the AMD processor i am using is a Thunderbird.

Many thanks for all your help guys, i will try an install anyway of the new version and see what happens.

After just splashing out on the new camera, i will have to stick with jpegs until the finances are in a better position.

Thanks again Mike

Which camera Mike..if its one of the later Canon's they are supplied with Photo Professional which while not as good and easy to follow as Rawshooter is still a very competant piece of software that will allow you shoot and process raw files, best of all is that it will work with any CPU.

Back