RCA takes stance against 'Amateur' photography on racecourses

It's not about racecourses making money. It's about protecting the working photographers.

What are working photographers scared of? Maybe because others can take better pictures. So should everyone in any trade be protected from others doing the same thing? what a load of!!!!!! The DIYers would not be allowed to DIY, the flat pack furniture makers would have no one to sell to. and the out of town DIY shops would close.

No! working photographers should have no more rights than anyone else ,and not be an elitest group

Last edited:
What are working photographers scared of? Maybe because others can take better pictures. So should everyone in any trade be protected from others doing the same thing? what a load of!!!!!! The DIYers would not be allowed to DIY, the flat pack furniture makers would have no one to sell to. and the out of town DIY shops would close.

No! working photographers should have no more rights than anyone else ,and not be an elitest group

Tough sh*t mate. The RCA is protecting working photographers against freebie merchants who turn up unaccredited and then give their work away to stables for their own ego boost.

To be honest the editorial market in racing has pretty much collapsed anyway since Northern Shell and Trinity Mirror merged.

I thought discrimination was illegal in the UK

It's not discrimination. There's nothing stopping anyone from taking hobby photos for pleasure.

What it was preventing was unaccredited (and generally really, really sh*t) photographers from lurking behind the rails and sending their crap freebies to every stable under the sun free of charge.

It doesn't bother me whether you like it or not.

Have you ever actually set foot on a race track?

I thought discrimination was illegal in the UK

discrimination ? haha.. its in the corner over there keeping free speech and father christmas company :)

It's not discrimination. There's nothing stopping anyone from taking hobby photos for pleasure.

What it was preventing was unaccredited (and generally really, really sh*t) photographers from lurking behind the rails and sending their crap freebies to every stable under the sun free of charge.

It doesn't bother me whether you like it or not.

Have you ever actually set foot on a race track?

So what is the point in that? A person pays to enter a racecourse. Takes pics of loads of horses, then goes through each one and sends them to the stables. For what? Once maybe but unless you are doing it for fun what’s the point, and are loads really doing it for fun?

It's not about racecourses making money. It's about protecting the working photographers.

.............and why should photographers be protected???

If someone wants to give their images away for free why shouldn't they? Very few other professions are protected against 'the amateur'.

Personally, if anyone wanted to publish any images I produce (very unlikely) I would be chuffed to bits and they could certainly use them for free :)

Last edited:
Not that long ago (*cough*) there were loads of typists in typing pools doing a better job of typing than most of us are doing when we post comments in this forum. I wonder if the RCA protected their typists?

So what is the point in that? A person pays to enter a racecourse. Takes pics of loads of horses, then goes through each one and sends them to the stables. For what? Once maybe but unless you are doing it for fun what’s the point, and are loads really doing it for fun?

Yes, there are. Sad, isn't it?

.............and why should photographers be protected???

If someone wants to give their images away for free why shouldn't they? Very few other professions are protected against 'the amateur'.

Personally, if anyone wanted to publish any images I produce (very unlikely) I would be chuffed to bits and they could certainly use them for free :)

It's exactly the same for EPL/EFL football, Prem Rugby, F1 and a load of other sport.

And as for very few other professions etc etc - no actually, it's exactly the opposite.

Not that long ago (*cough*) there were loads of typists in typing pools doing a better job of typing than most of us are doing when we post comments in this forum. I wonder if the RCA protected their typists?

Could you point out the hoards of typists that were lining up outside offices, paying to be there and working for an ego stroke?

It's amazing all these keen sports photographers lining up to complain about not being able to taking racing pictures and yet when you look at the number of posts they've made in Talk Sport - nada. Hardly anything.

My, my, I quoted the part that was nonsense, so that you would see clearly that the link you supplied (and claimed you read) says "You may use mobile devices and point-and-shoot or compact cameras to capture images for your own private and domestic use (but you shall not use professional level photography or filming equipment)....."

Now if you can't see that applies to DSLRs, as numerous folk have told you, there is no point in continuing.

A DSLR isn't necessarily a professional level camera. According to the orthodox wisdom of the web, a DSLR only becomes a professional camera if it has dual card slots, is weather sealed if not waterproof, is robustly built to survive rough handling, and does NOT have a pop-up flash. There are generally speaking three levels of DSLRs: entry level for beginners or those on a tight budget; enthusiast level for those who want a camera with as many of the professional features as can be provided cheaply without going as far as professional build quality; and finally professional.

If you don't try other other forms of photography how do think you think you will improve your your technique. It is horses for courses, taking photos at an equestrian event, sports event and ones at a wedding or of the family dog require different techniques. Maybe other photographers like to push themselves and their equipment to develop their skills.
I take photos of lots of different subjects in addition to what I get paid for - I’ve just spent a fortnight taking pictures of wildlife in the USA - But if you’ve paid to see an event then just leave the camera at home and enjoy the spectacle - those who don’t are exactly the same as the smart phone crowds who have to prove they are there with pics.

if you’ve paid to see an event then just leave the camera at home and enjoy the spectacle - those who don’t are exactly the same as the smart phone crowds who have to prove they are there with pics.

What nonsense!
Many hobby photographers love to attend 'events' in order to practice their hobby in different situations ... it has nothing to do with proving they are there.

A genuine question to @DemiLion (and not a troll or baiting). How did you get started as a professional photographer, Mark?

@KIPAX @DemiLion I have reported both your posts, the guys not trolling, just because you don't like it doesn't make it so. Its a perfectly legitimate question.

Thanks. thats honestly and truthfully made my day . love it :)

Excellent I hope this protectionism starts extending to other jobs, driving lessons should only be done by qualified driving instructors, no more teaching your kids to drive, its stealing jobs. Get rid of reality TV shows, only members of equity should be allowed on TV.

Excellent I hope this protectionism starts extending to other jobs, driving lessons should only be done by qualified driving instructors, no more teaching your kids to drive, its stealing jobs. Get rid of reality TV shows, only members of equity should be allowed on TV.

I agree wholeheartedly but that's somewhat irrelevant to the topic.

I agree wholeheartedly but that's somewhat irrelevant to the topic.
The topic is protectionism, I hope you never do your own decorating or maintain your own car you are stealing jobs.

I think you missed the point :)
Probably, all I can see is that Pro photographers do not want competition, decorators do not want competition either but that's only manual labour.

You might want to look at his posting record over the last week or so.

............and that is???

The 'other thread' you are referring to the OP has contacted me via PM and was very grateful for the advice offered :)

These threads which set "pro" photographers against amateurs never seem to end well because there are people on both sides who are intolerant of the other's opinions. At the end of the day if a location wishes to ban amateurs with "good" cameras then you can either (1) not go (2) go without your camera or (3) sidestep their rules by using something that looks innocent but has greater capability than the stewards expect. This sort of thing for example...

Sony A65 8GB Unnumbered DSC01601.JPG

Last edited:
Probably, all I can see is that Pro photographers do not want competition, decorators do not want competition either but that's only manual labour.

You couldnt be furthur off the mark if you tried..

Competition is fine and healthy.. i dont believe anything would get anywhere without it..

What nonsense!
Many hobby photographers love to attend 'events' in order to practice their hobby in different situations ... it has nothing to do with proving they are there.
All well and good but at professional sports events/concerts etc. there's usually restrictions/bans on photography - respect that

All well and good but at professional sports events/concerts etc. there's usually restrictions/bans on photography - respect that
If there are restrictions then obviously respect them but that has nothing to do with your previous comment.

Back