Reccomend me a lens spanner wrench

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
I need to gain access to the interns of a lens and require a suitable wrench to be able to turn the retaining ring which has two slots / holes to accept a suitable tool.

I've come across such as this which looks ideal:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professi...329454?hash=item33e9a669ae:g:ElQAAOSwjB9a6evi

Are some better quality than others or are they all pretty much the same?

I'd sooner pay say 20 quid for one that works more than once without the tips bending / breaking rather than pay say a fiver only to have to re purchase.

What can you guys recommend?

An interesting question for the diy'er

Looking at the linked tool the one thing that strikes is just how stable is it once set and ready to use............................why, perhaps I state the obvious, because if it slips out of the grooves it could catastrophically damage the front element!

Oh, IMO whether the tool is budget or gold standard I suggest a rubber mat on the bench to rest the other end squarely on and wear a rubber glove to hold the lens....all measures to avoid it moving or slipping whilst applying the possibly more force than you might expect to need to use.

whether the tool is budget or gold standard I suggest a rubber mat on the bench to rest the other end squarely on and wear a rubber glove to hold the lens....all measures to avoid it moving or slipping whilst applying the possibly more force than you might expect to need to use.

Sound advice ...Thank you for that!

I use that one... or one very similar. Mine has flat ends, and other shaped ones. Once tightened it all works well.
To add, mine does not slip.

The type you have shown has the advantage of being adjustable in width to suit any diameter - but I wouldn't like to fish around in the bottom of a backpack for it ....

Mine is similar to this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-L...485548&hash=item3b2323d5b1:g:XssAAOSwmUBb2nF3 which requires you to work out what sizes you will need in advance of purchase.

I actually posses something like this Kevin for when tightening/ removing the lens retaining ring on the lens boards.
The notches on the ring of the lens that I need to open up are much smaller, hence i need the more pointy tool like what is shown in the link in my opening post.

The type you have shown has the advantage of being adjustable in width to suit any diameter - but I wouldn't like to fish around in the bottom of a backpack for it ....

Mine is similar to this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-L...485548&hash=item3b2323d5b1:g:XssAAOSwmUBb2nF3 which requires you to work out what sizes you will need in advance of purchase.

That's like the one that @StephenM let me borrow to get my LF lens onto the lens board. If you have the right sizes, simples! I was rather terrified of the very spiky one... :oops: :$ :D

I was rather terrified of the very spiky one.

…..in case my Mrs got access to it after finding out that I'd spent even more money on camera kit!:exit::LOL:

The thing that strikes me about the one you linked is the length of the arms, my hunch would be that shorter arms would give you more control over it but then I wouldn't expect the retaining ring to be too tight

I need to gain access to the interns of a lens and require a suitable wrench to be able to turn the retaining ring which has two slots / holes to accept a suitable tool.

I've come across such as this which looks ideal:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professi...329454?hash=item33e9a669ae:g:ElQAAOSwjB9a6evi

Are some better quality than others or are they all pretty much the same?

I'd sooner pay say 20 quid for one that works more than once without the tips bending / breaking rather than pay say a fiver only to have to re purchase.

What can you guys recommend?
I think that's pretty much the same as the one I bought for opening up my Tamron 90mm lens as it had some kind of oily mark inside the element. It worked OK and was certainly strong enough not to bend, but you really have to apply sufficient pressure so that it doesn't jump out of the slot, and gently does it!

I have the version with two horizontal bars and have found it to be stable and straightforward to use.

Regarding strength, they're usually made of stainless steel - by the time the tips are being damaged, your aluminium retaining ring is being mashed up, and the tool has slipped and taken a gouge out of your front element and/or finger. I've always found the amount of force required to undo and tighten to be reassuringly less than what I would consider to be at risk of slipping.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and recomendations.

I received my tool today and although I have yet to use it, it feels sturdy and strong.

DSCF4507.JPG

Back