Recommend me a film ASA for this camera !

Edit My Images
Yes
I have been experimenting with a basic focus free fixed setting camera camera which I like the results from ( a sort of Holga Lomography look) It tends to under expose when I use 200 ASA film but I wondered which ASA film you would recommend do you think 800 would be too high ! I of course realize that any ASA would be a compromise

Here are a couple of photos in different light conditions I think it is still under exposing slightly in the bright conditions.

Dull overcast conditions

b.jpg a.jpg

Very bright sun

c.jpg

I assume it's a 35mm camera, if so:

By 'fixed setting' I take it you mean that the camera has a fixed ISO setting, and it doesn't read the film bar code and change the ISO setting automatically? If yes, then:

If there is a manually adjustable ISO setting on the camera, then change it to 100 ISO and use 200 ISO film and see if that helps. If not:

Try a cheap roll of 400 ISO colour print film and see how that looks?

If the camera automatically reads the ISO setting from the film cassette and adjusts itself then you'll be chasing rainbows because if it's underexposing at 200 ISO then it will probably automatically adjust to underexpose at whatever other ISO film you put in it. Hope this makes sense and is useful. (y)

Last edited:
Hope this makes sense

So do I cos you've confused me beyond belief :confused::D:D

On a more serious note then I agree with Rj, the 800 asa film shouldn't be too high …..most film can over expose and hold onto highlight detail pretty well whereas underexposure is gunna give you nothing ( lack of shadow detail!)

Mr B has some interesting points to consider that may well help but I think, the OP has a camera with no adjustable settings

Do you mean a fixed exposure setting or a fixed focus setting, or both?

What camera is it?

What camera is it?

Good Question.

Do you mean a fixed exposure setting or a fixed focus setting, or both?

What camera is it?
Focus free and fixed setting according to the opening post. I would use 400 ISO film as the pictures are not very underexposed. (You will struggle to find any ASA rated film!)

Last edited:
I think the Fuji Quicksnap single-use cameras use(d) 400asa, so I'd try that first. Unless the camera in question came out when/where 800asa was commonly available, I'd assume that it was geared to use 400.

It's easier to recommend a camera that would work at 200 ISO, and probably cheaper than buying a faster film.

For the last 25 years or so of 'popular' film-photo, 100ASA was the common 'standard' film speed.... that is where I would start.

Typical plastic-lens, 'toy' camera of the late film-era; (I probably have a couple or more still knocking about in the 'doofer' boxes with lens pouches that dont fit any lens I own and things like that!).BUT.... f16-Sunny.. suggests a shutter one-over the film ASA at f16 on a good sunny day.. open up a stop if its a bit cloudy, two if it's over cast, three if its twilight or sky's full of black-clouds and or rain... anything darker, inside, or in shaddow use the flash!

A probably a 35mm-ish focal length for wide-angle lens compact, would then invoke the old rule-of-thumb for hand-holding, keep shutter speed higher than one over focal length.... and if making a fixed setting 'toy' camera, you would PROBABLY set the shutter speed at something around 1/30th, and the aperture around f8, expecting film speed 'around 100 or 200ASA to most likely be used.

At 100ASA... on an f16-sunny day, outdoors, that would probably give around three, to four stops 'over' exposed... high-lights would blow, B-U-T you'd get a picture.... meanwhile, as ambient light fell, those settings would get closer and be good enough to get you some light and a half reasonable exposure when it got cloudy, and likely only be a 'bit' dark if you were shooting in the twilight, and only completely black, if shooting inside, without flash.

Tru-Print and Co, who developed the photo's from these cameras were then trusted to make the best of the job, and tweek the exposure in printing, to brighten up dimmer shots and dim down the brighter ones.....relying on the "Exposure Latitude" of the film to be able to even things up a bit..... and you threw away the ones that were no good at all! Hey, at least they were 'cheap'!

NOW.....800ASA, is one stop faster than 400ASA, two stops faster than 200ASA, three stops faster than 100ASA..... In a fixed setting toy camera, that pushes exposure levels up, from a cloudy twilight to a good sunny day.... and IF the settings are optimized around f16-sunny, means that you are just going to start blowing highlights sooner. Going t'other way.... three stops wont get you day-light like exposures in a dark pub interior... Either way, you wont be so far off, but, high-lights like to blow, shadows still wanna murk....

Back to the printers... How much compensation are they dialing in on the enlarger settings? I am presuming here that you are doing that bit of the job digital-wise with a scanner.... but you and/or scanner should still be doing the same, pushing it up a bit or pulling it down a bit in repro, to suit.

The Canal wharf, on a bright sunny day; the sky is blue, there's a few clouds in it, it looks not far off.... probably not quite an f-16 Sunny day, it's managed not to blow any high-lights.....

Your aeroplane shots on dull day.. bit dim, yes. But the tarmac under the planes looks pretty dark, the hanger behind well shaddowed; the sky is obviously quite grey, BUT, to my eye it looks reasonably faithful, and probably only a stops or so below what might have been a more pleasant exposure... and you can probably dial in a couple of extra stops of exposure in post, and not obviously white out the sky, just loose some cloud detail....

Its actually not far from what I'd expect if I metered by eye with the meter-less Zenit or similar, and went by f-16 sunny to suggest an exposure based on a guesstimate of 'incident' light on the scene, rather than a reflected light reading taken made by electrikery in the camera, which would likely try and up the exposure expecting an average 18% grey for the whole scene, it didn't get, because of the dark tarmac foreground and dark shadowed hanger back-ground.

There's no such thing as the 'wrong' exposure, just a more or less pleasing one.... and this gives illustration.

BUT more revealing, is that in both sets, far focus isn't 'so' crisp, which hints that either it's a very Lomo plastic lens toy camera, OR its a zone focus compact, and focus zone set to something in the close to middle distance, chucking the far subjects into the fuzz....

IF its a rather dire plastic-lens curved film-trap toy-camera.... then what film to stick in it would not be much of an issue... it's gonna be hit and miss whatever, and faster film will just blow sooner!

IF its a more sophisticated zone-focus camera... and more, its actually got some coupling adjusting the aperture and possibly shutter-speed with the set focus zone..... the game would be that using faster film, you could push the focus further away from the camera, let it pull the aperture down and maximize the DoF some-what; OR using slower film, you would have to be a bit cuter about the focus zone set, pulling the DoF closer to the camera, to make sure your subject was all 'in' that DoF zone, that you probably could only guess at, or determine by trial and error and experience.... this being the 'fun' of Lomo-esque cameras.. either trying deliberately to get more from them than they can offer, or knowing what they will do, for 'effect', discovered by serendipity.

BUT.. in such games, I'd be loading whatever film was cheapest or to hand, and I'd not really be expecting the stuff to do all that much for me; I'd be shooting to 'play' and expecting to make 'adjustment', like Tru-Print would have done in days of yore, in the scanner software and/or in post-process.... A-N-D likely just happy I GOT an exposure.... not fretting whether it was a stop over or under what a more sophisticated camera might reckon to be 'ideal'... heck... If I wanted a machine to do that all for me, I would leave the film in the fridge and take the electric-picture-maker!

Brings us back to the question 'what camera', and springing to mind is my old XA2 and its near hidden ASA selection slide under the lens, easily unfound or unset.... very sophisticated coupled metering system, calibrated from 25ASA up to possible 800ASA.. and I err wonder.... clam-shell lens cover that slides the zone-focus back to center 'group shot', when the clam-shut.

The XA's three zones, are alledgedly, 'about' 3-6 feet for close up, 4 feet to 'near' hyper focal for group shot, and 20feet to infinity for landscape.... and 'most' zone focus compacts have focus zones in that sort of order....

Fact that in your shots, the back-ground is tending to oof... sort of suggests that the focus is set or optimised for a closer focus distance and shorter DoF, which is NOT something I would expect of a fixed focus compact, I would expect to be optimized to a further focus distance and deeper DoF for focus lattitude on middle and fat subjects, and to heck with hit and miss close-ups....

On the old XA2.... that closing the clam 'reset' was and still is occasionally critasised for the ease you can forget to re-set focus if you close cap twixt shots... BUT defaulting to the 'group' middle distance setting, with almost hyper-focal focus in its range.. even there, most landscapes can still turn out acceptably sharp... its a pretty perverse mistake to get far subjects oof, and near ones crisp, using the closer focus 'head and shoulders' icon instead of the 'mountain'!

My Konica C35, is a bit easier to cock-up... it has an aperture priority mode, to manually select wider apertures, and the zone-focus lever don't default when you turn the meter on or off by covering the sensor with the rubber lens-cap! But even there, with a manually selectable and reasonably 'fast' aperture, zone focus tends towards hyperfocal, and its actually incredibly hard to get middle and far subject OoF with it!

So how the heck did an allegedly fixed focus camera get the far distance Oof?

Begs suggestion its either NOT a fixed focus camera, its a more sophisticated zone focus camera, OR its a REALLY dire fixed focus lomo-toy!!! And/or possibly damaged along the way!

Either which wayz about... what film speed is NOT the first question I would be asking, IF I asked at all.... the three stops difference between 100ASA and 800ASA re NOT going to make an awfully huge odds in the greater scheme of things, I think that there are much bigger fish to be fried here, and, looking at the legacy of old fixed exposure, fixed focus 'toy' cameras and tru-print correction in printing, that is probably as much or a bigger difference to look at using....

As said, for lomo-serendipity-photo-fun, I would chuck in whatever crud was cheap and to hand, and takes my chances... If I wanted to get a bit more deliberate about the job, where picking film to suit the subject might matter a bit, and stood some chance to make a bit of difference... I'd not be using a 'lomo-esque' camera, I'd probably be picking up my Grandad's old Kodak Retinette, or my old Zenit, or the Sigma Mk1, and a light-meter, and pontificating the difference between incident readings and reflected readings, and wondering whether to crack out the surveyors tape to get my focus range a bit closer, or if "Err, how many Ford Granadas could I park between me and that lamp post?" was good enough.....

I have been experimenting with a basic focus free fixed setting camera camera which I like the results from ( a sort of Holga Lomography look) It tends to under expose when I use 200 ASA film but I wondered which ASA film you would recommend do you think 800 would be too high ! I of course realize that any ASA would be a compromise

Here are a couple of photos in different light conditions I think it is still under exposing slightly in the bright conditions.

Dull overcast conditions

View attachment 136703 View attachment 136704

Very bright sun

View attachment 136705
Have you scanned those images yourself from negs or are they created automaticly by a lab?
400ISO films are common and TriX (B&W) especially is very forgiving, Portra 400 would be an option in color though the way color negs handles overexposure (around +6 stops) makes the Portra 800 do great too. But by then its becoming rather expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for your input, much appreciated. The camera is an Akita TT018 super naff plastic,plastic lens camera somewhere near but not as well built as a disposable camera . Focus free, battery free,quality free, mIrrorless and you are stuck with the settings how they are , To add to the difficulty I cannot find any info as what they are so I'm just experimenting to find where it works best. As it's a cheap holiday style camera I've already worked out out that it likes subjects in the near to middle distance but had no idea what film would be best so tried what I had which was 200 ASA/ISO film. I'm really just challenging myself to try and get the best I can from the poor thing. The shots were process and scanned by a Lab (Photo Express) so I had no control over that maybe next time I could get them to leave them in the soup a little longer.I have played with them a little in post but would prefer to get them a little nearer in the first place
( I'm not a big fan of mixing computers and photography !)

Here is a photo of the beast and no it's not for sale !

akita.jpg

To prove the point about it liking subjects fairly close here is a photo of me in my caravan using a small flash taken by my 4 year old grandson (he has taken quite a liking to photography)
Although a little dark I don't think its done too bad.

me.jpg

Having seen the camera you are most likely thinking I had it from this place

joke.jpg

Last edited:
IIRC I've seen Akita SLRs at the bootie...no one ever buys them.

Back