Recommend me a Monitor

Name
James Stockton
Edit My Images
Yes
I havent posted on here for ages! Hope all is ok.

I've had a crappy monitor for ages now, a 19in widescreen glass front LCD. I think its Advent. I've put up with it for long enough now and cant cope with its changing colours as a when it feels (white pixels looks like dirty sandy colours one moment and back to normal the next). On the whole, its poo.

I have a little cash spare and think that a new monitor is well overdue. Budget wise, I dont have one just yet, I want to see what is available and take it from there. I'd also like to calibrate the new one so if anyone can recomend a decent monitor and calibration device then I would be muchous grateful.

Ta

depends what you want to do with it.

For general use and most photography, a basic graphics card is all that is needed. Games and video require more capable systems.

In the future, photoshop will use the number crunching capabilities of graphics cards to speed up processing.

I was thinking of getting one of these... Samsung SM2433BW 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor

As for GFX cards I don't believe you need a 200 quid one just to get the best of the monitor. Any 512mb card should be good enough depending on the rest of your machine.. (awaits flame...)

Whatever you buy, make sure that it's not based around a TN panel. Cheaper tft monitors tend to use TN panels purely because of their cost but the performance of these panels is quite poor. TN panels suffer from poor viewing angles which can give very uneven light levels across the panel, leading to one half of the screen looking darker than the othe half!

There's a very good write up of the different types of panel here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

I have recently moved from a cheap TN panel to 2 U2410 24-Inch IPS, and I will NEVER go back to TN. These things are amazing. Ok mine are 24" and I have dual Screen set-up, but every photo looks so good in Photoshop.

Just another Yes to IPS here.

Though I'm not keen on some of Dell's after sales policys, I'd also recommend the 2209WA. In fact, I've a spare one I no longer use.

I have recently moved from a cheap TN panel to 2 U2410 24-Inch IPS, and I will NEVER go back to TN. These things are amazing. Ok mine are 24" and I have dual Screen set-up, but every photo looks so good in Photoshop.

Just another Yes to IPS here.

Nothing wrong with TN panels if you don't have a massive budget JimBob, but if you do happen to have £900 to spare get yourself a pair of U2410 monitors and you won't be unhappy...

I didn't say anything was wrong with TN, I have always has TN. But now I have seen what a nice IPS can do for me, I could not go back. I am not a gamer, so fast refresh is not high on my list. I also was not saying you need the same model as me, as there were many £'s But I did get them for £380 each. Bargain.

But you can pick up a nice 21" IPN for under £200 easy.

End of the day down to budget and personal preference. But IPS gets my vote.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound snappy there, I agree IPS panels are better, they are considerably more expensive though. The Dell 2209WA mentioned above is a kind of a halfway step to true IPS and a nice price on overclockers.

Sorry, didn't mean it to sound snappy there, I agree IPS panels are better, they are considerably more expensive though. The Dell 2209WA mentioned above is a kind of a halfway step to true IPS and a nice price on overclockers.

Hehe no worries, end of the day I agree, it depends how much the OP wants to spend.

The 2209WA will be a nice screen for sure.

Check out the HP LP2475w as well. I bought direct from HP and got 10% discount for registering. I don't know if that's still a current offer but it's worth a look.

How much, if you don't mind me asking?

Actually, don't worry about it. I've one a few months old you could have had for next to nothing, but you're sorted now so...

Ah ****, I read your post yesterday and was supposed to PM you but I'd forgotten! That'll teach me. :( I'm tempted to ask how much you would have accepted for it, but on the other hand i'd rather not know :puke:

I just paid £203.55 inc delivery for it.

sorry to bump an aging thread but how would the dell compare to a samsung pebble 2032BW? Is there really a large improvement between the E-IPS and the TN?

I think in all cases an IPS display would way be better than a TN, and certainly for photo use.
I grabbed the following info off the net quite a while back now, so it's probably a bit out of date but it does give a quick description of the various display panel types that are (were) available...

S-IPS and S-PVA are true 8 Bit. S-IPS has limited Contrast ratios and tend to be Slower on the Response times, but also tend to be more expensive.

There are pro and con arguments for each, but I did find this interesting.

"S-IPS panels typically offer good viewing angles with accurate 8-bit colour representation. Screen contrast, however, remains poorer than other panels.
With recent advances in TN and PVA/MVA panels, these screens have been left behind as they remain slower than TN panels and offer less visual quality than PVA/MVA panels.
Latest news within the industry suggests these panels will soon be discontinued.

Traditionally, PVA/MVA panels on the other hand are famed for deep black levels, superb contrast ratios and 8-bit colour... all at the expense of speed.
Recently, however, MVA panels have made a huge technological leap with the development of very fast 8ms panels. The average response times on this panels are better than 8ms TN panels.
PVA panels are commonly seen on older & larger LCD displays. Although they offer similar colour and picture quality as a MVA panel, they haven’t improved significantly in terms of response time. Recent reviews suggest that the fastest PVA panels rated at 16ms fail to show significant improvement in response time over older 25ms PVA panels

When you consider that the PVA/MVA panels retain their great image quality and perform better at the same refresh rate, these panels are likely to soon phase out both the S-IPS and TN panels."

S-PVA has improved the response times quit a bit over PVA.

IF you want the widest viewing angles possible then S-IPS is the way to go.

IF you want the fastest Monitor possible ie Gaming use, then TN or MVA is the way to go.

IF you want the best tonal range possible with decent speed than S-PVA is what you want.

The perfect monitor would have the Viewing angle of a S-IPS, the Speed of a TN and the Tonal range (Contrast) and colour accuracy of a S-PVA.

Check http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php to find out about specific models and display types

Back