Recommend me a monitor

Edit My Images
No
Evening all.

So, I have a 27'' acer at the moment which has served me well. It's an S275HL (1920 x 1080). It was middle of the road when I bought it, but as technology changes so quickly it was a huge step up from my previous monitor. That was probably 2 years ago now, maybe more. No doubt technology has lept forward again, so another middle of the road monitor will be a big step up.

What do I want to use it for? No gaming, it's not my thing. Plenty of Lightroom, photo shizzle, Netflix, browsing etc etc. Bigger is better in the man world right, so 32'' would probably do the trick. Nothing bigger though. I would like 4k capability, but not essential. Budget is around £400

What would you be looking at?

I'll be interested to hear suggestions as I want one too, for much the same uses. Something that comes close to Apple Retina quality but for pc would be good.

I'm considering moving up from a 24" TN screen and so far the Dell U2715H is in the lead for me. It has a decent screen resolution at 2560 x 1440 and IPS seems to be good for image editing, I'm fairly sure they'll have bigger screens available.

id stick with quad hd resolution (typically about £380) at this stage as 4k/5k is still very expensive for the marginal benefit, yet it's way better than 1080p - we get 1080p screens at work and they now seem very low res!

What's your viewing distance? Bigger is not always better.
For 27" I'd go with the Dell U2715. I have the 25" version and it's superb.

There are a few out their for 400 quid. A quick search on Amazon came up with these..

LG 27MU67 £414.67 - looks ugly though
Asus M27AQ £396.92
Asus PB298Q £282.95 - widescreen monitor
Dell P2715Q £465.99

Not used any of these but you do want an IPS panel, not TN..

I sit about 4 feet away I would say.

I had a good look on ebuyer yesterday and there are plenty out there to choose from. I reckon £400 will get me what I want easily enough. The question is do I want to spend it. The one I have now is close to 3 years old but still a good monitor. I'll either bite the bullet and get one or upgrade my 50mm 1.4 for a sigma art. Decisions, decisions

I’m in the market currently with roughly the same budget, and have additionally shortlisted a BenQ SW2700PT monitor that comes in at slightly more (£499). I’ll be connecting to a Macbook Pro and using similarly.

There appears to be some good reviews, but possibly some product inconsistency from some buyers’ experiences.

Anyone who has one and/or can recommend or not please chime in.

(Happy to start another thread should this constitute a ‘highjack’, for which I apologise in advance should it be deemed so)

I sit about 4 feet away I would say.

That's some distance, I'm less than 2 ft away from my 25" Think even 27" would seem too small for me that far away.
I think you'd be happy with any Ultrasharp Dell. They have a great pixel guarantee and very good customer service. The U2715h is at a v good price on PC Buy it at £368 or £389 at Amazon.
I'd recommend reading TFTCentral for reviews.

I'm going to need a new calibration device now!!
Andy, just ask on here, because on some Dell monitors I think you can only use a certain type, someone will come along with the answer.
I have a Colour munki display, that I have been happy with for my monitor

Jan, I'm leaning towards an X-rite i1 Display Pro, it's quite expensive but the reviews seem to be favourable.

A friend loaned me a ColorMunki Display, just to get my screens calibrated for the time being and I have to say that I wasn't very impressed with it. I made several attempts to calibrate both monitors, but with inconsistent results. In the end I found the guide shown in the link and at least now my PC and screens have remembered the settings.

https://www.xrite.com/colormunki-display/support/kb5828

Back