Recommend me a USB only Printer

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34016

Ok so why not wireless?

Simple , my office is in one of the spare bedrooms, my router (Sky) is in my lounge, now the problem is I have a steel spiral stair case and this does interrupt my wireless signal to a great extent and running a wireless printer is a no go for me - Hence my need for a None Wireless ( usb) printer

I have my desktop PC connected directly to the Router using a 15m Ethernet cable and it works seamlessly :)

I do not print photos' just a few documents Letters etc & I have tried every option open to me ( I believe )

So, guys - recommendations please?

Les :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that it largely depends on how much you want to pay. From what I can tell the high end printers by Canon and Epson have the cable connections and wireless operations. They are quite expensive and after a lot of soul searching I bought a Epson P700.

This may be a bit of an overkill for your purposes, but an A4 printer may not have what you need. It will probably be cheaper (and more permanent) to have the telephone line coming into your house moved so that it enters the house upstairs. An extension cable down to where you have the present line or phone is not a good idea for the router, but it matters not for a telephone line.

Do you need colour or is mono okay?

I have a brother laser colour and have just purchased a brother laser mono for the kids, reason for buying brother laser is that you get check compatibility toners from amazon.

Thanks all for the replies, appreciated :) and thank you to @troutfisher for the recommendation, looks like what I need if all else fails :)

I called SKY my service provider and they are sending ma ( free) a wi fi signal booster ( Powerline) to plug into the mains supply in my office, this, they say will greatly boost the wi fi signal to the office
and therefore allow me to connect wirelessly to my printer via the PC - sounds simple enough

My printer is an HP DeskJet 2622 it does have a USB- B connector - however: when I try to connect, turning off the wi-fi on my PC the app from HP tells me I need to be connected to the internet / Wi-Fi - which owing to the PC /Printer location It cannot do :mad: It fails to recognise the HP printer on the USB connections even

Confused? Me too

I think so , I have tried to contact my pal but he is not answering so I will find out later but just give CCL a call and ask them

I have done that- but with a product description and via e mail

Thanks again Chris :)

When I switched my Canon from Wi-Fi to direct connection I had to reinstall the printer coz it was installed with Wi-Fi

Thanks all for the replies, appreciated :) and thank you to @troutfisher for the recommendation, looks like what I need if all else fails :)

I called SKY my service provider and they are sending ma ( free) a wi fi signal booster ( Powerline) to plug into the mains supply in my office, this, they say will greatly boost the wi fi signal to the office
and therefore allow me to connect wirelessly to my printer via the PC - sounds simple enough

My printer is an HP DeskJet 2622 it does have a USB- B connector - however: when I try to connect, turning off the wi-fi on my PC the app from HP tells me I need to be connected to the internet / Wi-Fi - which owing to the PC /Printer location It cannot do :mad: It fails to recognise the HP printer on the USB connections even

Confused? Me too

I would suggest uninstalling the printer and reinstalling it!

Why, well on my old mono laser HP I had install via USB and as part of the process "tell" the PC to connect via WiFi......yes, I can manually go into settings and make changes but in some ways fat simpler to re-install from scratch, perhaps.

PS can't recall but I think the Canon inkjet also needed the same process to make the WiFi connection???

Last edited:
I think so , I have tried to contact my pal but he is not answering so I will find out later but just give CCL a call and ask them

Just spoken to my pal . he just plugged in and it connected to the internet ( not wirelessly) and set its self up. He is on win 7 but like I said ring CCL and ask

So you now have wifi in your office? thanks to the powerline wifi booster? Then you can connect your printer to the booster wifi signal and be on your way without buying a new printer.

Alternatively, try the USB method. I'm confused why you messed with your wifi on your PC? I thought it's ethernet wired to the router and thus the internet?
Have you tried reinstalled HP drivers? Or delete existing drivers and let Windows automatically find one?

So you now have wifi in your office? thanks to the powerline wifi booster? Then you can connect your printer to the booster wifi signal and be on your way without buying a new printer.

Alternatively, try the USB method. I'm confused why you messed with your wifi on your PC? I thought it's ethernet wired to the router and thus the internet?
Have you tried reinstalled HP drivers? Or delete existing drivers and let Windows automatically find one?

Not until the Booster arrives ( hopefully tomorrow) :LOL: I have no wireless in my office as yet . :(

I did not as you say " messed with" anything, as my PC was telling me I needed a wireless connection, I simply turned of the wi-fi to my PC and tried to re-install the printer
using only a USB cable - with no success - my pc is as you say hard wired to the back of the router via a 15m Ethernet cable and does work on the internet seamlessly - My PC cannot wirelessly or with the USB stuck up its back end find the Printer

Not sure how to delete drivers - I have uninstalled the HP app and will reinstall as and when I receive the Booster

I had the similar but different problem that a while ago my desktop and laptop stopped talking wirelessly to the printer. I think it was a glitch in a W10 update which has probably been fixed now but I'm not changing something that works. Upshot is there's a usb cable plugged into the printer that can be connected to whichever computer I want to print from. I remember that when I installed the printer to the desktop via usb the printer reidentified itself, leading to a bit of head scratching when I told it 'print' and it couldn't find the printer as it was defaulting to the wifi id and I had to dig out the new one. Could be something that simple, but..........
My desktop is also a hardwire connection to the router but I don't think I've turned off wifi in either computer or printer.

Thank you Jan- I will have to wait and see if the Booster has any effect

Confused? Me too

It sounds like the HP app is looking for the necessary drivers to install your printer....

That said, before buying a new printer....

Try here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...in-one-printer-series/12319824/model/16779289

Download the driver, the smaller, HP Easy Start driver. Install and then plug your printer into your computer via usb, you should be good to go.

Thank you Jan- I will have to wait and see if the Booster has any effect

This is probably easiest.

Once it arrives, get the printer connected to wifi and everything work as intended.

To uninstall driver, right click on bottom left Windows button and select Device Manager, then find the printer and right click to Property, then one of the tab should allow you to uninstall the driver. This is with it plugged in, otherwise it won't show up.

This is probably easiest.

Once it arrives, get the printer connected to wifi and everything work as intended.

To uninstall driver, right click on bottom left Windows button and select Device Manager, then find the printer and right click to Property, then one of the tab should allow you to uninstall the driver. This is with it plugged in, otherwise it won't show up.

Booster arrived- connected wirelessly to the Hub and now everything works 100%

Thanks for letting us know and pleased you got it sorted, that signal booster may be worth looking at generally in other areas.

Thanks for letting us know and pleased you got it sorted, that signal booster may be worth looking at generally in other areas.

No worries Chris, I don't like to leave a thread empty :)

I have very good wi-fi all over the house ( Sky super fast fibre) its the Steel spiral stairs that seem to upset the signal to my office/man cave

Back