Recommend me some meat!

Anything that is local, free-range and a traditional breed will taste wonderful, and for beef make sure it is well hung as well. Don't touch anything intensively raised - it doesn't taste as good and hasn't had a good life.

Thanks Dean, going to look into this

Can i also say that if you have some recipes we have a cook book at the top of this page you could/maybe put them in all will be greatful.. Ta muchly

I have seen it but I never cook by numbers so haven't added anything to it. :)

Don't forget the joys of fish too. It's the flesh of another formerly living creature and therefore meat....and YUMMY.

Mmmmmm . . . this thread is making me hungry.

Some great suggestions, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned offal yet . . . liver and bacon casserole, steak and kidney pie, black pudding . . . definitely worthy of a mention in here :)

i didn't because i can't have it at the moment ta for that "liver bacon. marrowfat peas and grain mustard dumplings" oh black pudding with coleslaw

If you are doing a lamb leg, get some garlic and rosemary with it. I get a small knife and cut into the leg with the point, put a sliver/chunk of garlic in it and a stem of rosemary, smells amazing when roasting.

Thanks for all the tips and ideas so far boys and girls. plenty for me to chew on (I'll get my coat!) :exit:

AgentG said:
Roasted Rabbit is always good, as are game birds.

You can't beat a good game bird ;-)

For melt in the mouth, you can't beat a good braised beef/lamb joint or even cheaper cut. You may need to mess around getting veg cut fried etc to go in the pan, but the aroma you will have is worth it.

With weather how it is, how about a stew with fresh bread rolls.

Dean what type of mincer do you use?

Morning, Terri. I know I'm not Dean but I do mince (!). I've got a counter mounted (suction base) Spong mincer - 3 easily changeable mincing plates and fairly easy to clean (but I have to remember to coat the plates with oil after washing to stop them rusting). Mostly used for mincing cooked roasts for shepherds' or cottage pies but also for burger mince.

So it's from a cow that lives in a field??? I bet it even had a name.

Many years ago, I worked as a general farm hand, including plenty of animal husbandry. The farm I worked on supplied a local butcher with most of his beasts which he processed from walking to cooker ready. Most of the beasts were named and the meat from those whose names I knew tasted better than the rest! Supermarket meat can't come close to "proper" butcher meat but most High Street butchers now buy from bulk suppliers rather than killing and processing (the meat) themselves.

Looks good Pete - shame the website gives no clue as to where they are beyond Branscombe and as you're even more aware than me, it's quite a long village with a few side roads! I know I could order it off the web but since it's only me in the house that eats meat, quantities would be small so I doubt they would deliver to me in person (and if it was posted, it may take a while to get here "21 days hung and 4 days in a box in an uncontrolled warehouse"!). Next time we're down your way, I'll pop in there (I can easily phone and ask for directions!) and treat myself. Hopefully by then, I'll be driving and will bring the Jaaaggg!

cheers nod i think i am going to have to get one... will have a look about.

Looks good Pete - shame the website gives no clue as to where they are beyond Branscombe and as you're even more aware than me, it's quite a long village with a few side roads! I know I could order it off the web but since it's only me in the house that eats meat, quantities would be small so I doubt they would deliver to me in person (and if it was posted, it may take a while to get here "21 days hung and 4 days in a box in an uncontrolled warehouse"!). Next time we're down your way, I'll pop in there (I can easily phone and ask for directions!) and treat myself. Hopefully by then, I'll be driving and will bring the Jaaaggg!

Nod, the farm I use deliver for free on any order over 20 quid I think. And it's grassfed!

Pulled pork has to be one of my favourites. Cooked very long and constantly recovered in all the barbecue sauce to make it really nicely braised and to allow the flavours to penetrate right through. Then just get two forks (or your fingers) and flake it apart. It should be as tender as pork comes. Amazing in a sandwich or as a proper meal.

kangaroo gets a vote from me, also had wildebeest burgers once, no fat came out of them when cooking but still the juiciest burger ive ever had

Yeah i would say its not about weird and wonderful animals just your regulars but its how you cook them. Anything slow cooked from a lamb shoulder to pork ribs in a sweet sticky marinate is a joy.

I also make my own mince when making burgers. Dice 50/50 rump and chuck braising steak (You can just use chuck, pick the fattest bits not the leanest) into inch pieces then but into the freezer for hour or so, until they start hardening up then in handfuls at a time pulse them in a food processor.

Last edited:
Just picked up a nice 1.2kg piece of brisket from Sainsburys that was near to sell-by date for £5.00....... that'll make a tasty snack methinks ;)

Home made game pie for the watch last week went down a storm :)

Has to be melt in your mouth fresh though... After necking loads of the stuff in SA earlier this year, vacuum packed doesn't quite cut it :-(

Slow cooked shinbeef for me... Fried up with onions and lentils and slow cooked for around 8 hrs, and thickened up and served with big dumplings and veg

As i said... I make my own.. £30 for the drier - homemade from mdf and wood.. lightbulbs to generate the warmth to dry....

Trouble is 2kg reduces t 1 kg or so after drying... and then you try irt and eat it and eat it and eat it.. and then have to wait a week for more...

Morning, Terri. I know I'm not Dean but I do mince (!). I've got a counter mounted (suction base) Spong mincer - 3 easily changeable mincing plates and fairly easy to clean (but I have to remember to coat the plates with oil after washing to stop them rusting). Mostly used for mincing cooked roasts for shepherds' or cottage pies but also for burger mince.

Many years ago, I worked as a general farm hand, including plenty of animal husbandry. The farm I worked on supplied a local butcher with most of his beasts which he processed from walking to cooker ready. Most of the beasts were named and the meat from those whose names I knew tasted better than the rest! Supermarket meat can't come close to "proper" butcher meat but most High Street butchers now buy from bulk suppliers rather than killing and processing (the meat) themselves.

Nod you missed the point........

We do not have a microwave
The freezer part of our fridge is filed with ice and sloe gin (it is better when syrupy)

I fully support local butchers etc, hence my disdain of stupid market meat, broiler chickens passed on as "value chickens"....

I have always want to try and cure my own bacon any one ever tried that?

'Mornin' Lynton, not missing your point at all - in fact I was agreeing wholeheartedly with it! "Real" meat is so much better than mass produced supermarket meat and is well worth the premium it usually commands.

We do have a microwave but it's used mainly for defrosting curries, chillis, soups etc made from leftovers (Mrs Nod's veggie and small rosts are barely worth having, so I tend to get a decent sized one and cube/mince the excess for freezer "instant" meals). Can't remember ever having used it for actual cooking rather than reheating.

They have some good deals going on at Hamazon at the moment (y)

Might have a look. Will avoid E-baycon though!

'Mornin' Lynton, not missing your point at all - in fact I was agreeing wholeheartedly with it! "Real" meat is so much better than mass produced supermarket meat and is well worth the premium it usually commands.

We do have a microwave but it's used mainly for defrosting curries, chillis, soups etc made from leftovers (Mrs Nod's veggie and small rosts are barely worth having, so I tend to get a decent sized one and cube/mince the excess for freezer "instant" meals). Can't remember ever having used it for actual cooking rather than reheating.

oops sorry... misread your post... :naughty: d'oh!

I cooked us a haunch of venison today, given to us by a friend who is a gamekeeper. Holy hell it was tasty.

I was brought up on venison, to me it's the purest meat (when sourced correctly) . Would never buy it from butcher or supermarket, would have to see it hanging in the larder, the old keeper used to say to me, leave it hanging for at least a week! !!! Nothing like it. (oh i miss being a gamey sometimes, great life crap money )

I love forerib as a roast, and bit it must be rare.
Brisket as a casarol, for me I have to cook it even longer than special man, and I cook mine for 5 to 6 hours low, it just falls apart, and yum yum.
Steak has to be cooked blue, no other way will do. :)

Most game I like, and if you get the chance try to squirrel, we normally have it as sweet and sour with home made sweet and sour sauce, or as burgers, it is really nice

I cooked us a haunch of venison today, given to us by a friend who is a gamekeeper. Holy hell it was tasty.

I hate you!!

Back when I was self employed I used to get venison fairly regularly from one customer and it was lovely slow roasted with onions.

I was going to buy a couple of hunks of venison today, but then i realised it was too dear :coat:

Back