Recommendations for 6x4 NON CROP photo printing

It's a long time since I had a batch of digital photos printed but as I recall it, I once went to the effort of altering "canvas size" to give white borders and an overall size/ratio same as the print size (the actual images were cropped to varying degrees too - so not all standard size/ratio) - the printing service cropped the white borders off and then cropped the other sides to "fit" the image onto the paper.

If you need edge to edge, uncropped images at exactly 6x4, print at home and cut the images out of larger sheets.

If you need edge to edge, uncropped images at exactly 6x4, print at home and cut the images out of larger sheets.
When I last printed out pics at home there were two problems :

1 - The quality was not as good as a commercial photo printer's
2 - By the time I'd paid for the decent quality photo paper, and the ink, it was far more expensive !

Besides, printing pout 100 pics at home would take forever.....

Not as long as waiting for a set of prints that you're happy with (size wise) to come back!

Getting good home prints is easy and with a decent printer, the quality is up there with commercial printers.

My guess is their printers automatically decided the light grey border was not content and re-cropped to remove it + printing bleed area resulting in the crop you don't like.
There is next to no human involvement in online printing, that's why its cheap.

If you like how Harrison's print then I'd swallow their price increase- you seem to be spending a lot of time to get a result you don't like.

Reactions: Nod
My guess is their printers automatically decided the light grey border was not content and re-cropped to remove it + printing bleed area resulting in the crop you don't like.
There is next to no human involvement in online printing, that's why its cheap.

If you like how Harrison's print then I'd swallow their price increase- you seem to be spending a lot of time to get a result you don't like.
I would agree I am spending an inordinate amount of time, or, hopefully, I have done !
I think I have more or less sorted it now, and the fact I have put the results on here will hopefully help others who also want no crop printing.
I would have swallowed a significant price rise from Harrisons, may be even 50%, which is still a massive rise don't forget. But 150% ? No, that's just taking the ****, it was a matter of the principle even more than the money when it was that high.

>>My guess is their printers automatically decided the light grey border was not content and re-cropped to remove it + printing bleed area resulting in the crop you don't like.<<

Have you any idea what might be a better colour to choose ?

Last edited:
I have just had a batch of pics back from Photobox and can confirm their "shrink to fit" option works very well.
I had put a 50 pix border on the images to ensure no cropping (due to "bleed area") but all the pics came back with a significant border showing. I reckon 20 picx would be adequate, and possibly none at all ?

I have just had a batch of pics back from Photobox and can confirm their "shrink to fit" option works very well.
I had put a 50 pix border on the images to ensure no cropping (due to "bleed area") but all the pics came back with a significant border showing. I reckon 20 picx would be adequate, and possibly none at all ?
I sent the latest batch in to Photobox with only a 20pix border with no apparent problems, though a comment from AMcUK earlier (that the border was being ignored as having no content) may be true as the edge of the photos seem to correspond almost exactly with the edge of the image (though when I used the 50 pix border mentioned above it was recognised !). Still, putting a 20pix border on using Irfan batch (explained earlier) is easy enough.
I didn't bother with the Irfan 6x4 canvass option as it didn't seem to help and is just a load of extra complication, esp as all portrait pics have to rotated to landscape for that to work properly.
As an aside Photobox print the image name on the back of the pic which is useful, esp if the pics are printed out in date order not name order (and they have been edited into multi pics or whatever at a later date).

So, to conclude, I suspect just sending the images in to Photobox with no added border (but selecting "No Crop Print") may well work fine, but adding a 20 pix border with Irfan is insurance and not that hard anyway.

Last edited:
Back