Recommendations for a backpack please.

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
I've very quickly found out that the little bag I've got just isn't up to the job. So I was hoping someone would kindly recommend something that fits the following spec:

-Needs to be a backpack rather than sling bag or pouch.
-Doesn't need to be massive, and I'd rather a smaller one anyway, so long as it will comfortably hold an un-gripped Nikon 3100 and 2 or 3 lenses including a telephoto. And perhaps a lunchbox and flask.
-Needs to be waterproof or reasonably weatherproof.
- Provision for tripod a bonus, but not a must.
- And the clincher, needs to be around or under the £60 mark. :eek:

Don't ask for much do I?

I've had a look, and lowepro and crumpler seem to be good, but it's difficult to tell what size they actually are from the pic, and I don't want to be lumping around a massive bag for the minimum of kit I intend to carry.

I don't think your kit is the problem. It's the lunchbox and flask. Anyway, as a starter for 10 I'll throw the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW into the ring. It's currently £70 in Jessops, but has been known to be available for less elsewhere from time to time.

20110128_105818_1115.JPG

It has two side pockets for water bottles (or small flasks) and a largeish pocket on the back which would take lunch, but not a lunch BOX. It has an integrated all weather cover for rain protection. It is my favourite bag of several I own.

I use a Lowepro Rover AWII that is excellent for what you ask. It had a lower padded camera compartment with a top section that has a small amount of space - it can't take all the kit I would like to take for a full day in the mountains, but lunch & a waterproof is no problem. It can carry a tripod and It has an all-weather cover as well though it would struggle to do both at the same time.

Mike

I have the Kata 3in1 - 30 bag. Kata do different sizes for your needs. I bought this as a replacment for my lowepro slingshot as the zipper broke on that. The Kata can be used as a normal rucksack or by the disconnection and reconnection of the strap+clip can be a sling bag too. It has enough room for an attached 5d+grip and 70-200 and room for a flash and 2-3 extra lenses. The top of the bag has a personal section for you extras, can include a lunchbox /filters/batteries etc etc. It has a water proof cover that you can place over the bag when it rains and there are 2 extra pockets on the sides for additional filters flash cards etc.

The bag cost me around the £70-£75 mark but the class 30 bag is the largest of all. They do smaller bags and obviously the price will be lower for them.

hope this helps a little.

Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Flipside 400, but it's a bit over my budget, so I'll take a look at the Kata Range.

Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Flipside 400, but it's a bit over my budget, so I'll take a look at the Kata Range.
Kata aren't cheap, but sometimes you can find a good offer. They're my preference for a backpack. If I didn't already have what I need, I'd also consider the Tamrac Evolution series ... worth a look.

Back