Recommendations for a photo printer for MONOCHROME

Edit My Images
No
Nothing bigger than A3 (A4 would do), and I'd prefer it not to cost any more than £350.

Any thoughts? Is it even a possibility?

I would guess most colour printers can also print in monochrome

Last edited:
I would guess most colour printers can also print in monochrome

Most colour printers do poorly with monochrome prints as they try to create the image by mixing colours. These printers usually create in image with a colour cast.
To get the best monochrome prints you need a printer with various grey inks. My printer has black, light grey and light light grey and produces great black and white images, but it is a fair bit over the OPs budget.

Whilst most photo printers can print in monochrome, many produce sub optimal results ime. The ones that produce the best results tend to have two blacks, a so called photo black, and a matt black. This is a really good article albeit slightly out of date http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/is-your-printer-ok-for-black-and-white-photography/

Unfortunately, printers that produce good mono prints tend to be outside the OPs budget.

The Canon Pro 100s has black, grey and light grey cartridges and from the small number of B&W prints I have made, there is no apparent colour cast - I'm very pleased with it - until it's time to order a new set of cartridges.

For my home use, it's a great printer, a big improvement on the previous Canon 1400 printer.

Chris

Whilst most photo printers can print in monochrome, many produce sub optimal results ime. The ones that produce the best results tend to have two blacks, a so called photo black, and a matt black. This is a really good article albeit slightly out of date http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/is-your-printer-ok-for-black-and-white-photography/

Unfortunately, printers that produce good mono prints tend to be outside the OPs budget.

The Matt black and the photo black don't really have anything to do with the quality of a monochrome image though. The printer will only use one of the blacks depending on the media. In fact on the Epson printer I have you can only have one of the Blacks installed at a time.

The Matt black and the photo black don't really have anything to do with the quality of a monochrome image though. The printer will only use one of the blacks depending on the media. In fact on the Epson printer I have you can only have one of the Blacks installed at a time.
Well they do in as much matching ink to the media is important and those printers that only have one black ink, tend to produce poor mono prints. My Epson has two installed always fwiw.

The Canon Pro 100s has black, grey and light grey cartridges and from the small number of B&W prints I have made, there is no apparent colour cast - I'm very pleased with it - until it's time to order a new set of cartridges.

For my home use, it's a great printer, a big improvement on the previous Canon 1400 printer.

Chris

Thanks, that looks interesting. And it's almost within range of the budget! I shall investigate ......

cheers

Neil

Back