Recommendations for cheap Gimbal head?

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking a gimbal head for using my D810 and Tamron 150-600.
It'll not be used very often so don't want to spend much.
I've a Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod to use it on.
Can anyone recommend one?

Manfrotto 393 is a great start and good value for money

+1

Of the simplest possible construction,
nothing can go wrong with this unit. I
have one that I use only with the 300
ƒ2.8 for concerts shoot on monopod.

I have one very similar to the one on that eBay link. Very good. Holds my sigma 150-600 and d750 solid

I have the Beike (for use with my 500 f/4) and find it excellent. I swapped from the 393 as I found it very heavy and awkward to attach the lens to, plus I kept trapping my fingers in it.

I've got a lensmaster as well, excellent value for money. I normally hand hold so don't use it much but I have a 500mm f4 and it copes well with that.

Gyrob on here knows a thing or 2 about the brand [emoji6]

Another vote for the 393, does all I need it to for those rare occasions using it.

It could be me but the ebay one doesn't look a true 90 degrees(might just be the photo).
The Lensmaster does look the part, but slightly expensive for a couple of occasional uses a year.
The Manfrotto does look basic, but functional.

Lensmaster for me too, although the Bieke is fine.

Last edited:
My Benro GH1 has always served me well, although I would like to switch to something that isn't a side-mount. Also not as cheap as the Bieke suggestion.

Last edited:
I've got a lensmaster, sound with 500 f4 and full frame gear, I'm at a loss what paying more for one would achieve?

A side mount gimbal is cheaper and always places the center of mass at the pivot point vertically (very good), but unless your lens foot is the right height it will place the center of mass off to the side of the tripod (potentially VERY bad).

The best gimbals are "bottom mount" and have full height adjustability. The LensMaster doesn't have height adjustability. The 393 has "some" height adjustability, but it might not be ideal... and I think it's overpriced. Cheaper ones use UHMW bushings, and the best use needle bearings... but I think that's a very minor concern. More important IMO is the smoothness of drag/tension that can be applied.

Some complain that the Beike always has some drag/resistance, but IMO that is a good thing... a gimbal *should* have some drag applied, part of it's job is to eliminate some of the jerkiness at the controlling end (you). I've seen the Beike, but never used one or taken one apart to say exactly how well it's made/works. But if "cheap" is a main concern, I would buy one.

I've used Wimberley, and while very good, they're like everything else w/ photography...exponentially more expensive for small improvements. I also use a Benro GH2 for many years w/o many complaints... but I did have to disassemble it and fine tune the panning drag mechanism to my liking.

Now I don't use gimbals at all... I use UniqBall heads instead. But they are *not* gimbal heads, and they also cost a fair bit.

Last edited:
Back