Beginner Recommendations for Nikon zoom lens

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Im hoping to treat myself to a new/used lens this Christmas and totally lost with the sheer amount of options.
I need something in the range between 18 and 300, so any variations of 18-200, 18-270, 18-105, 50-200, 70-300 whatever.
My daily lens is a Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4 on crop sensor so im not looking to replace this. My next option is my 300mm F4 prime which is too big to travel with.
Im looking for a nice walkabout lens that will bridge the gap between.
Ideally F2.8 but I know they are pricey.
I have up to £300 to spend.
Can anyone recommend a lens that they have experience of using, or from what they have read off review sites.

My gut tells me to go for a big old used Nikon 80-200 F2.8 but they are selling for big prices.
Nikon 70-210 F4-5.6 looks a good option and cheap, and will autofocus on my D7200 I believe but might be too slow.

Other offerings from Sigma, Tamron have reasonable lenses but im just not sure if they will be quick enough for what I want. I will probably mainly use it for city breaks and a bit of landscape, but also some aviation and basic low level motorsport.
Thanks for any help.

I've had the 70-210 - I still have it but mines the constant F4. AF is slow and noisy and centre to edge sharpness isn't up there with newer lenses but it's light and cheap and using on a crop camera will be fine as the softer sides will be cropped out as it's designed for 35mm film (full frame sensor size) so a probably good bet. Center sharpness is top drawer as is colour/contrast rendition

I've got the Tamron 18-200 3.5/6.3 on my D3300, it's used mainly as my walkaround lens to be honest but I can't fault it, great build quality.

I have the 80-200 2.8, it's a bit of a beast to carry around on holiday :)

The 55-200 4-5.6 VRII is a pretty good lens for crop, though I've not used since I acquired the 80-200. I mainly use a D600 nowadays.

Jason, If you ever get up towards Newcastle, you are welcome to have a play with my 70-200 2.8 and 70-210 4-5.6 AFD. Might help the decision process.

Many thanks to all that have posted. Got some decision making to do.
Thanks Graham, Im only down in Boro so might take you up on that offer.

Whats your opinion of the 70-210 Graham? I think it will autofocus on my D7200 which is a bonus.

I would agree regarding the 70-210mm f/4, cracking lens and I think I have had 3 of them in the past. Loved them on my D700.. It will autofocus on the D7200 no problem. Mine were actually fine wide open and gave a decent amount of separation at f/4.

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

The original 80-200mm f2.8 AF and AF-D can be had for around your budget and are very good even wide open even on my D810. AF is not as quick as the modern AF-S equivalents or the later twin ring models but I've had no issues using it for moving subjects. It's actually my most frequently used lens.

It is fairly big and weighty, but is actually a fair bit lighter than the newer 70-200 f2.8's.

Whats your opinion of the 70-210 Graham? I think it will autofocus on my D7200 which is a bonus.

Sorry, I didn't spot this earlier. Just to be clear, my 70-210 is the variable aperture D version like this one.

https://kenrockwell.com/nikon/7021056.htm

I only mention it because I think a few people on the thread are also referring to the constant f/4 version which I have no experience of.

I really like my 70-210. I really only bought if as the 70-200 can be a bit of a pain to carry around so it's nice to have a lighter option. At some point I might well swap them both for a 70-200 f/4 but for now I'm quite enjoying have the 70-210 option. I'm not too nerdy these days when it comes to assessing just how good a lens is but it all looks pretty good to me. It's built really well but isn't too heavy. I don't love the push-pull zoom but it's really just that I'm not used to it. Focus is quite fast. Certainly fast enough if not up to 70-200 levels. But you do forget that the old screw drive lenses do make a bit of noise when focusing. Overall I'm pretty happy with it and these days they cost about £100 which is hard to argue with. As I say, drop me a line if you want to try either of them out.

I was choosing between the 70-210 D lens F4-5.6 and 70-210 fixed F4?
However, just found a 80-200 F2.8 FOR £140. It has a temperamental Autofocus switch but that doesn't bother me. So ive bought it. Fingers crossed its not "too good to be true".

Last edited:
However, just found a 80-200 F2.8 FOR £140. It has a temperamental Autofocus switch but that doesn't bother me. So ive bought it. Fingers crossed its not "too good to be true".

Cool. Which version is it? Not that there are any bad ones, just curiosity! Think the there was a push/pull version, followed by a rotating zoom D version and then an AF-S version. Would be great to hear how you get on.

I almost bought that one on Facebook !!

Let us know how it is.

If it needs a service - I’d recommend Alan Marlow - cam-rep.co.uk

Last edited:
Thanks. The guy was super helpful negotiating postage in with the deal. He took photos of it packaged up and posted this morning.

Back