Recommendations for two lenses please.

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
I will be looking to buy a couple of lenses in the not to distant future, so what I'm looking for is a great portrait lens, and a great macro lens, I'm' a Nikon user so would really prefer to stick to Nikon glass unless there is something really outstanding out there in the 3rd party stakes, budget would be about £500ish for each one, so over to you for recommendations, reviews, and if you can post images that would be brilliant, many thanks (y)

With the right lens you could kill 2 birds with one stone - the Tamron 90mm springs to mind as it's also had a good rep for portrait work (y)

Sigma 105mm Macro s very recommended :) its 200 quid

Any macro lens is good. No reason to stick to Nikon glass. All 3rd parties lenses (Tamron and Tokina certainly) beats Nikon / Canon here (ie Tokina 100mm, Sigma 150mm, Tamron 90mm).

The Tamron 90mm will also double as an excellent portrait lens. The Sigma 70mm is a good length (this lens is a razor sharpness wise) but the bokeh is a bit choppy for my liking.

Good portrait lens? Nikon 100mm f/2.8 Series E (£50) or the Nikkor 105mm f/2.5 (£100). Both manual focus, but you'll probably MF anyway for critical sharpness?

Or the Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 or f/1.4. Or go nuts and buy a Zeiss 100mm f/2 Planar (that'll blow your budget!)

With the right lens you could kill 2 birds with one stone - the Tamron 90mm springs to mind as it's also had a good rep for portrait work (y)

Yes looked at that one but the focusing is not internal which tends to put me off as not so good for shooting insects, but thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Generally with macro lens extension doesn't matter so much as you tend to focus by moving back and forth rather than adjust the lens.

Thanks very much for the feedback, I'm now looking at the Nikon 1.8 85mm for portraits, and the Nikon 105mm vr micro for macro, is this one better than the tamron 90mm the sigma 150mm or the tokina 100mm, for macro shots what are your opinions ?

What camera are you using, and what do you plan to shoot for macro?

The Sigma 150 macro is an HSM lens, which means it has an internal motor and will auto-focus on the smaller Nikons (D40, D40x, D60), and you can get it for a good bundle under £400; but this may be a bit too long for a portrail lens.

The Nikon AF-S 60 macro is superb for both macro and portriats (if you're using a DX body ... i.e. anything other than the D3); but if you plan to shoot bugs and critters in macro then this may be too short!

So, knowing a bit more of what you plan to shoot will help a lot.

That said, the 85mm f1.8 is excellent for portraits.

What camera are you using, and what do you plan to shoot for macro?

The Sigma 150 macro is an HSM lens, which means it has an internal motor and will auto-focus on the smaller Nikons (D40, D40x, D60), and you can get it for a good bundle under £400; but this may be a bit too long for a portrail lens.

The Nikon AF-S 60 macro is superb for both macro and portriats (if you're using a DX body ... i.e. anything other than the D3); but if you plan to shoot bugs and critters in macro then this may be too short!

So, knowing a bit more of what you plan to shoot will help a lot.

That said, the 85mm f1.8 is excellent for portraits.

Camera would be a D300 or D80, and yes i would want to shoot bugs and get some excellent detail from them, of course it would be used for other things flowers etc, but i think mainly bugs (y)

The Sigma 150mm is very good for bugs:

2465431932_24f8e3793a_o.jpg

2464678079_c24e6dc53a_o.jpg

2607380869_3bb183c2c7_o.jpg

2607093506_b057ac6b21_o.jpg

2608143824_018a880b6a_o.jpg

but the Tokina 100mm macro is also very good too:

2542114614_e3c0e5741b_o.jpg

2541536035_42cf1898d4_o.jpg

2542116655_9c42d671de_o.jpg

How close you get is mainly down to your field craft not the lens IMHO.

I've done this with a Nikkor 105mm VR:

291649546_d026728825_o.jpg

Working distance is useful for sure, but how you approach your subjects is much more important. Do not under estimate how useful the tripod collar on the Sigma 150mm is - being able to go easily from landscape to portrait orientation is very useful.

HTH

I've got the Nikon 105 VR. Can't fault it at all other than it may be a bit too sharp for portraiture. Used it on both the D80 and D300. Superb lens. Got mine from Kerso.

Broken_nose.jpg
[/IMG]

Got mine from Kerso.

He seems quite pricey for Nikon stuff?

I've had a look at his prices, but I get the feeling he's mainly into Canon gear, and doesn't seem to offer a competitive Nikon prices.

Can I ask how much you paid?

With the D300 & D80 any of the common macro lenses will autofocus. Also, as has been said, any of the macro lenses are great and very sharp for other uses too.

For bugs, I'd say go with the Sigma 150 or 180, though there are two major differences between the two besides the price. The 150 is an f2.8 while the 180 is f3.5; the other factor is that I've found I cannot hand-hold the 180!

I would also tell you to look at the Nikon 200 f4, but that is way too expensive at close to £900; but what a lens that is.

If you opt to buy through Kerso, and a good way to buy I'd say, you could get yourself the Sigma 150 and a few extension tubes.

As for portraits, I'd say give the 85 f1.8 prime a serious look. It's simply fantastic.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, and some fantastic pics too, i think i will go for the Nikon 105 vr and the 2.8 85mm, just really suffering lens lust at the moment :D i think i agree about kerso being a bit pricey for Nikon gear, seems to lean more for Canon i would say.

Generally with macro lens extension doesn't matter so much as you tend to focus by moving back and forth rather than adjust the lens.

Spot on the 105 is fantastic for both your needs(y)

Back