Recommendations to replace the Sigma 17-50mm

Name
Damian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

currently have the Sigma 17-50mm F2.8. Great lens for the price point and it has served me very well as my main lens. However I will be doing more magazine work soon and there are little points which it falls short on and I don't wait that causing issues. For example at 17mm it can get quite soft on the edges and if you were photographing a car you would need to focus the wheel rather than the head light otherwise the drop off can be quite dramatic. It can also be a little slow to focus.

I have been looking at the Nikon 24-70 but currently put off by the price and its overall size. The Tamaron 24-70mm seems better for the price but both aren't the focal length I really want, but respectively good upgrades?

To summarise:
Looking for a lens around 17-50 focal length
Needs to be fast in focus and F stop
Pin sharp low chromatic aberrations as I mainly shoot shiny stuff.
Max price ideally £1000
Not too big

What would everyone recommend?

17-55 is a DX lens ... is that what you need?

Ordered it from wex, tried it today and it is no better so that will be going back ha. What is next?

I'm surprised, test charts show its definitely better at the edges. Think you're out of luck except for one more option, tamron 17-50mm, but I don't think it will be any better than the nikkor.

Sigma 18-35mm is a good lens... But not 50mm.

Last edited:
I would have a look at the Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 if you want a low f stop and great quality, not small but a cracking lens, if you need longer also have a look at the Sigma 50-100mm 1.8. both are crop lenses

I'm surprised, test charts show its definitely better at the edges. Think you're out of luck except for one more option, tamron 17-50mm, but I don't think it will be any better than the nikkor.

Sigma 18-35mm is a good lens... But not 50mm.

It might be but for the £400 it cost it is heavy, felt old and didn't nail the focus as quick as the sigma. Took a 3 shot burst to get the best shot. The sigma could nail it on the first try.

Downside is I am loosing the full range the 17-55 offers.

I was really hoping it would just be bam. Sharp focus and quick, like the 70-200.

It might be but for the £400 it cost it is heavy, felt old and didn't nail the focus as quick as the sigma. Took a 3 shot burst to get the best shot. The sigma could nail it on the first try.

Downside is I am loosing the full range the 17-55 offers.

I was really hoping it would just be bam. Sharp focus and quick, like the 70-200.

Maybe worth trying another? Perhaps it was faulty.

I have the older Tamron 17-50 non vc and this is a very sharp lens from the use I have had.

I had a 28-75 which even after it had been to Tamron was back focusing.

See if you can get hold of the tamron 17-50 to try, you can get the non vc used but I think the quality is a bit hit and miss.

Thanks all for the advice. I think since I already have the sigma, there isn't a clear night and day lens that could replace it. Would appear I need to change focal range to 24-70. Just hate the idea of spending a grand on a lens hurts the stomach.

Is the Nikon 16-80mm too slow at f/2.8-4 then because I had both on the D500 and it's a lot better than the Sigma. You also get a little extra focal length at both ends which would be a bonus I would have thought.

I recently sold mine on Ebay for £380 so a lot less than a grand.

Last edited:
Nikkor 17-55m has always been the king of the mid range zooms.
Expensive new but a real bargain at used prices.
Sharp, contrasty & the blazing fast AF of the Nikkor Pro zooms.
i tried a couple of Tamrons first. Second one was OK but focus was slooowww.

Thanks all for the advice. I think since I already have the sigma, there isn't a clear night and day lens that could replace it. Would appear I need to change focal range to 24-70. Just hate the idea of spending a grand on a lens hurts the stomach.
I can understand that but if it's a tool you need to generate income professionally at some point it should pay for itself ?

Back