Recording to DVD, Region ?

Rocket

CTID
Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi. I have a friend that wants to record some stuff for his grandchildren who live in Australia.
My idea was to record from DV tape to DVD. Now i know the region is different, but is it possible that a DVD will play on a Australian Computer, i thought that all PCs uses the same format.

This would have been so easy a few yrs ago as i had a software set up to record to multi region, but its all been lost....

Home made dvds are not region specific, that's something put in by movie companies to protect broadcast rights.

He will need to turn the DVD player upside down though or it won't play

Something I had to think about the other week...shot a wedding and they had the video done too, and wanted to take a copy to Oz to show family there. It worked fine as far as I know! (They haven't been in touch to say it didn't anyway!) :)

Thanks for the replies..

When i have recorded home movies to DVD sent them to the states, they won't play on there machines, we are Pal (region2), they are NTSC (region 1) . Australia machines play region 4 I think.So i wondered if this was the same for there computers.......

Am I right if i say recording too-from the computer drive will make the finished dvd an all region, there for should play on all machines....

Again there's no such thing a 'region' for home made dvds in the way you're thinking of, but... PAL/NTSC is a broadcast standard which will make a difference. Your American friends should be able to play the dvds on their computer quite happily. Check with your software though as you might be able to actually record in ntsc format for them to watch on their tv set.

Hi. I have a friend that wants to record some stuff for his grandchildren who live in Australia.
My idea was to record from DV tape to DVD. Now i know the region is different, but is it possible that a DVD will play on a Australian Computer, i thought that all PCs uses the same format.

This would have been so easy a few yrs ago as i had a software set up to record to multi region, but its all been lost....

Save the finished files as avi files and stick them on a memory card with VLC player install exe Job done ;) or even upload them to youtube and keep the files private I think you can give access to your files to 25 people

Save the finished files as avi files and stick them on a memory card with VLC player install exe Job done ;) or even upload them to youtube and keep the files private I think you can give access to your files to 25 people

Another good method :)

AVI files are huge. 1 hour = 10 Gb. Ok for very short movies though.
All DVDs will play worldwide on PCs, but some will need to be specific formats to play on their TV. NTSC/SECAM etc.

1 hour = 10 gig? what program are you using to proccess the files lol a 3 hour film in Vob format is only about 7 gig tops.

When I 'ahem' download movies in avi format, they usually come in at around 700Mb - 10 gig would be Blu Ray quality!!??

If it's any help the Aussie standard is PAL

For DVD, you need mpeg2 files, if the dvd plays here, it will play in Aus.

AVI files are huge. 1 hour = 10 Gb. Ok for very short movies though.
All DVDs will play worldwide on PCs, but some will need to be specific formats to play on their TV. NTSC/SECAM etc.

That is for the full DV quality AVI....you can encode it with DivX or Xvid or similar and get an unnoticable drop in quality to around 700mb :)

Back