Red Cuillin 75 sec exposure

Name
Marie
Edit My Images
No
One from the archives, Jan 09 to be precise.
I used the 10 stop filter to get this in the middle of the day, it was a new purchase and I wanted to try it out. The result was a 75 second exposure.
I'm posting it as an example of what you can do with 10 stops in the daytime (I think I also had a 2 stop nd grad on the sky if I remember correctly).

3223873450_fb5d1976c1.jpg

Larger version here:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3489/3223873450_fb5d1976c1_b.jpg

... and a very good example of the use of a 10 stopper in the daytime it is too. I'd suggest to those looking at this thread that you click on teh 'larger image' link - it's worth it.

Love it :)

great shot!!!! (y)

Wow, that's a truly awesome shot! The colours, the exposure, and the sharpness are all mind-blowing! It looks computer generated, it's almost too perfect! (y)

... and a very good example of the use of a 10 stopper in the daytime it is too. I'd suggest to those looking at this thread that you click on teh 'larger image' link - it's worth it.

great shot!!!! (y)

Wow..........Indeed click the link..:)

Two things:

1. I wish I lived on Skye.
2. I wish I lived on Skye.

Please, please everyone view this large. It's a stunning shot. I wish I had taken it.

Thanks guys.
I have this as a large canvas on my wall courtesy of Lee at Togsprint who did a fantastic job of keeping all the detail. Cheers Lee (y)

It's pictures like this that: a) make me want to throw my own camera in the bin; b) make me unwilling to post my own stuff; c) make me want to learn more.

All this and more.

Brilliant.

that is absolutely stunning, the colours look great, and the snow just makes it extra special, (y)

Im heading up to Skye tomorrow for 4 nights and cannot wait, i just hope the weather is nice for us.

Chris

It's pictures like this that: a) make me want to throw my own camera in the bin; b) make me unwilling to post my own stuff; c) make me want to learn more.

All this and more.

Brilliant.

Go for option c, it works for me ;)

that is absolutely stunning, the colours look great, and the snow just makes it extra special, (y)

Im heading up to Skye tomorrow for 4 nights and cannot wait, i just hope the weather is nice for us.

Chris

Thanks for commenting.
The weather isnt great at the moment I'm afraid, hopefully it will improve for you though :)

Wow, that's a truly awesome shot! The colours, the exposure, and the sharpness are all mind-blowing! It looks computer generated, it's almost too perfect! (y)

Nearly missed your post Chris, thanks for commenting.

Obviously its not computer generated, it was down to me putting into practice all that I'd learned combined with lots and lots of luck ;):D
I think the first couple of attempts were too dark and I had to keep increasing the bulb exposure until I got this. Even then it was still a tad underexposed and needed to go up a bit in pp.
I now know a bit more about exp times and stuff.

That's just crazy. Thanks for increasing my lust to get up to Skye

Beautiful, just beautiful. (y) If I had a very slightly picky comment it would be that the cloud top right is just a tad too blurry. But that's being absurdly picky. Love it.

Stunning, simply stunning. Absolutely love it. When was it taken? (Time of day and year)...

Gary.
EDIT: Ignore me, I see :D

Beautiful, just beautiful. (y) If I had a very slightly picky comment it would be that the cloud top right is just a tad too blurry. But that's being absurdly picky. Love it.

Thanks for commenting (y)

Stunning, simply stunning. Absolutely love it. When was it taken? (Time of day and year)...

Gary.
EDIT: Ignore me, I see :D

Cheers Gary, and consider yourself ignored :D

I love this picture - but how would it have looked with just a skylight or polarizer?

Not being challenging would just like to know how a 10 stop nd filter has affected the image?

would just like to know how a 10 stop nd filter has affected the image?

It's allowed the movement of the clouds to be captured. If just a polariser was used, you wouldn't be able to have a 75 second exposure (as this would overexpose hugely), so the clouds would have been completely static.

I'm not sure what it is in the foreground, but if that's water too, again it wouldn't be 'dreamy' without the long exposure.

As I said before, awesome image (y)

one word, magical (y)

Thank you

I love this picture - but how would it have looked with just a skylight or polarizer?

Not being challenging would just like to know how a 10 stop nd filter has affected the image?

As Chris said, cloud movement. It also captured the light movement across the top of the hills, and the river in the f/g looks like satin due to the long exposure.
It was just an experiment that happened to work well I think :)

It's allowed the movement of the clouds to be captured. If just a polariser was used, you wouldn't be able to have a 75 second exposure (as this would overexpose hugely), so the clouds would have been completely static.

I'm not sure what it is in the foreground, but if that's water too, again it wouldn't be 'dreamy' without the long exposure.

As I said before, awesome image (y)

Its a river in the f/g ;)

You are right.
Very impressive in the large size.
Well done to the photographer.

Impressive image and fantastic in the large version (y)

love it loads - superb shot! what spot was this taken from? we're up that way in spetember :)

post more shots like this :)

drew

Last edited:
You are right.
Very impressive in the large size.
Well done to the photographer.

Impressive image and fantastic in the large version (y)

Stunning!!

Lovely shot(y)

What a stunning image, i don't think i could pick fault with anything even if i wanted to.

love it loads - superb shot! what spot was this taken from? we're up that way in spetember :)

post more shots like this :)

drew

Thanks folks.

Drew, it was shot near Sligachan

Thank you

As Chris said, cloud movement. It also captured the light movement across the top of the hills, and the river in the f/g looks like satin due to the long exposure.
It was just an experiment that happened to work well I think :)

Its a river in the f/g ;)

Yep definitely worked well as it is a really lovely image.

Thanks for the explanation - I knew about affect of long exposure on water but hadn't thought about the play of light on the hills and the clouds. Brilliant!

Beautiful part of the world - well represented here.

As a newbie, please shot me down, is this with the ND filters? just because Ive been looking at getting a few filters for mine just to experiment with and its nice to see what can actually be achieved

As a newbie, please shot me down, is this with the ND filters? just because Ive been looking at getting a few filters for mine just to experiment with and its nice to see what can actually be achieved

An ND 10 stop. They are very good fun, and can produce some excellent results as is superbly shown here.

Gary.

Hi, beautiful shot CT.

75 seconds is a long time. Could you tell us what ISO setting you used and whether you had to use noise reduction? Just wondered because I've had varied results on long exposures and it seems to me that a longer exposure and lower ISO gives much better results than the other way around. Sorry if that's an obvious statement to the more experienced of you.

Cheers,

Mark.

There are not many images that make my jaw drop, but that one truly did. Fantastic image.

Back