Red Fox in my yard

sk66

Advertiser
Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Been having very little luck using the Z9's auto capture... one night it filled the cards and drained the battery just taking pictures of image noise (apparently) because I had it to focus on/record any motion. If I set it more restrictive than that, it takes very few pictures, and even fewer that are usable.

So I set the camera up to focus trap instead. This also results in few images being recorded, but at least they are pictures of something that moved into the zone of focus.
I don't know why the foxes keep checking out the camera... it is under camouflage that is always out there and the camera is set to silent mode; but I'll take it. Halogen painting light (frosted glass) on the ground off to the side.

Z9, 24-70/2.8 @ 42mm, exif included

_SGK0045.jpg

@Stuart Philpott here's my example!

Last edited:
Nice and dramatic lighting Steve, It carries a magenta cast which is easily sorted and I'd personally go higher with the ISO to get a faster shutter speed for more keepers.

Interesting image though, I like it

Mike

I love it Steve, I did hear you/ understand you when you explained all this too me with the swan image etc, Until your post I think all I saw was trying to create a daylight image at night, not exploring how my little lights might be used creatively image wise

so cool seeing those thoughts portrayed in a fox !!.

I'm aghast at my lack of production image wise bud, the chances I'm gifted and the lack of time to dig in and explore is haunting me right now :(

same as before buddy you me old mucker are inspiring(y)

Fox looks real lean Steven, am I reading that right?

thank you;)

Nice and dramatic lighting Steve, It carries a magenta cast which is easily sorted and I'd personally go higher with the ISO to get a faster shutter speed for more keepers.

Interesting image though, I like it

Mike
Thanks.
Definitely should have used a higher SS... I had it set to auto ISO as I set it out before sunset and bring it in after; but I overlooked the fact it would set the SS based on the focal length.

I actually created much of that color cast without noticing... here's an edit with it removed.

_SGK0045-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I love it Steve, I did hear you/ understand you when you explained all this too me with the swan image etc, Until your post I think all I saw was trying to create a daylight image at night, not exploring how my little lights might be used creatively image wise

so cool seeing those thoughts portrayed in a fox !!.

I'm aghast at my lack of production image wise bud, the chances I'm gifted and the lack of time to dig in and explore is haunting me right now :(

same as before buddy you me old mucker are inspiring(y)

Fox looks real lean Steven, am I reading that right?

thank you;)
Thanks.
It is lean, also in thin summer coat; but IDT it is unhealthy at all. We leave expired eggs out for them... it started when we treated a couple for mange.

How do you treat for mange ivermectin inject into egg?

Steve too lazy made me giggle :LOL: Agreed the edit looks much better colour wise but slightly unsure on brights or the need for brighter

. When I was making lots of fox pics under lights the hardest thing, once I'd got my head around WB was controlling the hilights. The lights seem to bounce of the white fur sommit crazy, It's real dance ( well it was for me) getting the EXP right and then maxing what I had in post
Tis really apparent to me on the cheek LHS

Still adore the image and the education(y)

How do you treat for mange ivermectin inject into egg?
Yup, boiled egg. But you have to be sure it's the fox that's going to get it because it can be bad for some other animals/pets. So we had to get them used to showing up pretty regularly, and pull the egg when they didn't.
When we wanted to treat them we had a hard time getting the ivermectin; because all of the Trumpers were taking it for covid, LOL! :rolleyes:

It's real dance ( well it was for me) getting the EXP right and then maxing what I had in post
Because my Z9 is effectively completely ISO invariant (above/below ISO 500); I just use highlight weighted metering, auto ISO, and set the minimum ISO to 500.

The cheek isn't actually clipped... it's a characteristic of frontal lighting and monotone color areas. The light fills in the shadows, and w/o shadows there is no detail/texture visible to be recorded... the finer the detail/shadow, the more likely it will be lost. You can't really tell if something that is white just recorded as white, or clipped and still recorded as white.

This is a screen grab of the raw file with the edits disabled. I have highlight warnings enabled, but there aren't any showing except those two catchlights in the eye; and the histogram doesn't quite touch the right side (well, there must be at least a few pixels over there or there wouldn't be any warnings at all).

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely to see, love a fox.

I had the same magenta thing with my foxes when they first started coming in. I was using a 150 halogen flood, which wasn't ideal. i changed it to a 20w LED and the cast improved.

Easy fix in PS though.

Lovely pictures Steve. I think I do prefer the 2nd edited one.

Well done :D

Back