Red Fox

Are these all female's? You should send these off to a wildlife magazine, if i had my video camera I would love to film them? Fantastic shots, the last shot (scuse me :exit:) of the fox yawning is a bit over sharp. Hope you didn't mind me saying.

Are these all female's? You should send these off to a wildlife magazine, if i had my video camera I would love to film them? Fantastic shots, the last shot (scuse me :exit:) of the fox yawning is a bit over sharp. Hope you didn't mind me saying.

No they are not all females there are 2 females and 2 males
the one Yawning is a boy (male)
no i dont mind you telling me you think it was a little over sharp.... i think
you are right, i like it a bit softer.... i have had an other go what do you think this time
2ep7bys.jpg

The first one has definitely been oversharpened and the second is a lot better.

I would move your name to the right of the shot as you are covering his coat now. Watermarks should be as discreet as possible.

I like it, they look cute. I have always been against fox hunting and these would make good wildlife shots in say, Countrywise magazine or something like that. Have you got any of the cubs or doesn't mother like that?

I have to disagree with that statement Louise although they are very good shots- these are clearly URBAN foxes- somewhat different in their behaviour to their county cousins, being more like scroungers than hunters and the back ground in these images would support this, dustbin etc

Being a Game Keeper I tend to know quite a bit about Foxes - I see them almost every day, sometime 3 or 4 different ones on the same area of land- I presently look after 25,000 acres :eek:

I tend to leave them be, so long as they behave :LOL: I do like to see them in the wild, a very cunning, intellegent animal and top of the food chain, expect for us humans of course

oh and for the record-( Pudding) Dog Fox = Male & Vixen =Female

Les (y)

I have to disagree with that statement Louise although they are very good shots- these are clearly URBAN foxes- somewhat different in their behaviour to their county cousins, being more like scroungers than hunters and the back ground in these images would support this, dustbin etc

Being a Game Keeper I tend to know quite a bit about Foxes - I see them almost every day, sometime 3 or 4 different ones on the same area of land- I presently look after 25,000 acres :eek:

I tend to leave them be, so long as they behave :LOL: I do like to see them in the wild, a very cunning, intellegent animal and top of the food chain, expect for us humans of course

oh and for the record-( Pudding) Dog Fox = Male & Vixen =Female

Les (y)

Sorry Les but they are NOT URBAN foxes .... they are very much Country foxes..... our yard is in the middle of nowhere we are surrounded by fields
our yard is an old army camp.... some time we even get the odd lost cow
or horse in our yard... but to be fair they do look like they are in a very urban setting...

I like it, they look cute. I have always been against fox hunting and these would make good wildlife shots in say, Countrywise magazine or something like that. Have you got any of the cubs or doesn't mother like that?
Hi yes i have got some of the cubs but they are not very good at all
from a photo quality point of view

May I ask what lens/ setting etc, you're using Wendy?

Les (y)

Ps no need- I have it

Panasonic DMC-Ga1 - f5.2 @ 1/200sec- ISO 200- 147mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew - you have done a great job with the processing on that shot.

Wendy - as for the cub shots it looks like one of them is trying to eat his sibling in number 3!

I think these are excellent shots. We have electrified our hen fence against foxes and wouldn't dream of hurting them. I always thought old army bases had a ghost or two :)

If only i could take a decent photo.... got it all except the skill :bang:

If only i could take a decent photo.... got it all except the skill :bang:

as said- you have the subjects, you have a camera- just need to practise and then practise some more for a while

Oh and then practise again, we all started somewhere Wendy (y) It will come together soon enough, Im sure of that

Les :D

wendy,

Something you could try on your next encounters is flash. A touch of fill flash will really make the colors pop and should help sharpen up the animals. I don't know what your camera's abilities are, but for me I'd under expose the background by a stop and add a little fill flash. If you don't have manual exposure mode, then you can use exposure compensation for it. Under expose the overall exposure by 1/2 - 1 stop and add fill flash at another - 1 stop. That should get you pretty close (at least for a nikon system it would).

Thanks
Rick

Thank very much... i dont know much at all about the manual setting yet
and i will try it with the flash.... do you know of a good book that could help me
with the manual setting.

A great set of images and i look forward to reading some more about your foxes.
Regards
Richard

Thank very much... i dont know much at all about the manual setting yet
and i will try it with the flash.... do you know of a good book that could help me
with the manual setting.

Pudding,

For wildlife photography I really love Moose Petersen's book 'Captured'. It isn't a book of techniques per se, but he does talk a lot of about how he goes about things.

I also follow Neil VanN's blog. He is a wedding photographer, but he knows his stuff for flash and Nikon (and canon too for that matter).

In this instance, if you're shooting in Aperture priority, set the exposure compensation to -0.5 and the flash compensation to -1 or even -1.5. Take a shot with the flash down (no flash) then take the same picture with the flash up. Try it with a teddybear in the back yard first.

Thanks,
Rick

Back