Red Grouse Locations in the Peak District

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I'm thinking of visiting the Peak District over the Bank Holiday weekend to look for Red Grouse. I've found a few places but not sure where is best to go. I would rather visit one or two locations than visit several.

The locations I've found so far are:

A57 Snake road near Glossop
Strines Moor
Langsett Reservoir
Kinder Scout
The Roaches
Higger Tor
Beely Moor
Darley Dale

I don't mind a walk or using the car as a hide. I was at Grinton Moor in Yorksire last month and the Red Grouse there were great but its a 4hr+ drive for me. I've never been to the Peak District so it would be great to see it. I would love to find some locations where there is purple flowering heather but just finding Red Grouse would be great.

If anyone could help me by offering any advice where it would be best to go it would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

Bleaklow on the snake is good and quite often you'll find them within 100mtrs of the car, Golden plover can be found on the moor too in the spring and early summer.
Alternatively Higger Tor is Fantastic for landscapes as well and is more likely to give you that purple heather you're after.

All those locations though should be ok.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I will have a look at those locations you mentioned. I think we are going to try to stay around the Bamford area on the A57 just so we don't travel too many miles between sites. I saw Golden Plover on Grinton Moor for the first time in July, they would be a welcome addition if they we find some. Landscapes is a great idea, i may bring the welding glass long for for a try at long exposures again.

Back