Red Indicator window on older cameras

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Apologies if this has been asked previously but I couldn't find it. :thinking:
On many old medium format cameras, there is a red indicator window to show you how far to wind the film etc.
I have just purchased a 6x9 folder on evilbay and I would like to know how to use the red window and if it will affect exposure of the film, as I have seen some people cover them with tape. Does it work with modern film? If it dosent, how do I know where to wind to?
Hopefully a brainbox out there will help me :)

Thanks
Nick

The exposure numbers will work fine. The exposure numbers are printed for a number of negative sizes. And they will show correctly through the window. 120 film has a light proof backing paper, so it shouldn't be necessary to cover the window - just keep it in a bag when not in use. 6x6, 6x7 & 6x9 etc cameras have the holes in slightly different places so the right numbers show through.

thanks! (y) can I give you rep on here or not? I forget between forums :p well, if I can, I'll do it now :)

Old folders can be fun, there's a few of use them from time to time :D

Watch for a sticky shutter on slower speeds, one of the more common mechanical problems.. another is leaky bellows. It's worth checking for both before loading with film for the first time.

The 6x9 markings are still printed on modern film and will align with the viewing window.

Old folders can be fun, there's a few of use them from time to time :D

Watch for a sticky shutter on slower speeds, one of the more common mechanical problems.. another is leaky bellows. It's worth checking for both before loading with film for the first time.

The 6x9 markings are still printed on modern film and will align with the viewing window.

Thankyou for the tips (y) I should be getting it tomorrow unless the postman decides to hate me :razz:

We like new toys (y) .. .. what make/model are you expecting?

An Agfa record II, in very nice condition it seems :D I've got some portra 160 ready and waiting to try it out with
and some velvia too :D

Back