Beginner Red Kite feeding stations.

Name
Roy Newport
Edit My Images
No
Could anyone tell me how close you get to see the birds coming into feed and would a 70-200 f2.8 canon on a 7d mkii get in close enough,many thanks.Roy.

I have been to both Gigrin and Llandeusant with a 7D then a 7D2 and although you might get the odd shot, especially from the Tower Hide at Gigrin, you would be better either with a 100-400 or putting a 1.4x teleconverter on your 70-200.

Last edited:
I was thinking a Nikon D800 with 36 megapixel might just get away with a 70-200mm lens and cropping. But that would not be my problem as I do have an 80-400mm lens anyway

A 70-200 will give you some opportunities at Gigrin as the Kites will come pretty close at times but there will also be some good group shots available, ideally 300mm is a minimum but I wouldn't not go just because I only had the 70-200 :)

Canon 7d mkii is a cropped sensor giving 320 mm I think.

At gigrin I'd definitely want something longer even on a cropped sensor - I generally use the longer end of my 150-500 (on a 40/50 or 70D). - you can get nice shots with a shorter lens but they won't be frame fillers of single birds. In your shoes i'd be inclined to put a 1.4 or even 2x tc on the 70-200

Gigrin is a weird place ,the action is extremely fast ,so in reality you have to be at one with your equipment ,you will certainly get some photos with the 70-200 although a t.c would help with reach I feel it would slow down a/f a bit to much ,and as you have to pay a tidy sum for the best hides it's best to be ready for it .my recommendation would be to go once on a trial basis and see how you get on then appraise the gear you will need for a further visit .

I would suggest a minimum of 400 MM. on a fast focus lens coupled with a decent tripod and gimble head as rest assured your arms get tired quickly .think of yourself as akin to a rear gunner in a WW2 bomber and there's planes coming at you from all directions .i know when I go the action lasts for about hour and a Half to two hours and that's virtual continuos shooting with a shutter count getting to around 2000 shots

You also need to be familiar with the exposure compensation on the camera as one minute they are in the sky next down at ground level. Then back up again I always find a practise with local gulls is pretty good practise for Gigrin and well worth doing

Last edited:
I've been to Llandeusant a couple of times. It's not to far from where I live. The first time I went was with my 40D and 70-200 and despite the birds being very close, they weren't close enough fir the lens.

I went back this past summer wit my 7Dmkii and 150-600 and came back with a lot more keepers.

As said previously you'll get a few shots with the 200 and it's definitely worth a visit, just to watch

I saw a kite once in London about 150m above the Bayswater Road ...

Gigrin is a weird place ,the action is extremely fast ,so in reality you have to be at one with your equipment ,you will certainly get some photos with the 70-200 although a t.c would help with reach I feel it would slow down a/f a bit to much ,and as you have to pay a tidy sum for the best hides it's best to be ready for it .my recommendation would be to go once on a trial basis and see how you get on then appraise the gear you will need for a further visit .

I would suggest a minimum of 400 MM. on a fast focus lens coupled with a decent tripod and gimble head as rest assured your arms get tired quickly .think of yourself as akin to a rear gunner in a WW2 bomber and there's planes coming at you from all directions .i know when I go the action lasts for about hour and a Half to two hours and that's virtual continuos shooting with a shutter count getting to around 2000 shots

You also need to be familiar with the exposure compensation on the camera as one minute they are in the sky next down at ground level. Then back up again I always find a practise with local gulls is pretty good practise for Gigrin and well worth doing
Thanks for the detailed description insight..... as hoping to make a trip there sometime before end of march. Also looking for somewhere to stay for 2 nights locally?

Nant yr Arian was quite a spectacle when I used to visit.

Wherever you go try to get there before the feeding time as they start gathering in the sky before then which as others have stated is quite an experience in itself.

Another vote for Nant yr Arian, if you go on the far side of the lake where the viewing area/hide is you will easily get away with your 200mm, i had my 300mm f4 and it was a bit too close, if i go again i would go to the other side and use a longer lens

Also looking for somewhere to stay for 2 nights locally?
Probably not what you're looking for but one never knows. Not next door but not miles away. What I do know is you won't be disappointed if you stay at this place!
http://www.tygwynfarm.co.uk/en/

And I don't know if it's in your plans but Elan Valley is a great place for photography. Presumably this is why you're thinking a couple of nights.

Probably not what you're looking for but one never knows. Not next door but not miles away. What I do know is you won't be disappointed if you stay at this place!
http://www.tygwynfarm.co.uk/en/

And I don't know if it's in your plans but Elan Valley is a great place for photography. Presumably this is why you're thinking a couple of nights.

Thanks for the link, will look at that :). Yes, enjoying the area as well as the Red Kites at Gigrin

you used to be able to camp at gigrin itself , or stay in the hotel at the bottom of the hill , its been a few years so i'm not certain if either are still options

Back