Wild Red Kites at Harewood

Two is the better take, I think
…but the halo on both shows you should
look for a better development strategy.

What would cause it.

It is not the web… as many say wrongly!

I would look again for the halo in LR CC to be sure… I think
it has to do with the PP and should be noticeable in LR.

Jpg compression may be guilty of some kind of artefacts but
not to generate haloing where there was none.

So what causes it? Over cropping, over sharpening?

Over cropping… cannot be.
Over sharpening… doubtfully but I don't know the effects of the
algorithms of LR that I don't use, I will make no assumptions here.

I think, and this is an assumption, it has to do with tweaking the sky
or the bird using an unrefined technique. I would need to see the
RAW file to be sure.

That's the first blue sky I've seen this year!!:eek:

Both are good, natural looking images and as folks have said, the second is the better of the two.

As for the halo, it's not particularly prevalent on my screen on either of these shots, but I find it is caused by over amplification of the shadow detail - particularly against a blue background.

As for the halo, it's not particularly prevalent on my screen on either of these shots, but I find it is caused by over amplification of the shadow detail - particularly against a blue background.
Thanks for that, I shall bear it in mind. I'm happy to see Red Kites so to get a passable image of one makes me more than happy.

Also love the second one, but both are great!

For what it's worth, when taking pics of birds in-flight, if you look at the Raw file before any processing is applied to the image, an awful lot of images have a very slight halo effect - so there's no need to get obsessed with eliminating the halo, if it's there in the first place! :)

And, on my screen, there is no halo on these images. The first image, under the wings, could be misconstrued as having a halo, yet I think that it is just the light passing through the very fine hairs on the end of the feathers.

Look forward to seeing more, as kites are one of my favourite birds to look at (y)

Thanks for the comment.
Do you get Red Kites much in your neck of the woods. They seem to be doing well up here since they were re-introduced.

Unfortunately not, no.

Saw two fly over Bewl Water, which is a couple of miles from me, last summer. One also flew over Furnace Pond just down the road, but no others to report :(

Plenty of Buzzards though!

image.jpeg Me and a pal went to Harewood last year, had a great time photographing the kites just behind the village hall/ cafe well worth a visit.

Last edited:
Back