Red Squirrel update 2

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Lots of squirrel activity today. They are now peering in the window at me again! Time to dust off the macro lens I think.:LOL:
The ones I saw today are all in peak condition & two have started moulting.
This one would be one of last years young.

Hide_twenty_march_135.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic shot, sharp, focus spot on, great wiskers. Wish I had squirrels near me

Very nice Charlie looks like you have some new friends.. lol

Regards Dave

Thanks for the comments. I was over in the woods earlier this morning & the first thing I saw was two reds in the tops of the Larch trees.
Four at the hide, one female looking very pregnant. One was so close when he dropped his tail it touched my hand.
Just hoping that when my visitors from the south are here that we still are getting so much activity/ photo opportunities.:)

Just hoping that when my visitors from the south are here that we still are getting so much activity/ photo opportunities.:)

They will be happy just to see the reds matey " if they get a photo or two all the better" But they are just looking forward to the trip and the people they will meet along the way..

Ps I will phone you this evening to see what time we can meet you

Best regards

Dave

They will be happy just to see the reds matey " if they get a photo or two all the better" But they are just looking forward to the trip and the people they will meet along the way..

Ps I will phone you this evening to see what time we can meet you

Best regards

Dave

Best get the phone charged up then.:LOL:(y)

Very nice Meester Sawman.

Should be up there at the weekend,that OK?

Great image Charlie
Nice "clean" looking too (y)

Thank you. Now no more squirrels from me for a wee while. Hopefully I will get the felling licence this week & I can get some work done in their woods.

Best of luck Charlie, I have got a new role as well,hopefully it will go well.............(y)

Best of luck Charlie, I have got a new role as well,hopefully it will go well.............(y)

Cheers, I will need it. There are some nasty 'hangers' in that wood. I had a bright spark who told me just to fell the tree they were leaning on. I am not wanting to go to the fires of hell just yet though.:LOL:

Best of luck to you in your new role.(y)

Cheers, I will need it. There are some nasty 'hangers' in that wood. I had a bright spark who told me just to fell the tree they were leaning on. I am not wanting to go to the fires of hell just yet though.:LOL:

Best of luck to you in your new role.(y)

Now I am no woodman nor forester, but that just sounds plain bloody silly..................:LOL:

Now I am no woodman nor forester, but that just sounds plain bloody silly..................:LOL:

I have know cutters who have done just that. We were doing a job near Perth & a cutter had a 'hanger' so he thought he would fell another onto it to knock it down. Tree he felled hit the hanger, bounced back & pinned him against a tree behind. He died instantly.

That picture is brilliant, love it! (y)

Such a great subject.

nice picture

Just hope the breeding programs are starting to work to get some more down here and get rid of those pesky greys :)

Thanks again folks.
When I see all the signs of squirrel eaten cones in the woods now ( three years ago I hardly ever saw any signs or squirrels) I cannot help thinking that it was lack of food which was causing problems. They have no lack now.

I am also delighted at the number of TP members who have sent me PMs of support & also the ever growing number of folk who have been able to get some pics of my wee pals.

The thing that is troubling me now is these conservationists!
Let me explain. We have had quite a lot of planting done not too far from me. The call it the Millenium forest. Almost all has been planted with hardwood. One area almost exlusively Hazel. Now when I see that I just think all they have done is provide a ready food supply which will be taken up by the very Greys that they say they do not want.
Now to my way of thinking if they had wanted a true forest then they should have been thinking along the lines of taking a crop in thinnings etc. Underplanting any cleared areas, having open spaces & even some small ponds. Not just a horrible unmanaged jumble of one species. My trees of choice would have been Pine,Larch, Birch, Hawthorn, & some Hazel. Norway Spruce is a good Red Squirrel tree too.
Sorry for the rant!

Let me explain. We have had quite a lot of planting done not too far from me. The call it the Millenium forest. Almost all has been planted with hardwood. One area almost exlusively Hazel. Now when I see that I just think all they have done is provide a ready food supply which will be taken up by the very Greys that they say they do not want.

That's occurred to me before, but I wondered if I was missing something. I'm glad someone else has pointed it out too. Beautiful photo.

Another lovely image Charlie.

I went to set a feeder up in my local woods. Found a nice location away from the dog walkers, so some peace and quite. Went up about 3 weeks ago to setup and found that the forestry commission had cleared the lot, about 10 arces and they're still not finished.

I've had a chat with them and found out what they are clearing in total and have a look at what I can do when they're finished.
So fingers crossed.

That's occurred to me before, but I wondered if I was missing something. I'm glad someone else has pointed it out too. Beautiful photo.

Nothing to do with squirrels but a wee story about a learned conservation officer.
I had to fence & replant an area of woodland on a local nature reserve back in the 80s. Told said doc that the area would need to be deer fenced as we had quite a number of Roe about. Now this clever fellow knew more than me, well he had read more books. He told me to plant the new trees closer together & that way "the deer will not take them all" We had some very well fed deer for a while.:LOL: They like me,had not read the same book as the doc.:D

Another lovely image Charlie.

I went to set a feeder up in my local woods. Found a nice location away from the dog walkers, so some peace and quite. Went up about 3 weeks ago to setup and found that the forestry commission had cleared the lot, about 10 arces and they're still not finished.

I've had a chat with them and found out what they are clearing in total and have a look at what I can do when they're finished.
So fingers crossed.

Get to know the beat foresters. They may well point you to an area where the trees will not be harvested. They might even let you set up a permenant hide. Has happened down this way. Give them a few pics by way of thanks too.

Back