Red Squirrel?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Where is the best place to photograph Red Squirrels local to me midlands.

It depends where you are in Worcestershire you could be about midway between two areas in England with red squirrels.

One is, as Gavin has said, Brownsea Island. The other is Formby north of Liverpool.

The are other areas in England but these are further north - mainly in Cumbria.

Dave

I would not bother with Brownsea Island
we went 2 years ago while we was staying nearby
It was very busy and did not see any red squirrels only a poster of one !
Maybe we was unlucky but I certainly would not travel down there just to go to Brownsea
As already said I would look at Cumbria
Years ago we stayed at a B&B that had them in the garden , we want to go back but I cant remember the name of the place!

I went to Brownsea Island last summer and saw one there...but it was only the one.

Bit of a drive but Wensleydale around the Hawes area.

another vote for Brownsea Island-you need to sit and wait- patience is the key, not stomping around like a baby elephant with a point and shoot, that will get you no sightings at all

one I shot on Brownsea

DSC02490 by Les Moxon Photography, on Flickr

Or try around the Keswick area in the Lake District - Dodd Wood, there is an RSPB feeding station there and plenty of Red Squirrels too, so long as youre prepared to sit and be quiet- drive along the A591 out of Keswick keep the Lake on your left, the wood is about 2 miles on your right - plenty of parking pay and display though :(

good luck

Les (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
For Brownsea I would get the first ferry across and then you have the chance of getting some great shots before the grounds appear.

Through the week is also better as they have less visitors

Hi
Went to Brownsea in autumn 2011, couldn't move for reds the minute I got off the ferry, the Wildlife Trust section of the island is good too. Just got back from the Lakes and saw quite a few in Dodd Wood from where the Osprey viewing is hosted, if you visit later, after 5, then most of the public have gone. We were probably no more than 5m from them. I could easily have moved closer but I was starving and needed food.... rumbling tummy etc.
BB

It depends where you are in Worcestershire you could be about midway between two areas in England with red squirrels.

One is, as Gavin has said, Brownsea Island. The other is Formby north of Liverpool.

The are other areas in England but these are further north - mainly in Cumbria.

Dave

Formby is probably worth a visit. It can be quite at times and with patience sightings are not to hard to come by

another vote for Brownsea Island-you need to sit and wait- patience is the key, not stomping around like a baby elephant with a point and shoot, that will get you no sightings at all

one I shot on Brownsea

DSC02490 by Les Moxon Photography, on Flickr

Or try around the Keswick area in the Lake District - Dodd Wood, there is an RSPB feeding station there and plenty of Red Squirrels too, so long as youre prepared to sit and be quiet- drive along the A591 out of Keswick keep the Lake on your left, the wood is about 2 miles on your right - plenty of parking pay and display though :(

good luck

Les (y)

This is a really good image..
Northumberland also a great place, Ive only seen 3 greys in my life, reds half a mile from me..

They are not exactly 'wild', ok, but if you want a nice red squirrel fix take your camera down to the British Wildlife Centre near Gatwick. The only reds I have seen in the wild were in Alnwick, Northumberland......

There's a few spots in Cumbria that have them, this is out of my partners bedroom window :)

BRzrNWtCcAALvXN.jpg

...and out of the kitchen window with an iPhone!

BPdqEj6CMAUqaS_.jpg

Back