Red

Yes, red is a strong color. But her eyes dominate the picture. Just lovely, Ross.

Chuck

Cracking composition & lighting. Don't know if it is the skin softening but her eyes don't look sharp....I like sharp eyes..............

... the skin softening is a bit to heavy and has a waxy look to it...but I don't shoot this type of stuff so maybe it's the norm. ?! Sorry... First thing that struck me as 'unreal'.

Quite correct! There were large areas of bright highlights on the skin, and it was a bit of work to get rid of them by evening out the skin tone - and as a result, I had to go further than I would normally like.

her eyes don't look sharp....I like sharp eyes..............

Again, probably correct! For the print version I made a point of sharpening the eyes by using the "high pass" method of sharpening, which actually worked quite well - although there is no excuse for not having them sharp in the first place, particularly under controlled conditions.

Now that is very nice indeed, the red works so well with the models skin tones.

Catchlights work for me too! ;)

Lovely image nothing to add really to what you have already said in your replies
I'm sure the model and other folk will like it just as much as I do.

Hi. The red is simply stunning. Beautiful colour layering and texture. The pose and the expression are also beyond criticism . However, for me, and this is just my opinion, the skin is almost cartoonish. I'm a big natural skin fan so any heavy handed manipulation really turns me off. Also did you 'liquify' the eyes?

Again, this is just my personal taste. Outside of those things it is a wonderful capture. Well done. :clap:

Ross, did you use frequency separation to smooth out the skin? Something new I learned about recently and I'm interested whether anyone uses it

Great image, as always :)

Powerful image but the retouching ruins it. It's way over the top, and inconsistent. It's ruining an otherwise superb image. It could be so much more than it is.

Last edited:
Having seen some stunning images of yours with the same model I agree that the post processing is over the top. Would love to see same image with no or much less skin smoothing.

This could be a stunning image.

Nice image. Maybe it's just me but in my opinion, the skin softening is a bit to heavy and has a waxy look to it...but I don't shoot this type of stuff so maybe it's the norm. ?! Sorry... First thing that struck me as 'unreal'.

I have to agree with Bethy a touch too much PP for my liking- still could be quite a striking shot though, with less PP

Les

When I originally processed this image, I was not aware of the "frequency separation" technique. So I have attempted to re-work it from the original Raw file. I have cloned in some red material here and there, so it is not exactly the same image.

Red Shawl NEW.jpg

Not sure, but to me that looks over sharpened and you've got an orange peel effect on her skin. Or it's just very high res with lots of detail?

Last edited:
Getting better, yes. I prefer that last iteration than the first one, and it's a million miles away from the retouching in the OP, which was, compared to this last attempt, quite tragic in comparison... even the OP can surely see that. It does look over sharpened though... her pores stand out a LOT... that's usually a sharpening issue.

Did it need retouching at all though?

Last edited:
Back