Reducing images

Photoshop has "Save For Web" under the "File-Save" menu. They moved it in the latest version of CC to File-Export-Save For Web (Legacy). In there, you can define the px size.

Screenshot 2023-04-11 224119.png

If you have Adobe Lightroom you can adjust export settings to a certain px size and a certain dpi of your choice.

I read the title and was about to give you a formula for Farmers Reducer. Sorry.

• Haha
Reactions: zx9
I know I would lose details , I should have shot at a lower resolution. Lesson learned. It for a course. I’m on. The images was of the bbc in Salford queys at night showing the bbc , the logo is fine lettering so it suffered more than the rest of the image. I’m going back to redo it

thanks for all the advice

I would think it better to shoot at full resolution then reduce during export from LR/PS/etc for whatever purpose, rather than start with a poorer image. I always shoot full res, and upload to Flickr in that, then link from TP, but if loading direct up to TP or to another app/site, I export at the required size, so by changing the longest edge to 1024px for example, file size usually comes down massively, and I can then just tweak it under our 500kb limit using the quality of jpg slider in export.

I would think it better to shoot at full resolution then reduce during export from LR/PS/etc for whatever purpose, rather than start with a poorer image. I always shoot full res, and upload to Flickr in that, then link from TP, but if loading direct up to TP or to another app/site, I export at the required size, so by changing the longest edge to 1024px for example, file size usually comes down massively, and I can then just tweak it under our 500kb limit using the quality of jpg slider in export.

Yup. Have to take a good quality picture first as you don't know what you're going to do with it :D

For pictures I'm going to post here I normally go for 1,000 pixels wide and save as quality 8 (max is 12 in CS5 or PS2023) and that seems to be enough.

On any OS-X Mac, Preview does that very nicely, using the "Export" option on the "File" menu.

It must be a very small file size limit. I usually find 1024 longest brings it to around 800kb, then reducing jpeg quality to 90% brings it between 300-450kb size.

For the course forum, I have to get it to 600 pixels across the longest side. Due to the file size

You could try tweaking the resampling and sharpening but I doubt they'd make a lot of difference:

https://www.adorama.com/alc/resize-photo-photoshop/

I'd just post it small regardless of the loss of quality and include a link to a larger copy so anyone who wanted too could see the detail.

sorted . the size reduction was too great . i did it at 3500 across the longest side and it was ok , i got it down to 1200 along the longest side

Last edited:
Back