Refurbished Apple laptop....worth it?

Edit My Images
No
Hi all

On a refurbishment website (not Apple) they have this spec'ed laptop

Apple MacBook Pro A1278 (Mid-2012/USB 3.0, MD101LL/A) - 13.3" widescreen TFT active-matrix "glossy" display (1280x800 native resolution) - Intel Core i5-3210M 2.50 GHz- 16GB DDR3 RAM - 500 GB Hard Drive - DVD±RW (±R DL) - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Gigabit Ethernet - WLAN : 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0 - FaceTime HD webcam/MIC - MacOS X High Sierra 10.13 (Please note: Do not support any newer version)

I was originally looking PC but spotted this one, it will only be for travel and backup of image files plus culling and checking the files for impending PP once back at the desktop PC

I would welcome insights on this as a choice :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

I have that very model.

Retrofitted with a SSD, it's fast enough for basic tasks. Mine spends its time mainly as a home server. It's very heavy and quite bulky by modern standards. It's a tough old bird but it wouldn't be my first choice as a travel machine.

MacBook 2012 13 inch A1278 S10 DSCN0853.JPG

I would welcome insights on this as a choice

It's a 12 year old laptop that can't run current versions of the OS with inherent security risks, an old battery and slow processor. If it's sub £100 then maybe, but you will want to replace the HDD with SSD for another £25+.

It will still function, but TBH I wouldn't unless money was really tight.

It would have to be VERY VERY cheap, my iMac is also stuck on High Sierra and it's becoming very limiting, it's not just Apple software and updates that are unavailable but an ever increasing amount of 3rd party apps too.

I have that very model.

Retrofitted with a SSD, it's fast enough for basic tasks. Mine spends its time mainly as a home server. It's very heavy and quite bulky by modern standards. It's a tough old bird but it wouldn't be my first choice as a travel machine.

View attachment 423535

It's a 12 year old laptop that can't run current versions of the OS with inherent security risks, an old battery and slow processor. If it's sub £100 then maybe, but you will want to replace the HDD with SSD for another £25+.

It will still function, but TBH I wouldn't unless money was really tight.

It would have to be VERY VERY cheap, my iMac is also stuck on High Sierra and it's becoming very limiting, it's not just Apple software and updates that are unavailable but an ever increasing amount of 3rd party apps too.

Thanks all for the user insight experiences.

I think I will pass on this and concentrate on eventually(?) getting refurbished Windows laptop :)

You don't say how much they are asking for it.
Reghardless , I think you have made the right decision. i.e. pass.

Back