Refuse Collections.

Apart from washing out a tin I also take the paper off from the likes of tins of beans, tomatoes and any paper I can take off a plastic food box ie mushrooms...and also my bottles of sparkling water. I have a glass of sparkling with evening meals. Our council have also asked that plastic food boxes be washed out .I even cut out the 'plastic'/cellophane window on some envelopes..ie post. I'm an avid recycler.

Last edited:
Apart from washing out a tin I also take the paper off from the likes of tins of beans, tomatoes and any paper I can take off a plastic food box ie mushrooms...and also my bottles of sparkling water. I have a glass of sparkling with evening meals. Our council have also asked that plastic food boxes be washed out .I even cut out the 'plastic'/cellophane window on some envelopes..ie post. I'm an avid recycler.
Most of that, removing labels from tins, plastic tops ( but they still got recycled) and cellophane from envelopes etc, were supposed to be done when we had the bags
but apparently none of that is required, now we have bins :thinking:

Frankly, it is irresponsible & anti-social to not wash recyclable items.

We make sure to read the recyclable details on our shopping and comply as best we can.

There are logical & good reasons to wash such items .....not least that food (or other organic contaminants) consigned a lot of other clean waste around that to landfill.

PS I recall reading that the sorting centres have even had to contend with disposable nappies in the recycling stream.....it is thought that the 'messaging' went wrong in regard to how the nappies should be disposed of :(

Last edited:
Most of that, removing labels from tins, plastic tops ( but they still got recycled) and cellophane from envelopes etc, were supposed to be done when we had the bags
but apparently none of that is required, now we have bins :thinking:

I did wonder if I was wasting my time taking labels off tins. So, you don't think I need to do it anymore ? I suppose the machinery does all that..somehow.

I did wonder if I was wasting my time taking labels off tins. So, you don't think I need to do it anymore ? I suppose the machinery does all that..somehow.
The recycling plants that I used to do pest control, washed and tumbled the metal, the rest used to get crushed and baled, and shipped out for burner fuel. Germany was a large consumer.
Obviously crushing and baling produced a lot of waste liquid.

The recycling plants that I used to do pest control, washed and tumbled the metal, the rest used to get crushed and baled, and shipped out for burner fuel. Germany was a large consumer.
Obviously crushing and baling produced a lot of waste liquid.

I think most would be shocked if they saw what happened to their recycled items. I recall someone who had beeen tipped off that the rubbish was just tipped into one pile followed a refuse truck and saw exactly that when it arrived at the tip. It all went into landfill. I don't think that's done anymore. About 6 miles from Gloucester is a recycling plant.

The construction workers must have been drunk... :D https://www.ubbgloucestershire.co.uk/

All our recycling goes in one bin but there's a big sorting centre in town where it does get sorted properly.

Until recently at the glass recycle centre coloured glass went in separate bins, brown, green, clear etc and were uplifted by a wagon with several compartments, now they all go in together, they must now a different system, I did ask around but nobody knew or cared?

That's the problem! When they gave us different bins/skips for different coloured glass, people didn't care and just dumped all their bottles into whichever bin/skip was most convenient/empty so once a bin/skip was contaminated, the whole thing had to go into a collective "mixed glass" pile, hence most recycled glass products being a pale turquoise coloured glass.

Back