Remote for D700

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
The Sony alpha 700 had a nice infra red remote, unfortunately the D700 doesn't. What do people use for remote shutter? is it worth paying up for a Nikon one or should I go for a cheapo ebay one?

Nikon MC-36 its great it does everything but......... you pay the price for it :(

Michael

oops i must read first! I use it more for childrent that are not sure about getting the pictuure taken once in focus I can then come away from the camera and get the interaction and click its done also for night shots long exposure

I got a Phottix Cleon off Ebay for my D200/D300, which works either wired or wireless (supposedly up to 100ft, though I'm not being that far from my camera ;):LOL:) and it works brilliantly. :) It should work with the D700 as it is the same 10 pin connection.

Phottix Cleon, definately works on the D700.

Personally I prefer an MC-30 cable release.

Pete

Just ordered one of these for mine...

Have a look at this item number on ebay 310145646231

Regards

Nigel

Thansk for the replies

I got a Phottix Cleon off Ebay for my D200/D300, which works either wired or wireless (supposedly up to 100ft, though I'm not being that far from my camera ;):LOL:) and it works brilliantly. :) It should work with the D700 as it is the same 10 pin connection.

How's the build quality? that aerial looks a bit flimsy.

Phottix Cleon, definately works on the D700.

Personally I prefer an MC-30 cable release.

MC-30 looks great but nearly £60 for a cable...

Nikon MC-36 its great it does everything but......... you pay the price for it :(

Michael

oops i must read first! I use it more for childrent that are not sure about getting the pictuure taken once in focus I can then come away from the camera and get the interaction and click its done also for night shots long exposure

Over £100 , wow!

Pete

Just ordered one of these for mine...

Have a look at this item number on ebay 310145646231

Regards

Nigel

Hi Nigel, have you received it yet? I'd be interested in the build quality.

I ordered one a while back and they sent me a Phottix Cleon II instead as a free upgrade.

Still prefer the MC-30 mind.

I'm after a remote release for my D700 as well. I have a cable release but want something a bit more remote so I've ordered a Hama radio release for a LOT less than the Nikon ML-3. The Hama one might be carp but at £22.92 inc P&P, it's a hell of a lot more affordable than £140 (+P&P) that a second hand ML-3 would cost me! When the Hama thing arrives, I'll let you know how well it works.

I'm after a remote release for my D700 as well. I have a cable release but want something a bit more remote so I've ordered a Hama radio release for a LOT less than the Nikon ML-3. The Hama one might be carp but at £22.92 inc P&P, it's a hell of a lot more affordable than £140 (+P&P) that a second hand ML-3 would cost me! When the Hama thing arrives, I'll let you know how well it works.

That would be great, thanks.

I'm looking for a remote without an aerial ideally as I am pretty clumsy and bound to snap it.

That would be great, thanks.

I'm looking for a remote without an aerial ideally as I am pretty clumsy and bound to snap it.

The Phottix doesn't need the aerial extended.. works at least 10-12 feet away without.

-Andy

Thanks Andy

but you still prefer the...

I do.. but there is a reason!

I've actually ended up losing a D200 and lens in a lake due to being away from the tripod with a wireless release and it toppled into a lake :)

515982753_0354947b5e_o.jpg

So using a MC-30 keeps me near and it stops me pottering off to make coffee as I wait for sunrise :)

-Andy

Andy,

What happened to the D200. Was it an insurance job or repairable? At least it wasn't salt water.... how long was it under?

How's the build quality? that aerial looks a bit flimsy.

As puddleduck wrote previously, if you're quite close, you don't need to extend the aerial. It is quite sturdy a telescopic aerial, as small aerials go. (y)

You can half press to pre-focus, and it also has a bulb switch.

They seem to be selling the Phottix Cleon II on Ebay, which is a slight re-design on the version I have. The receiver is slightly different, with an extra button, and the cable connecting the receiver to the camera is detachable. It theory, you could have one receiver and buy different cables to use with different cameras, should you have more than one camera. ;)

You can see the original version I have here.

You can see the new version here.

Andy,

What happened to the D200. Was it an insurance job or repairable? At least it wasn't salt water.... how long was it under?

The lens (Tamron 17-50) was a write-off, it flooded and when it dried out it was silted up, and jammed. Insurance just paid me to buy a new one (actually the pics you see was taken for insurance purposes)

The D200 although it was dead after being underwater (AF was going nuts, LCD dead, all buttons dead), actually came back to life after I dried it out in the Arizona stuff, and it was fine thereafter and I was able to resume shooting with it about 2 days later.

I sent it to Nikon UK on return, and it didn't need anything doing at all!

That is the reason I always have a backup camera :)

The lens (Tamron 17-50) was a write-off, it flooded and when it dried out it was silted up, and jammed. Insurance just paid me to buy a new one (actually the pics you see was taken for insurance purposes)

The D200 although it was dead after being underwater (AF was going nuts, LCD dead, all buttons dead), actually came back to life after I dried it out in the Arizona stuff, and it was fine thereafter and I was able to resume shooting with it about 2 days later.

That is the reason I always have a backup camera :)

Blimey that just shows that they are built like bricks!

Blimey that just shows that they are built like bricks!

Hard to say how long it was under as when I heard the "splash" time sort of froze, but I reckon I'd fished it out within 6 seconds and maybe quicker - only shallow water (9 inches) and the lens took the brunt.

I was pretty amazed it survived, especially as water has got in and messed it for a bit :thinking:

Ironically that day I could only shoot with my Fuji S5 Pro and I got some of my best shots, so it was kinda worth it :)

It arrived this morning, just long enough ago for me to fit the batteries and have a quick play to take a pic (carp!) of it in action.

The plug (10 pin, so the correct fitting!) fits snugly and doesn't really need the screw in bit which is quite fiddly to do up if you've got hands the size of mine. There's no way of securing the body of the receiver to the camera so I'll be sorting something, probably to slip into the hotshoe but maybe as simple as velcro. Not sure of the ultimate range of the thing with the aerial up but it does reach at least 10 metres with it down.

3641104318_0dbabe4a10_o.jpg

This proves that the rain in UK is heavier and worse than a pool of water! My D200 didn't survive much in August's rain while hiking in Pontneddfechan (even with a rain-coat on :shake:)!

This also goes to show why insurance is one of the best piece of kit you can buy / get!

Redhead said: On the Phottix Cleon I got, the receiver can be secured in the hotshoe. Very handy.

Handy provided you don't want to have a flash hot wired to the camera that is......

This is the Phottix on my D700..

DSC_0709-web.jpg

When attached the cord gets in the way a bit, as it needs to be long enough for wired operation, so I you end up wrapping it around the hot shoe mount to shorten it or it flops around (and can snag on things)

Redhead said: On the Phottix Cleon I got, the receiver can be secured in the hotshoe. Very handy.

Handy provided you don't want to have a flash hot wired to the camera that is......
Yep, the same for any accessory which uses the hotshoe, Phottix, GPS, level device etc (is there etc? nothing comes to mind ;):LOL:)

I'd rather have the ability to connect my remote receiver to the hotshoe than not. ;) :D

Back