Remote shutter release

Name
Rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone explain to me about my options of a remote shutter release for a Canon 400D please.

If I buy an infra red rsr can I just use it immediately or do I have to make some changes to my camera.

I know I sound thick but in my day it was a tube with a puffer on the end.:thinking:

Hama supply one for about £12 and also you can get a canon rc-5 IR i think for a bit more but you have to be in front of the camera for this to work
GWH

The IR ones need the camera to be put into timer mode and require you to be stood in front of the rig [or at least be able to point the remote at the front] as the sensor is just below the shutter release.

If you don't need to be any distance from the camera then grab a corded one, they are superb and don't require the camera to be in any special mode. You can even get ones with timer and continous shooting modes.

Have you read your instruction book fully on the subject, i found out all i needed to know on how to operate mine in no time.

Your manual must be better than mine then. All it says in mine is use the self timer, point the remote at the sensor and press the button.:thinking:

Thanks to everyone for the help.:clap:

Your manual must be better than mine then. All it says in mine is use the self timer, point the remote at the sensor and press the button.:thinking:

Thanks to everyone for the help.:clap:

It is as simple as that bud :)

Seems so, but I want to use it with a tele lens for wildlife so I expect to be behind the camera.

I quite like the look of the remote release you recommended Kendo, it does look a bit bulky though. Is it heavy? If so how do you support it while shooting, taped to the tripod leg maybe? (I'm a bit worried about it hanging by the cord).

Failing that I'll go for the cord version as I doubt I'll be far away from the camera.

The original item I intended to buy on Ebay has now gone.

I'm a little confused on this one, wil a similar product for the 40, 30, 20, etc all still work on the 350 ?

Some Canon cameras have a 2.5mm jack socket for remote release, others (like my 30D) have a Canon N3 socket. You need to get a release with the right end on the wire.

I have just got hold of a remote for my 30D from enjoyyourcamera dot com; they sell releases for both camera connectors.

B.

Some Canon cameras have a 2.5mm jack socket for remote release, others (like my 30D) have a Canon N3 socket. You need to get a release with the right end on the wire.

I have just got hold of a remote for my 30D from enjoyyourcamera dot com; they sell releases for both camera connectors.

B.

OK, can somebody confirm if the jack size and pin positions on the lower end Canons is the same as the big boys toys please.

I aim to get a 40D in the next month or two, and I'd like to have one unit that fits both, if that's possible...

Using dpreview you can compare the different Canon bodies you are interested in, side by side. One of the rows in the table tells you which connector each body has. As far as I can tell the xD and xxD are N3 connectors, whilst the xxxD bodies are E3 (2.5mm Jack)

Ben

Back