Removal of Live Security Platinum virus

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Gang,

I'm in need of some help from the computer boffs in here.

Got a malicous virus into my computer..... don't worry this link is safe ( genuine microsoft malware protection center).....

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Live+Security+Platinum

At the bottom of the page it states that microsoft security essentials will detect and remove the virus if a full scan is run.
This i have done and indeed it has freed up the computer to allow me to access internet etc but the "Live security platinum" program/virus remains in my programs and i'm unable to uninstall it............Does anyone know what i need to do to shift it completely??

Is this a recent thing Asha?

If so you may be able to go back to a restore point before the virus was there but you will probably lose some data if it is not backed up.

I assume you have tried to uninstall through control panel?

Heather

Is this a recent thing Asha?

If so you may be able to go back to a restore point before the virus was there but you will probably lose some data if it is not backed up.

I assume you have tried to uninstall through control panel?

Heather

Yes it came about yesterday evening...I tried restore point but to no avail.....fortuanatly the security system (microsoft security essentials) i have installed has managed to at least put this rogue on hold as it were and allows me to access my programs and internet etc but I'll be damned if I can remove it completely from the computer.

I have found one or two links online suggesting ideas of what to do but I'm a little concerned that they are themselves malicous hence why i'm requesting help from those in the know on here!

Edit: yes i keep tring to uninstall through the control but again it refuses to budge!

Last edited:
Well, that's the extent of my computer knowledge! :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hopefully someone else will be along soon!

Heather

Yuck! I'd go straight for professional help. Any idea how you it got it? Did it get through a firewall and so forth?

Install and run malwarebytes.

Ps there's a computers section ;)

OK I'll check malwarebytes

If this is in the wrong section (as it looks like it may be!) then perhaps a mod would care to move it.....thanks!

Yuck! I'd go straight for professional help. Any idea how you it got it? Did it get through a firewall and so forth?

Not 100% sure Jon......had been surfing for holiday accommodation in France ( was considering a weekend away !)....I recall one of the links being a little long winded in loading but nothing was obvious.....not long after all internet access and most programs were blocked!!

Fortuanatly I haven't succombed to these very often as i'm generally careful what I click on but they are a darned nuisance!

If malwarebytes doesn't find it try the online scanner at Kaspersky.com

Ditch ms security essentials and get avast free av, it will get rid. (y)

Thanks guys...just downloaded malwarebytes and running scan atm.

Wow....it looks like it's gone!

Many thanks for all your help .....(y)

Back